Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's not really worth seeing unless you're a tourist and it's on your checklist. The clifftop walks around it though are fantastic on a good day.

Is this a joke, the Giant's causeway is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

That Italian Guy posted:

I think you may be underestimating how weird those rocks looks like to someone who has never seen them in person before. I mean, it's a natural landmark, not the Louvre; but it's a nice stop if you are taking any kind of tourist tour of the area.

The Giant's Causeway is a grand day out where you can marvel at a bizarre and unnatural looking geological formation, and other oddities like the Giant's boot along picturesque Antrim coastline. I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in geology.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I'd certainly put it in my list of things for foreigners to see in Ireland along with:
-Newgrange
-The Rock of Cashel
-King John's Castle
-Clonmacnoise
-Birr Castle
-Cliffs of Moher
-The National Museum
-Skellig Michael

And probably a bunch of miscellaneous activities people can do in places like Belfast and Dublin like the Guiness Brewery or Titanic tour, if they are into that kind of thing.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 30, 2024

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Most of the places I want to go to are based on how weird their rocks look.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

crispix posted:

>:/

are you being facetious?!?

Of course not, I was the guy who was defending the Giant's Causeway in the first place.

I'm going to go to Iceland in 2026 and see the eclipse and as many weird rocks as possible.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shoehead posted:

I thought the story was one giant tore up a chunk of the ground and hosed it at the other and the resulting hole in the ground ended up being Lough Neagh (and the chunk of land ended up forming the Isle of Mann which really begs the question of where the gently caress Fionn was aiming)

It also begs the question of why Fionn was a giant for a little while instead of a normal sized man as usual

Fionn is one of those mythological characters that became an increasingly more ill defined culture hero that would just show up anywhere in all kinds of stories and after a while would sometimes became a literal giant in myths like that instead of a great leader of men. St Patrick is actually kind of similar, its hilarious how many Irish myths just have Patrick show up at the end out of nowhere like a cameo of a popular character in a spin off sitcom, you half expect the audience to start hooting and hollering when he converts an ancient Oisin to Christianity or the Children of Lir in some versions of their respective myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I was just thinking, do we actually have halfway serious policies in the work to tackle the fact that we are absolutely loving terrible as a GHG emitter? Like quite literally the worst or second worst in Europe based on certain measurements?

I never see environmental stuff be brought up in any serious capacity but we are just unbelievably bad, I guess nobody wants to poke the bear that is angry farmers, as usual?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 20, 2024