Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Absolutely awful, the disenfranchised people plus far right agitators combo was clearly brewing since COVID if not before. This is a harsh wake up call for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Knife attack outside a school on Parnell square east injuring children and adults followed by gript posting the guy subdued and arrested was an algerian national

It's also not been confirmed by any reputable sources yet, not that it would matter. On another "wouldn't matter, but it would be ironic given the fash mob", the rumor mill has it that the person who initially tackled the attacker is a Brazilian guy.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Valko posted:

Yep.

https://twitter.com/Lazare76/status/1727836772128661931

I guess because he looks like a local (and maybe even sounds like one after being here 20 years) he's considered 'one of the good ones'. Or not. I'm Northern so I've been paying more attention to the far right in England and their effects on politics. If the likes of Farage and Robinson had been nipped in the bud early the UK might not be in the position it's in now. I guess a lot of people in the Republic thought 'It could never happen here'. And now look.

I think the one that had been here a long time is the attacker, not the Brazilian guy. He has only been here a year.
Reading through the articles about him, it also sounds like his bike (left inside the Garda cordon while he was questioned about what happened) has disappeared during the ensuing chaos. The wording was vague enough ("he doesn't know where it is, he left it inside the Garda cordon") that this may be a misinterpretation though.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 24, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

breadshaped posted:

I'd not been checking in with Conor McGregor recently but apparently he's made his full transition to spokesperson of the far-right in Ireland.

He deleted a post yesterday calling for people on the streets after saying "We are at war" to his 10m followers.
The far right / qanon types have been on the rise in recent years, although this is probably the largest event by far. A few years ago you would see nuts like Gemma O'Doherty protesting about Bill Gates's mind control chips in COVID vaccines outside Google, but there has been a serious escalation during the conflict in Ukraine, with far right agitators organising protests against refugees and the other crap you see all over Europe.

I think last night was the perfect storm of something terrible happening, it being coopted by actual neonazis plus a lot of disenfranchised people joining in the chaos because of the proximity to the city center and the chance to blow off some anger.

These last ones are young men with no prospects, living in a city that is more and more gentrified every day, with cost of living and rent shooting through the roof. On top of that, several of them have a history of petty to mid violent crimes and, having been minors during most of this history, also have a history of non criminal prosecution, emboldening them. It's a very fertile crowd to be radicalised and and even larger % would be up to set poo poo on fire and loot stores in a city that has mostly left them behind.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah I used to live right next to where the stabbing happened about 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure the rent prices have gone up to 4 times what we used to pay in the meantime. For reference, that was just short of 500€ for a two rooms/1 bathroom apartment that I was sharing with another person. I would be surprised if the prices in D1 are below €1700 for a similar accommodation nowadays. poo poo's hosed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, having lived in a few different countries the Garda is probably the "nicest" police force I've had experience with, but at the end of the day it is not surprising that they are deployed against people threatening the pockets of the rich, that's their role.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

From what the Garda said, there were between 100 and 200 fash at the scene; they were later joined by 300-400 locals.

quote:

Gardaí said it appeared news of those initial clashes spread and groups of people – including boys, older teenagers and young men – then joined the violence, quickly swelling the numbers involved. The same Garda sources said that at its height, perhaps 500 people were involved, with many of those opportunistic rioters intent on clashing with gardaí and looting shops, rather than being linked to the earlier far-right protest.
34 people were arrested last night.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The amount of eejits with their phones on taking videos of what they were doing is going to bite them on the arse hard.
This really is the Irish January 6th.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Valko posted:

If this our jan 6th it implies people might eventually be prosecuted. I’m not optimistic.
Fair enough, so far we only have the bail audience report https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/11/24/dozens-appear-in-court-on-public-order-and-other-charges-following-dublin-rioting/.

Most of these charges seem fairly small potatoes tbh - being rude or threatening to Garda, stealing stuff, the worst of it seems to be a bunch of people who were carrying knives and such. Doesn't look like there's going to be any real consequences even if people are prosecuted for them.

Edit: I guess the biggest consequences are going to be for the handful of people that work corporate jobs, like there's a guy who is an accountant at a firm or another one that does engineering work for various tech companies, according to their LinkedIn. I presume someone may find themselves out of a job given how bad of a publicity being associated with these assholes is.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 24, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Valko posted:

Yeah, I heard that too. The far right calling it censorship or some nonsense.

And the irony of this would be funny if it wasn't so... I just can't find the words. Get mad at a stabbing of women and children and then go threaten female immigrant workers with a knife:

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1728183053925941553

I can't find any paper talking about it - Google first page for "Ashtown Aldi knife" only returns that Twitter account or people reposting it, so not sure if this is some old stuff.

It looks like they are at least talking about changing the new incitement to hatred act to include social medias. It's funny that it was not there already since this act is from last October, iirc? https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/11/24/taoiseach-vows-to-modernise-laws-on-incitement-to-hatred-to-include-social-media/

A bit more on new legislation here https://www.thejournal.ie/cctv-incitement-to-hatred-legislation-6231721-Nov2023/?utm_source=twitter_short

Of course this can't be retroactive, so it won't have any impact on what happend already, but maybe it'll make things a bit more difficult for the fash. At least for the really dumb ones.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 25, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ah sorry I didn't see that when I Googled the fact this morning.

Anyway, I was in the city center earlier and it looks like they have built some waist high fencing around the Parliament and the Foreign Affairs ministry. The ministry has two rounds of fencing, the first one is the usual stuff you'd see at concerts or such, the second one (as the one in front of the Parliament) seems to be anchored to the ground and buttressed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

GhastlyBizness posted:

He was saying how his family were wracked with shame and grief at Leo’s statement about his daughter’s return. Which… I dunno, obviously a traumatic situation but that was genuinely as anodyne a comment imaginable.

I made the mistake of checking Reddit (I know) and Ireland is "antisemitism: the country" according to the World News subreddit. Leo using the prodigal son parable is a way to use passive language so that he could avoid condemning Hamas, apparently (specifically the "was lost" part).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 2, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I was listening to the radio about a new poll for the 2024 elections and I was horrified to hear how much traction the fash are getting hammering on immigration, to the point that SF is down 10% from the last poll and almost all of that is going to various "Indipendents" that are single-issue campaigning on immigration.

Also the fact that immigration is suddenly the most burning question, topping housing and everything: https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/01/29/surge-in-prominence-of-immigration-issues-according-to-new-survey/

Of course this being an online poll of some kind it could suffer from the usual right-wing tactics, but it's still scary to see.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah he did say he wanted to retire from politics at 50, so I guess he took the referendum result as a wake up call and decided to anticipate things.

I am, however, partial to the "going back to work after a bank holiday sucks" school of thought.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Speaking of Leo, is there a good compiled list of his misdeeds? I know the thread is fairly anti-Leo and while I don't really have any particular reason to like him, he seems "fairly ok" as far a conservative politicians go - with the obvious failures to address things like the housing crisis or rise of the far right while in power. It may just be that my personal experience for conservative politicians is on a scale that goes from Berlusconi to Orban, so it may skew my baseline so far that what seems like a milquetoast one barely registers, but I may be missing something.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Getting milled so hard that you end your partner's political career.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

Is that better? I did a walking tour when I was in Belfast
I did one years ago while visiting Belfast and it was ok, although quite a bit depressing as you can imagine. I guess it comes down to the person running the tour as well.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I think you may be underestimating how weird those rocks looks like to someone who has never seen them in person before. I mean, it's a natural landmark, not the Louvre; but it's a nice stop if you are taking any kind of tourist tour of the area.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 30, 2024

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Fionn is one of those mythological characters that became an increasingly more ill defined culture hero that would just show up anywhere in all kinds of stories and after a while would sometimes became a literal giant in myths like that instead of a great leader of men. St Patrick is actually kind of similar, its hilarious how many Irish myths just have Patrick show up at the end out of nowhere like a cameo of a popular character in a spin off sitcom, you half expect the audience to start hooting and hollering when he converts an ancient Oisin to Christianity or the Children of Lir in some versions of their respective myths.

St. Patricking into the story like it's an episode of Sinnfeild.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I was driving home from the city center today and I drove next to an anti immigrants group in Coolock with flags and all. Quite a sad sight, I think they were manifesting outside a structure that is going to house some refugees be set on fire in a few weeks.

A few years ago, if I ran into a bunch of men waving the Irish flag, my first thought would have gone to Six Nations or something else of the sort. Really scary that, when I saw a flag popping up in a neighbour's house, I immediately started wondering if they are a mega chud.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2024

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I like that, when Ireland elects a new Taoiseach, the 5 new posts in the Irish Politics thread are about the decline of Rock Shandy.

This is not a critique, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Re-turn is a private company. So any uncollected deposits instead of coming back to the exchequer, go into their pockets.
The CEO was supply chain director for Tesco, and it's non-executive director is the managing director of Britvic Ireland, the biggest soft drinks company in the country who produce many Irish brands, as well as being the exclusive producer and distributer for many international brands.

It sounds like a massive scam for the people who create plastic and can waste to profit from, while shifting the burden of recycling from themselves to the consumer. So typical FG.
Maybe this was a scheme to get people to return more stuff, cause learning about it has definitely convinced me to return more stuff.