Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
What's up SF only running 44 candidates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Skull Servant posted:

Looks like they are hedging their bets in a lot of constituencies and not running multiple candidates to prevent vote diluting. Kustom said earlier that the party attempted to run three candidates in Donegal last GE and ended up only electing one, when they probably could have gotten two in the constituency.

They're running at least one candidate in every constituency except Cork North West. Not sure why they're passing there, maybe a Munster poster will know more.

Another possibility is that they aren't overplaying their hand, having a very bad day at the polls in the Presidential election (though they were never going to have a good one tbf) and an underwhelming day at the local and EU elections, losing nearly half their councillors and one MEP.

That said, there seems to be a lot of people flipping to SF, at least in my area. I've heard "maybe they won't follow through on their promises, but we should give them a try". It would be interesting to see if that view is held elsewhere, because my constituency is probably going to return the same amount of SF TDs as they did last time - 2.

From what I've read they wouldn't be able to form a minority government with 44 TDs, even if they all get elected, is that the case? If so, what's the best case scenario?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Honestly the housing stuff is so loving nuts that if you've got a party there making it a policy plank and have never been in power to disappoint it should be a slam dunk.

I keep an eye on housing fb pages from when we were worried I might get chucked out of the UK and it's insane. Like lmao move to galway and live in a closet that costs more than an HMO up here.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So have you lot got a coalition yet? What's the craic?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Those polls look very encouraging- what's the chances of no agreement being reached and another election to SF can run enough candidates in to sweep?