Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Skull Servant posted:

Also, with regards to Renua, they are seemingly getting financial support from somewhere. Seen some posters go up in my area, Louth, as of today.
They still get the guts of half a million in state funding based on the votes they got in the 2016 election.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0807/1067463-state-funding-political-parties/

Venomous posted:

Not sure if I've written this right, but am I right in thinking that Ireland's not experiencing the same kind of populist/nationalist resurgence as the rest of Europe because FF and FG never stopped being nationalist parties, especially after they joined the EU
No it's because Sinn Féin have the populist/nationalist protest vote locked in but from the left rather than the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

Renua with their finger on the pulse of the electorate

Standish
May 21, 2001

This guy is in for a treat when someone tells him what "SF" stands for:
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1223402712576020482

Standish
May 21, 2001

Peter Casey tallies at 1% in Dublin West and 3.21% in Donegal. So that looks like the end for this particular populist blowhard but I'm sure there'll be another one along next election (anyone remember Declan Ganley?)

Standish
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1226496561036890112
looking forward to our new rulers, combining the integrity of FF with the transparency of SF

Standish
May 21, 2001

lemonadesweetheart posted:

FF/SF would be the second worst possibility to come from this. FF/FG being the worst.

if somehow they needed to be propped up by the Healy-Raes at the cost of Michael being minister for the environment and Danny being minster for transport, that would be the worst.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Can't see Martin agreeing to this as he's staked so much publicly on saying never - might be time for a heave? I know there's definately fellas in FF who would want SF as their first pick as coalition
That is exactly what the Greens did in 2007, Trevor Sargent spent the campaign swearing that he'd never sit in cabinet with FF, then resigned as leader and in a shocking turn of events was appointed as a Minister of State (technically outside the cabinet) in the ensuing FF-GP coalition.

Standish
May 21, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

I think the message should be, this election saw a huge surge in support for left ideas. So why could Labour not capitalise on that?
You answered your own question :v:

Seriously though, Labour couldn't even manage to vote against appealing the €13 billion Apple tax judgement, that's right, they voted in favour of a 0.005% tax rate for the richest company in the world.

Standish
May 21, 2001

oh no how terrible

Standish
May 21, 2001

Blut posted:

He was known to the gardai for previous assault incidents, this wasn't a first time offense.

Its a tragedy when anyone gets shot, but this guy seriously assaulted a Spar employee before the gardai got there. Then was talked to by gardai for almost 2 hours.

This isn't true to start with:

quote:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dozens-protest-in-dublin-after-shooting-of-george-nkencho-1058248.html

Gardaí were called to a business premises in Hartstown on the Co Meath/Dublin border at 12.15pm on Wednesday.
“The less-than-lethal use of force options were unsuccessful, and a number of shots were discharged from an official Garda firearm at approximately 12.35pm.”
Please don't repost stuff you read on social media as if it's fact.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Marenghi posted:

Was he known to the guards.
I’ve seen that mentioned without proof on Reddit and Twitter.
this appears to be the only hard info (if anonymous garda sources count as "hard info"):

quote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-shooting-inquiry-will-look-at-graduated-use-of-force-1.4448355

Garda sources have confirmed Mr Nkencho was known to suffer from mental illness and that officers have been called to the house several times to deal with “mental health and domestic issues”.
So the unfortunate man had his problems but he was hardly the cross between Hannibal Lecter and Daniel Kinahan that reddit is making him out to be.

Blut posted:

The gardai are no saints and regularly make terrible mistakes, but this was done completely by the textbook.
I'm very impressed that you can tell all that from a blurry phone video shot from 500 meters away, but I think I'll wait for the outcome of the inquiry before I make up my mind

Standish
May 21, 2001

hmm "Barbara Pym", I wonder how they settled on that name

quote:

It was only at her friends’ repeated urging that Pym excised any reference to Friedbert Gluck, her SS boyfriend with whom she had a love affair in Germany before the second world war.
Byrne doesn’t dodge the uncomfortable implication that Pym’s phase as a Nazi sympathiser (she even had a swastika pin that she wore around Oxford) went on longer than most middle-class Britons in the 1930s, but she is clear too how completely it was bound up with Pym’s feelings for prewar Germany as a land of music, mountains and philosophy and, above all, as a crucial bulwark against the terrifying threat of communism from Russia. It perhaps says something about Pym’s blind spot on the subject that she had to be badgered by her friend and first reader Jock Liddell into excising Nazis from the typescript of Some Tame Gazelle.

quote:

Byrne has unearthed the genuinely alarming information that Pym, in the 1930s, was a reasonably committed supporter of Nazism. She visited Nazi Germany a number of times, had a boyfriend called Friedbert Glück, an SS officer, and met and talked to Julius Streicher. If Jonathan Cape had accepted the first version of Some Tame Gazelle and published it in 1936 they would have brought out a novel, set some way in the future, in which Belinda, who knits socks for the ‘poor Nazis’, reflects ‘how delightful it would be to see if she could still speak German! How she would enjoy remembering with them their lamented Führer’, and regrets ‘the terrible revolution of the 1950s and all the dear Nazis in exile in Africa...’ This version, preserved in manuscript in the Bodleian, might have been enough to stop Pym’s career in its tracks.

Standish fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 9, 2021

Standish
May 21, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

Looking at the parties running locally here in London I was thinking that it'd be pretty funny to run as a Sinn Féin candidate for the Westminster City Council next time around. gently caress all people voted near me, so the sheer comedy might get me a cushy paycheque.
It's been done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

Marenghi posted:

I think the judges weren't convinced Dowdall was the trustworthy witness that the media had been painting him as. I guess they had an interest in that because they could use him to attack SF.

On the face of it though he only became a witness when it was going to be pinned on him, so it came across that he was lying to save his own skin.

https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1648254070799360000 :lol: