Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Question IRL posted:

The plight of taxi drivers here is really difficult.

One thing I have noticed is a number of female friends who have said that they would not take a taxi home if the driver was black and they were on their own.

On the one hand this is a form of prejudice that's clouding their decision and logically they are no more at risk from a white taxi driver than a non-white one.

On the other side, it's an irrational fear on their part. And you can't try and "actually..." that away. (As it is I have a good idea how safe and dangerous it is in Ireland. But people dont want to be told "you are totally safe. If you are attacked it was statistically unlikely to happen.")

Plus as a man, I can't really go and lecture women on their lived in experiences.

On the other hand, I think actually you can lecture people on their racist prejudices, whether they're women or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is ISF an acceptable source for all my Ireland-related news or should I broaden my horizons? I'm only half-joking here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

People were doing the same poo poo during the Black Death according to written accounts, I don't think you're going to defeat what appears to be an aspect of human nature so trivially, even if I do fondly wish people weren't so loving stupid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blut posted:

They seem to be handling crisis management a lot better than certain other English speaking countries.

Well, god knows they don't have stiff competition.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

From a foreigner: is it considered acceptable to discuss the Troubles? I assume there's a wide gap between some foreigner saying "up the RA" to simply ignoring it happened altogether.

EDIT: Horrible loving snipe, I must apologize.