Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
a phantom menace is the best prequel because it introduces watto, the best character of any of the movies, and also has that creepy child anakin / adult padme romance subtext. discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Mods?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sith is better

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Episode 1 is the only one that doesn't look like complete rear end. They actually filmed poo poo on location, built sets and props and not everything is in front of a million billion green screens.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

3 is the best even if george w bush wins at the end

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Roth posted:

Sith is better

sith is pretty drat good but has a noticeable and unforgivable lack of watto. definitely a significant step up from the mess that was attack of the clones though

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Episode 1 is the only one that doesn't look like complete rear end. They actually filmed poo poo on location, built sets and props and not everything is in front of a million billion green screens.

truth

also duel of the fates is close second only to empire as far as duels go

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the best prequel is 1 and 3 because they’re not attack of the clones

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ROTS has the most Ewan Per Minute (ep/m) so it’s clearly the best

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

well why not posted:

ROTS has the most Ewan Per Minute (ep/m) so it’s clearly the best

This, and also the “so it’s treason then” and “power! Unlimited power!” scenes. So it’s really not even close

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This, and also the “so it’s treason then” and “power! Unlimited power!” scenes. So it’s really not even close

And if you're into the intensely choreographed lightsaber duels of the prequels (which I am) there may never be a better one than Obi wan v Anakin on Mustafar

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Will just posting Goatse in this get me a ban or just a prob?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Rogue One is a very good prequel

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kill All Cops posted:

Rogue One is a very good prequel

A compelling argument.

For what the thread is talking I have to give it to Attack of the Clones, on the grounds of having a decent battle / lightsaber fight for the entire climax. Phantom Menace is terrible at every moment except possibly the final showdown with Darth maul and iirc it's interspliced with other, terrible parts, and Revenge of the Sith, while the opening scene before they land is the best part of the prequels and probably the best space battle in the nonology, is absolutely unwatchable. A terrible, terrible movie that I wouldn't even go see a second time because it was so bad.

So it's Attack of the Clones, merely for having the most watchable number of minutes out of the entire trilogy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RocktheCaulk posted:

Will just posting Goatse in this get me a ban or just a prob?

It's a grey forum

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

ItBreathes posted:

A compelling argument.

For what the thread is talking I have to give it to Attack of the Clones, on the grounds of having a decent battle / lightsaber fight for the entire climax. Phantom Menace is terrible at every moment except possibly the final showdown with Darth maul and iirc it's interspliced with other, terrible parts, and Revenge of the Sith, while the opening scene before they land is the best part of the prequels and probably the best space battle in the nonology, is absolutely unwatchable. A terrible, terrible movie that I wouldn't even go see a second time because it was so bad.

So it's Attack of the Clones, merely for having the most watchable number of minutes out of the entire trilogy.

Counterpoint, the "love" scene with padme is unwatchable garbage. They too well done to even be funny bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HnPxdnuXpM

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
the prequels were good because i was 4 when the phantom menace came out and jar jar made funny noises

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

this is super untrue and there's tons of models and poo poo throughout the prequels the entire mustafar fight is done with practical effects and it's rad.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

mustafar is pretty cool and dont get how someone could not like it

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

It does look the best but it's because they shot it on actual film. The others were also shot on location with sets and extensive miniature work, but they essentially used first generation HD digital cameras and had to work around a lot of their shortcomings. For instance the blue color channel on the cameras for Episode 2 had less resolution that the other two which hosed up a lot of the blue screen shots, so they had to work around that.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Furthermore the best "raw" data output they could get from the Episode 2 cameras was apparently YUV sampled at 4:2:2, which for you non-video nerds means that the luminosity had higher resolution than the color information (you can see a similar effect on low-quality JPEGs where red colors seem to bleed out over other things). For Episode 3 they could get full resolution on all channels, and you'll notice it doesn't have a lot of shots of people standing in backlight where the bloom from the lighting tries to hide a blurry bluescreen effect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's Rogue One op

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Check this out nerds, attack of the clones is the best prequel because it's the worst.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
compelling arguments from all. consider this defense for clones: dexter jettser is the most characterized character in all of star wars lore

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
He plays baller music in his diner imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE_aMN0aWA4

It's written by John Williams' 60 year old kid Joseph who also sings in Toto.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Hello there!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elfgames posted:

this is super untrue and there's tons of models and poo poo throughout the prequels the entire mustafar fight is done with practical effects and it's rad.

Yeah I don't get the hate for Clones and Sith. Watching random clips on youtube and it all looks awesome, especially for something made in the early 2000s.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my problems with revenge of the sith are pretty much entirely with the acting, storytelling, and writing, all of which i think are the worst of any star wars movie. rise of skywalker may give it a run for its money when it comes to storytelling and writing though.

"from my point of view, the jedi are evil!" is one of the worst lines in a movie ever gently caress i hated revenge of the sith so much

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They're all terrible and indefensible.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
godfather 2

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
when i was a kid i legitimately liked attack of the clones and i havent seen any of them in like a decade so ill say that one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cant think of one, sorry

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The only prequel movie worth a drat is Revenge of the Sith and that's entirely because of Sheev. Everything is else is hot garbage.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the new planet of the apes trilogy with andy sirkis is p cool

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
the best prequel is the clone wars tv series

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

the best prequel is the clone wars tv series

which one

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I thought the prequels were real bad, until I rewatched all six before Force Awakens came out. Turns out Clones and Sith were actually really good; I enjoyed rewatching them a lot more than Hope and Return. That's my Star Wars story.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 25, 2020

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
im permabanned poster prequelstomper58. i first watching the star wars when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “clone wars” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “in my opinion, it is the jedi that are bad” and “i hate sand” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “ironic” style of prequel humor was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” the prequels to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

also empire sucks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

RocktheCaulk posted:

also empire sucks.

:nono:

First probe incoming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

lord fifth posted:

a phantom menace is the best prequel because it introduces watto, the best character of any of the movies, and also has that creepy child anakin / adult padme romance subtext. discuss

drat wish I would have caught this one but eh, statute of limitations or something.