Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Should I be buying things from the shop? I forgot about it like a week after it was introduced, I think I bought one epic thingy that I've never used. God knows I'm sitting on a billion of the currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buy the golds they have a timer ofike 4 weeks? 6? Something like that.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Pilchenstein posted:

I thought you used to be able to play a burst spell and pass to keep the turn going but they changed that because it felt unintuitive or some such? Did they change it back and nobody told me?

Ah, you’re right, that’s what it was.

Re: Spirit forges. They refresh more quickly than most other things in the shop, so if you buy them on cooldown it will take quite a bit longer to afford an epic relic. As a rule, I only buy them as needed when I want to try a purple relic on someone else. It’s obviously better if you’ve got one of the broader use purples.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Yeah unless you are turbo grinding poo poo to be peak efficiency/completionist won't need to buy the "give a guy an epic slot" item. I've optimized a dude every couple of weeks after coming back to the mode and most don't need one of the two epics I've unlocked, since the endgame right now is just "enough champs usable in monthly challenges"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Given how much they want for 5 shards in the store it would probably be more than I’d like, but it would be nice if I could just give them a bit of money to unlock and upgrade or speed up unlocking and upgrading a few champions, cause I see the roadblocks they put in place are very soon gonna grind my pace of progress to a halt.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

What we've seen of upcoming content implies that we're going to be getting a bunch of new champions (to PoC) and additional star levels all over, so stalling in being able to progress will presumably be much further out. I wouldn't mind if they added any options for monetization that make sense for the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m having trouble imagining how they can escalate the power level further without devolving into nonsense

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is this a misnomer? This and most champions don’t have a custom campaign, right?

From my purchases.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is this working as intended or is it bugged?

Hold It! and Follow are both supposed to target the strongest enemy, but when they both trigger the second to go off targets the next strongest enemy. Not complaining, but I was surprised it worked that way.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Working as intended. The same applies when you get multiple copies of Hold It!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ve had a lot of little interactions like that that are unclear. Unlike MtG, where the text is pretty unambiguous.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I’ve had a lot of little interactions like that that are unclear. Unlike MtG, where the text is pretty unambiguous.
There's no underlying, human ruleset like for MTG or many other digital CCGs. It's a combination of features implemented by software engineers detached from the design process. The outcomes are consistent but frequently are not what you'd expect.

Broad example: if you pass after only using a burst spell your opponent gets the "end turn" button instead of pass.

The game pretty much programs you to expect that they can't end turn if you've done something. But, it works differently. probably as a side effect of burst spells not passing priority to your opponent and "pass" being registered as your action rather than for a rules/gameplay reason.

e: I was wrong about why. See reply below.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 23, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They changed the burst priority in a patch a long while ago because people would often use a cheap burst to get the opponent to spend mana or pass the end turn over to you which meant the opponent went under the mana for something threatening like ruination or pass you back the attack turn and lost.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They changed the burst priority in a patch a long while ago because people would often use a cheap burst to get the opponent to spend mana or pass the end turn over to you which meant the opponent went under the mana for something threatening like ruination or pass you back the attack turn and lost.
I'm not sure if it's better or worse to know they deliberately lowered the skill ceiling and made a core mechanic highly unintuitive.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think at the time it was mainly because it slowed the game down a lot to have everyone slowly play out one burst spell at a time and passing back and forth before they committed to any big plays once the mana has been drained from the passes and it mostly happened at the higher level of play and tripped up newer players that it was the "optimal" way to play.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think at the time it was mainly because it slowed the game down a lot to have everyone slowly play out one burst spell at a time and passing back and forth before they committed to any big plays once the mana has been drained from the passes and it mostly happened at the higher level of play and tripped up newer players that it was the "optimal" way to play.
I'm starting to wonder if my issue with it is that I had no idea it was changed because I was gone during the period it was changed. It struck me as highly unintuitive and cost me a few games before I figured out what was going on.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I pulled up their reasoning at the time, it was partially that you couldn't play a burst/focus spell to pass priority that way mid-combat and they wanted to unify how it worked and partially what you said. I was never that good at the game, but as I understand it high level play could become very focused on durdly "I play a burst spell and pass the turn to you, are you going to commit" "well, I play a burst spell and pass the turn back, are you going to commit" and it was just a needlessly fiddly play pattern.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
As someone who played Teemo/Cait around the time of the change I both 100% supported the change to burst spells counting against ending the turn and bemoaned it taking away some of my tricks. Much like Damage on the Stack removal from MTG, it was a Good Thing that I didn't like due to removal of a system mastery mechanic in a versus environment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I assumed I was missing something when none of my Deathless creatures revived, but no the item that gives it is just broken, and apparently has been for months.

Maybe an indicator of the state the game is in?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Found out the hard way that Tough doesn’t stack.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Rinkles posted:

Found out the hard way that Tough doesn’t stack.

Impact's the only keyword that stacks that way, for what it's worth. It mostly comes up because the win condition a lot of yordle champions (or the mecha-yordles Rumble produces, or sometimes Poro King) is getting a bunch of Impact and having the final damage hit them over the top on attack no matter what.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I assumed I was missing something when none of my Deathless creatures revived, but no the item that gives it is just broken, and apparently has been for months.

Maybe an indicator of the state the game is in?

Yeah. Well, to be specific it is broken when your units have it. Appears to work fine on AI units.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you tell how much damage a unit has (lost health)? It comes up often with Tahm Kench and healing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just had Kalista as a support champion. Pity she’s not a regular Path champion. She felt really strong.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rinkles posted:

Can you tell how much damage a unit has (lost health)? It comes up often with Tahm Kench and healing.
You can sometimes figure it out by looking at the base card, which is an option when you examine a card with (I think) right click or a long press, and then adding up the buffs/items it has but other than that no, and it's annoying :v:

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

I believe part of the drive for adding new content is going to be adding existing champions to PoC. Seems like it would take way less development effort compared to new champions, and some of them could be really fun if fleshed out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Need Noxus and Runeterra champions to unlock the next set of adventures, but none of my Vault rolls have been Noxus yet so it’s gonna take a while.

For Runeterra I’ll likely go with the Poro King. Wouldn’t be my first pick, but it’s where the chips fell.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Rinkles posted:

Need Noxus and Runeterra champions to unlock the next set of adventures, but none of my Vault rolls have been Noxus yet so it’s gonna take a while.

For Runeterra I’ll likely go with the Poro King. Wouldn’t be my first pick, but it’s where the chips fell.

I found him super fun!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Poro King is fun to level, but he's not amazing for the monthlies, except for a few modifiers. Jax is probably the best in that regard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I need to start paying more attention to attacking order. Not putting my trampler first cost me a game in the monthly challenge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

:woop: got lucky and unlocked Illaoi without any wild fragments. I already had a Bilgewater champion, but I’ll take it. (E: and she has a campaign, so more loot!)

There seems to be milestone quests that aren’t on the regular quest tracker, because I’ll occasionally complete one without knowing how. Any idea how to look these up ahead of time?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seems the Deathless item is fixed.

It’s pretty funny with the power that gives your Champions ephemeral copies

E: actually idk how I ended up with two Deathless non-ephemeral Caitlyns.

E2: oh right I used a Chronobreak revive, which would restore the Deathless attribute

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 29, 2024

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Lissandra is a beast. I went though my first play through against her as 4* ASol, and I'm not sure how a good portion of the roster has a fair shot against her.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They updated. You can buy Norra as a champ now. (Thank gently caress, sitting at 50/50 was so painful.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Casual turn 3 zero mana Aurelion (yeah I had the deck to support it but still), as a first experience it was awesome (one star, before any leveling).

Quite the contrast to Mordekaiser, who’s been a bit of an uphill battle.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 2, 2024

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Wollawolla posted:

Lissandra is a beast. I went though my first play through against her as 4* ASol, and I'm not sure how a good portion of the roster has a fair shot against her.
I just beat her with 4* ASol and it was about the right level of challenge tbh. I honestly do not see the point of even attempting that adventure with anyone else though - it's just going to be up to an hour of frustrating bullshit for no reward 99% of the time. Obviously any champ in the roster could beat it but it's entirely down to luck, so I guess it's really just there to keep the people who've maxxed out everything else from spending time with their loved ones for a while longer :v:

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

The other "safe" option seems to be stun-heavy decks that can lock down sections of the board to create openings for attacks and prevent early blow-out losses. Yasuo and Jhin do well, Gnar seems to be alright, and I've seen a Kindred build that uses 3 of the common stun-on-play relics to cheese wide stuns with her champion spell, 2 stun and a GA also works well to fill the board.

phbr
Jan 6, 2013

The Vegetable of Doom
I've beaten her with ASol, Yasuo, Nidalee and LeBlanc for now (all maxed) and honestly none of them felt like super lucky runs, but to be fair these are also all very strong champs. Some of the weaker ones probably need very specific setups (maybe with epics relics) or some lucky powers.

One thing that might be bugged but is a very strong strategy at the moment: the middle/top path has a fixed Mind Melt node that lets you cut cards for 2 health each. Normally the health cost doubles with every cut, but for this one it stays at 2, so you can basically throw out all but your strongest cards. 3*Guardian's Orb LB becomes absolutely bonkers that way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Game is slowly getting a little stale, but it’s always a joy when you unexpectedly discover another crazy interaction.

Like zero mana flipped Katarina being a one card win con (she rallies on etb, and returns to hand when she strikes).

And cards like Ahri are just pure fun, and a reminder of the cool creative things you can do within the framework of (loosely speaking) MtG rules when you’re not bound by a paper release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

phbr posted:

I've beaten her with ASol, Yasuo, Nidalee and LeBlanc for now (all maxed) and honestly none of them felt like super lucky runs, but to be fair these are also all very strong champs. Some of the weaker ones probably need very specific setups (maybe with epics relics) or some lucky powers.

One thing that might be bugged but is a very strong strategy at the moment: the middle/top path has a fixed Mind Melt node that lets you cut cards for 2 health each. Normally the health cost doubles with every cut, but for this one it stays at 2, so you can basically throw out all but your strongest cards. 3*Guardian's Orb LB becomes absolutely bonkers that way.

ASol, Morganna and Elise are the ones I’ve beaten Liss with so far. ASol was (as usual) super easy; he was the first one I used and I had no idea what Liss does, so I was a bit surprised/briefly worried when she dropped the 80something/130something watcher. Then I remembered that I had a leveled Viego on board and just stole the Watcher next turn.

Morganna felt a bit close on some of the more aggro fights leading up to Liss, but she can just stabilize and heal up late game, so they were no real problem in the end. Liss herself was super chill. Just kept locking down her board and whittled her down.

Elise was the fastest by far - her build with Spirit of the Buhru, Voidborne Carapace and Galeforce obliterates everything once you get to play Elise and attack just once. I went to the Mind Meld node on this run and just cut everything that didn’t spawn spiderlings. And then I got the +1/+1 for each keyword power on the final node before Liss, poor thing probably didn’t know what hit her.