Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Lifesteal I think is secretly one of the best keywords to have on a few guys in your deck, lot of games I've been saved or stopped by a buffed or elusive lifestealer.

This is why radiant guardian is one of my favorite cards in the game. It’s super hard to remove and is at least a 2 for 1 stat-wise and it stops aggro dead in its tracks unless they bursted you down too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Feels like the Frejlord spell mechanics are pretty bad because there's so many ways to work around their 0 power or 3 health card requirements

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Shadow Isles seems like the overall most powerful region to me right now. Maybe Ioina is secretly strong but people probably dont have those kind of decks yet.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Anybody know when you start meeting real competition in ranked? Im about to break out of bronze?? I think.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

quote:

Keep in mind that pretty much everything has a chance to upgrade: Capsules can upgrade to Epic or Wild Capsules, chests can upgrade to the next tier, cards can upgrade to the next rarity up or turn into a wildcard. Upgrades can even chain to increase your reward more than once, though we don’t think we’ve made this as clear of a hype moment as we’d like it to be (yet).

Also, you’ll never get a fourth copy of any card in LoR, since three is the max you can use. If it’s a Common or Rare, it’ll be replaced with Shards (25 and 75, respectively). If it’s an Epic or Champion, it will be rerolled into another card of the same rarity. Once you’ve unlocked ALL Epics and Champions, extra copies will also be rerolled into Shards (300 and 1000, respectively).

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Nice, im gonna get enough for another expedition.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've been watching Swim on YouTube for content/strategies. Any other content creators to watch?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Not getting duplicates makes me feel better about crafting up new cards at least.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It's honestly taking me a while to learn all the little nuances about when to attack vs play more cards (which opens your opponent to playing more) and when certain spells will fire in what order.

I guess one thing that feels weird about this game is it just flat out will not go long enough for you to draw through your deck, maybe there's more card draw in some of the other regions but I played a lot of Pokemon TCG online and my decks in that game were generally based around forced drawing until I got the things I needed to get the deck's win condition going. In this one it's like, you're going to see half your deck, if that, so you have to have multiple win cons in there. Or maybe I'm overthinking it?

I do know getting screwed on the initial hand/redraw is very brutal in this game compared to most of the other TCGs I've played.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Yes, if you put in a 1-of expect to see it in like a fourth of your games.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mistaya posted:

It's honestly taking me a while to learn all the little nuances about when to attack vs play more cards (which opens your opponent to playing more) and when certain spells will fire in what order.

I guess one thing that feels weird about this game is it just flat out will not go long enough for you to draw through your deck, maybe there's more card draw in some of the other regions but I played a lot of Pokemon TCG online and my decks in that game were generally based around forced drawing until I got the things I needed to get the deck's win condition going. In this one it's like, you're going to see half your deck, if that, so you have to have multiple win cons in there. Or maybe I'm overthinking it?

I do know getting screwed on the initial hand/redraw is very brutal in this game compared to most of the other TCGs I've played.

From the meta decks I've seen, they generally have multiple win conditions. Like the Fiora deck can win via Fiora, but it also has the 1-drop that scales with Barrier applications as a win condition, or just chunking through with beefed up Shen damage. You can even get this in expedition. In my last 7-1 with a Fiora/Shen deck my wins came from: Elusive Creatures, Elusive Creatures and Shen, Shen, Fiora, or once getting the 12 mana card that just summons a poo poo load of creatures all the time (this game owned and took like 20+ minutes with how long it went)

The little nuance is a huge part of the game that generally doesn't have an answer. Like, I play for guaranteed benefits more often then not, which means attacking quickly instead of building a board (if I have good attacks available). Sometimes I'll feel like I need to rally a stronger attack, it really depends on the situation. I definitely lost a game yesterday where I could've won had I pushed my luck a little further, and I should try to recognize that.

It actually makes the game super interesting. Using Judgement as an example - 8 mana, a battling ally strikes all battling enemies. It can clear the board, win the game via Fiora, Lifesteal back to full HP, etc. However, if you play Judgement before your opponents do anything, you might get countered, frostbitten, recalled, etc. and lose a card, 8 mana, and be in an extremely bad position. MTG definitely has this same situation, but it feels much less likely to occur with how turns function in MTG (your turn is mostly your turn, and your opponents will have much higher limitations).

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Ionia is really strong, two of the most bullshist spells, deny and recall and they are really cheap too.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
If you arent playing either Ionia or Shadow Isles youre probably playing a bad deck.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Deny can definitely blow you out if you play into it, but it’s also a dead draw that sometimes sits in your hand and does nothing until the game is over. Aggressive, tempo decks can beat it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Everything was looking great in expedition round 7, then right before lethal on the guys attack round he created the catastrophe and 1 shot me.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Studio posted:

From the meta decks I've seen, they generally have multiple win conditions. Like the Fiora deck can win via Fiora, but it also has the 1-drop that scales with Barrier applications as a win condition, or just chunking through with beefed up Shen damage. You can even get this in expedition. In my last 7-1 with a Fiora/Shen deck my wins came from: Elusive Creatures, Elusive Creatures and Shen, Shen, Fiora, or once getting the 12 mana card that just summons a poo poo load of creatures all the time (this game owned and took like 20+ minutes with how long it went)

The little nuance is a huge part of the game that generally doesn't have an answer. Like, I play for guaranteed benefits more often then not, which means attacking quickly instead of building a board (if I have good attacks available). Sometimes I'll feel like I need to rally a stronger attack, it really depends on the situation. I definitely lost a game yesterday where I could've won had I pushed my luck a little further, and I should try to recognize that.

It actually makes the game super interesting. Using Judgement as an example - 8 mana, a battling ally strikes all battling enemies. It can clear the board, win the game via Fiora, Lifesteal back to full HP, etc. However, if you play Judgement before your opponents do anything, you might get countered, frostbitten, recalled, etc. and lose a card, 8 mana, and be in an extremely bad position. MTG definitely has this same situation, but it feels much less likely to occur with how turns function in MTG (your turn is mostly your turn, and your opponents will have much higher limitations).

Seconding. Decks I've seen success with have a specific engine that makes them go, sure, but very rarely a single win con they're pushing for. Dawnspiders can win with Speakers making 1/1 Spiderlings into 7/7 abominations before God, or it can win with Rhasa removal burning away beef gates, or it can win via attrition with good card draw and Radiant Guardian. Fiora wants to OTK you mostly but she can whittle down specific matchups (Dawnspiders, incidentally, sometimes struggles against Fiora) and Fiora/Shen with Greenglade Caretaker can totally win with Caretaker becoming enormous and murdering you. I've actually had more success with Fiora being a decoy who draws all the removal spells while Shen and spells make GG Caretaker huge, then a timely Stand United to swap to an unblocked location and presto, you win.

I also tend to attack immediately as soon as my turn begins if I think I'm going to attack that turn anyway. It's usually better to immediately trigger combat, draw out whatever combat tricks your opponent has, and then recover afterward than it is to try to build your board on your own turn, especially if they held mana last turn. Building your board state actually seems to be more effective on your opponent's turn with the token than it is on yours, but this is just my perspective based on playing two fairly aggressive decks (Dawnspiders and Fiora OTK).

While the card pool is still relatively small, it seems like there's an inordinate amount of what are essentially kill spells, which is probably why Deny seems so potent. Loooots of decks in the nether regions of ranked and the pre-cons you get after the Prologue rely intensely on a bevy of Black Spear/Vengeance/Mystic Shot/Culling Blade etc. and if you can stop one at the right time it effectively ends the game. A lot of my strategy is built around the assumption that the enemy deck has at least one scary beef boy and shitloads of ways to instagib my beef boy and very little else. You see a bunch of Demacia/Freljord Braum/Trynd decks in the lower end of matchmaking. I've only recently started running into a lot of decks abusing Ephemeral and built chiefly out of Shadow Isles, which can be a nightmare to play against.

I kinda want to build a Yasuo/Zed stungun deck I mentioned earlier just because it looks fun and I played blue in MtG, and Yasuo seems as close as you're gonna get so far.

I was gonna continue my post talking about how I don't think Ionia and Shadow Isles are ahead of the other factions in terms of balance, but every deck I run or want to run includes at least one of those two, so hmm. I will say that I think Demacia is also very strong owing to a shitload of Barrier and the almighty Dawnspeakers and Detain, though.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
My new Demacia tribal deck has only 1 win con, go wide.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Everything was looking great in expedition round 7, then right before lethal on the guys attack round he created the catastrophe and 1 shot me.

That probably wasn't me but I have that deck in expeditions, it's actually making me want to try it in constructed. Lots of spells with heimer, good draw and discard with piltover/draven which powers jinx, and catastrophe as an alternate win condition given that I'm playing lots of cards and spell summon cards count twice (one for the spell, one for the created card) to getting 15 unique plays.

Key pieces to empower those above win conditions are the noxus spell that you can repeat to execute a damaged enemy combined with poke spells and efficient little blockers: things that draw on death, or refill your spell Mana, etc.

Im about to do match 7, and so far have won once by catastrophe, once by millions of heimer turrets, and a few times by jinx/draven attack+discard giving me the super mega rocket.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

P&Z feel pretty good as a faction. Jinx in general feels like a 'kill this or lose' champ, because the card advantage you get off of her is great, and can pump out a ton of damage in the late game. Been pairing it with Ionia to use a bunch of quick attack units to quickly tempo out opponents and use direct damage abilities to clear the way.

I think that P&Z Jinx could combine well with Draven Noxious for a strong burn deck. That uses overstated minions to beat your opponent down.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 27, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:getin:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I kinda wonder about whether or not to put in Zed or Katarina for a Noxus/Ionia build. The one I was looking at runs Zed, but I'd think if the gameplan is "stun and recall poo poo until Yasuo/Fae Bladetwirler/Legion General is swole as gently caress" then Kat serves that purpose better... ish? Maybe it creates mana problems? Anyone trying a Yasuo archetype and wanna share?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Honestly the only card I dislike is the "Kill a unit" card in shadow isles. 7 spell mana is really cheap for what you can get out of that card. You can play around most of the other bullshit in spider decks by either not killing units or not letting your important units drop below 4 HP, and even ionia's recall spam at least gives you the card back to play again so it's not a complete loss, but Kill a Unit is like "welp."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

berenzen posted:

P&Z feel pretty good as a faction. Jinx in general feels like a 'kill this or lose' champ, because the card advantage you get off of her is great, and can pump out a ton of damage in the late game. Been pairing it with Ionia to use a bunch of quick attack units to quickly tempo out opponents and use direct damage abilities to clear the way.

I think that P&Z Jinx could combine well with Draven Noxious for a strong burn deck. That uses overstated minions to beat your opponent down.

Draven+Jinx is a pretty fund discard aggro deck. But you don’t want over-started minions you want efficient spells and discard outlets. A lot of the time your other minions are blockers or distractions (like the flame champers and the discardable scuttle crabs) Jinx and Draven are how you want to be pushing damage through. Draven in particular is the only champion you can have 6 effective copies of thanks to his Biggest Fan.

Add in rummage and you can be churning through a cheap deck fast as hell constantly playing and discarding cards so that Jinx activates. Who then digs through the deck even faster. It’s a madcap gameplan that you need to manage well but once it goes off it’s super fun.

Personally I went for a more Aggro Midrange and used Ezreal as an alternative win condition, because the deck has a lot of targeting anyway and a lot of cheap spells for him to shoot down the Nexus with.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Not sure how a 6/5 with tough takes a 6 damage hit and lives with 1, but ohkay.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Is the deck creation tool behaving completely awfully for y'all? Building cards out of shards fails often, and it just feels super glitchy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Deofuta posted:

Is the deck creation tool behaving completely awfully for y'all? Building cards out of shards fails often, and it just feels super glitchy.

It's on their bucket list to fix.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Yeah it's not great. For what it's worth most of the issues with crafting seem to come from the UI not properly updating after you craft a card—the wildcard count stays at the original value when I craft a card despite one being spent. I haven't had any issues with wild cards disappearing (yet).

That you can't see how many more copies of a card you need to finish a deck is awful tho'

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
My roommate was watching me play and asked what happened when you tried to draw from an empty deck, and after playing for hours all weekend I can say that I have no loving idea lol. Haven't even come close to doing it, maybe one of the tutorials i skipped mentions it?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

goferchan posted:

My roommate was watching me play and asked what happened when you tried to draw from an empty deck, and after playing for hours all weekend I can say that I have no loving idea lol. Haven't even come close to doing it, maybe one of the tutorials i skipped mentions it?

It's like Magic, you lose.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You probably won't ever run into it unless you're really turboing through your deck. The games don't usually last much longer than 10 turns from my experience.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just noticed the purchase history section in game and seemingly at random a bunch of cards I bought with wildcards or shards or whatever have a "refund" button available on them and a bunch of others don't . What's up with that?

edit: also wow I didn't really read up on expedition rewards and I didn't realize you were granted a champion card no matter how many wins you get at the end. That's pretty loving sweet, as is the massive XP bonus . There's plenty of time to gently caress it up but right now your ability to build a good deck for cheap or for free seems unmatched compared to other competing games. Probably a really good move on their part to hook people in -- I hope they manage to keep that part of the monetization in the same place it is right now and focus on making the big bucks off of premium card skins and stuff.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 27, 2020

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

The refund button gives you the wildcard/sharfs back, it greys out if you've used the card (I think just playing a game with it, not sure if deck building counts)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

amenbrotep posted:

The refund button gives you the wildcard/sharfs back, it greys out if you've used the card (I think just playing a game with it, not sure if deck building counts)

Ahh that makes sense thanks! It seemed really arbitrary as to why I could refund some but not all. Since it doesn't say it anywhere I'm assuming it's unlimited? I know Epic does a thing in Fortnite where you can get no-questions-asked refunds on purchases but you're limited per lifetime on your account

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

goferchan posted:

I just noticed the purchase history section in game and seemingly at random a bunch of cards I bought with wildcards or shards or whatever have a "refund" button available on them and a bunch of others don't . What's up with that?

edit: also wow I didn't really read up on expedition rewards and I didn't realize you were granted a champion card no matter how many wins you get at the end. That's pretty loving sweet, as is the massive XP bonus . There's plenty of time to gently caress it up but right now your ability to build a good deck for cheap or for free seems unmatched compared to other competing games. Probably a really good move on their part to hook people in -- I hope they manage to keep that part of the monetization in the same place it is right now and focus on making the big bucks off of premium card skins and stuff.

There's a lot to write about LoRs monetization, since it's so different from other CCGs, but it makes sense given that:
A) Due to Riot's Stability, they're not looking for an immediate influx of cash
B) They're trying to get users engaged long-term, which is extremely hard for CCGs
C) They don't need a whale dependent model to make money if they have a large and active playerbase with small but consistent levels of spend.

I'm guessing they're just trying to get people hooked, and then looking for relatively low investment from most people rather than super high whale spend.

If they decide to make money they'll ratchet up the system, but right now I can only spend... $20 in the shop for cards? Starter Bundle + Wildcards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They made it an explicit point when announcing the game that they're never going to sell random card packs. If you're paying money for cards you'll always know what you're getting whether through you buying wildcards or listing the cards in a bundle like the starter. I'd expect them to add a starter bundle for each expansion as an easy starting point for people who're willing to spend.

And of course they'll sell many mascots, though for me they hosed up making the poro the free starting one. Until they make another poro.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

goferchan posted:

Ahh that makes sense thanks! It seemed really arbitrary as to why I could refund some but not all. Since it doesn't say it anywhere I'm assuming it's unlimited? I know Epic does a thing in Fortnite where you can get no-questions-asked refunds on purchases but you're limited per lifetime on your account

afaik it's unlimited, when i noticed it I went and refunded a heap of cards only to craft them again to check it out. it might be time-bound.

i kept running into people who were immediately conceding and apparently you can farm ~750 xp a day that way. you can also do it to bots so presumably there is a sizeable contingent of people deliberately spending their time staring at a loss screen to best minmax their week.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

mistaya posted:

Honestly the only card I dislike is the "Kill a unit" card in shadow isles. 7 spell mana is really cheap for what you can get out of that card. You can play around most of the other bullshit in spider decks by either not killing units or not letting your important units drop below 4 HP, and even ionia's recall spam at least gives you the card back to play again so it's not a complete loss, but Kill a Unit is like "welp."

Vengeance isn't that OP, "kill a unit" cards in games like hearthstone are usually 4-5 mana but you have to bank 3 for it that early, however, Rhasa the Sunderer, now that is a OP card, could probably be changed to only kill the weakest unit instead of two of them.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 27, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

amenbrotep posted:

so presumably there is a sizeable contingent of people deliberately spending their time staring at a loss screen

Yeah photoshop threads are usually pretty successful

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
So ive played a bit more with my new Demacia tribal deck. And its really weak to Ionia and Shadow Isles, dont invest into a deck that doesnt run one of these regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

7-0ed both expeditions. The extra 2k exp is nice and I think puts me on track to get a diamond weekly chest.

Demacia seems really good in expeditions. Challenger is really powerful and Lucian+Senna will straight up dominate.