Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

(This post, like the game, is in development. Expect it to be edited multiple times.)

Temtem is a new game from Crema (Price: $35) in early access in which Temtem tamers travel the bright and colorful islands of the Airborne Archipelago in search of new creatures to collect and use in battle against other tamers, organized Temtem Dojos, and a mysterious organization. You play as one of these tamers, fresh from your Apprentice's Eve and about to receive your very first Temtem from Professor Konstantinos...

Okay, okay it's Pokemon with the serial numbers filed off.

But the developers (who know they aren't fooling anyone and show their influences pretty heavily) knew how to make a very good Pokemon clone. Reviews have generally described Temtem favorably - it captures the spirit of being dumped into a whole new world with creatures to discover and a battle system that is easy to pick up but difficult to master. The fact that Temtem works on a default 2v2 system even allows for a few nice little touches, such as the inclusion of built in support techniques and a neat fit for playing co-op with other players.

Temtem is in a shared server environment, and this is a mixed blessing: for the most part the game's current focus is on the single player campaign so it often feels like you're running around playing in your own sandbox disconnected from the other people. And the opening launch has been subject to huge server problems. It's much easier to arrange Temtem battles because you just need to walk up to people and select them to interact... but it's a little hard to coordinate with other players in-game if you're doing co op. The feeling is that it's okay now that the servers aren't on fire (mostly) but subject to filling out over the course of the game's development. Speaking of which...

Temtem is in early access: this isn't "nominally done but working out the bugs", but "half the game isn't available." That's still 3 of the islands and there's enough to keep you busy for hours in the single player, even before trying to hunt down everything in the Tempedia or engaging with the multiplayer content. But it's something to very much be aware of.

Final thoughts: Is it worth getting Temtem? If you've got a limited budget, are risk adverse, or hate unfinished games I can't give it a "100% buy it NOW" endorsement, but i've been playing it for a few hours and having a blast. And if nothing else it's nice to finally be able to play a game of this type without having to go out and get a Nintendo console.

Useful Links:

Official Wiki - Useful for finding out data about the game, such as what moves your Temtem gets access to and what sidequests exist. May not be 100% complete. Has a page with the Type chart on it, so you don't have to memorize it.

Temtem 101 - Guide by Sombrero. A more in depth look at the systems of the game. Less heavy on the data, but it does have a few useful bits of individual advice like how Barnshe only spawns rarely as a random encounter on top of Windward Fort and how to make money in the long term.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Reserved.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

This sounds like it's 100% my jam.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I was too old to get into pokemons but this idea of "we're gonna take successful thing and try to tweak it in just a couple of revolutionary ways to kick it into turbo" is something I can respect a lot and wish the industry had more of. That formula is why Blizzard got big.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
I've probably sunk 20 hours in so far between exploring and the campaign, so it was probably worth the $35. The first day was rough in terms of server stability, but what MMO launch has ever gone well?

Some things I've found helpful:
Tier list, maps, breeding calculator, etc: https://temtactics.gg/tierlist
Web version of the Tempedia: https://tempedia.com/
Team builder: https://tem.team/temtem-types
A different interactive map: https://temtemstrat.com/carte-interactive/thalassian-cliffs

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Fun fact - This game has Shiny Temtem!

They are called Luma and there are three things that make them different from a regular version of their species: they have a slightly different coloration, they sparkle a bit, and they have at least 3 SV stats maxed. They have a 1/6000 chance to spawn, although the odds are higher of getting a Luma if you try to breed other Lumas.

I am noting this because I managed to catch one, although she nearly gave me a HEART ATTACK by having the game disconnect immediately after catching her.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Surprised there aren't more posts for this game. It seems very cool!

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

Roll of Quarters posted:

This sounds like it's 100% my jam.

This game is 100% my jam!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i "played" on release day and the servers were so busted i just didnt want to deal with it, especially since there was no login protection when you got booted. apparently it's better now so i want to play more this weekend though! trying not to spoil the critters for myself until i finish the main story.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How is the login queue and server performance now?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Servers have only gone down on me when they've taken them down to patch (normally about 1:30am utc), and the queue has never been longer than 20 minutes, and most of the time there isn't one.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Just dropping by to say I need a Tateru in real life.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
EDIT: Figured it out. Game is good.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 25, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The traditional answer in Pokemon, and I guess it applies here, is that it matters to the extent that you find the NPCs calling you xx420BlazeItxx funny.

I think I see more people wandering around with account-esque names though, generally speaking.

EDIT: Welp, beaten to it by the poster, might as well leave this up so there isn't a chain of "this post no longer relevant".

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Impressions on the way to the third town. It's a good Pokémon game alright. No kind of server lag or login queue on this weekend after early access launch. The world is colorful and charming. The monster designs are not particularly interesting, and kind of remind me of the monsters in the phone idle game Ulala. Some are kind of cute or kind of cool but nothing awesome aside from maybe one that a player walked past with.

I like the combat. It doesn't feel like a waste of a turn not doing something other than a direct damage move. Combat stays interesting and you have to plan or think on your fee in nice ways. I especially love how when attacking your character's arm pokes out of the corner of the screen.

The MMO aspect is very downplayed. Actual interaction seems limited to battles and training. No co-op the game together or any kind of teaming up I could see. I'm curious if this is different later in the game. It's like a single-player game where you can see other people playing it too in-game. It's possible that later in the game's life they'll do server events or have the game world change over time but I really doubt it. Emote spam is great and I look forward to character and house dress-up.

Calling it massive multiplayer is really missing the point or at worst deceptive marketing. 'Straight-up Pokémon but a little better in mechanics, difficulty, writing, and visuals' is a tougher sell so I get it. Very cool work from the Spanish devs at Crema. Far beyond what I expect of an indie studio's first game and Unity.

I can totally recommend it for anyone looking for a Pokémon game or who has been disappointed in the mainline Pokémons. Just don't go into it expecting an MMO on the level of Runescape or Asheron's Call.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
installed it but i guess the server is down for maintenance?

the character creator is already more robust then SwSh, which is a real good sign

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah they've been patching at about this time every night, it should be back up now.

Also this from their discord (before maint) is good:

quote:

We've done some tweaks in the server's performance during the latest patch and we've been increasing the max allowed players ever since.

Right now we're currently on 35k users without any problems or lag issues, yay!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
TemTem has revealed that even after making 500 billion different Pokemon, Game Freak somehow missed making a Flying Pig Pokemon. Therefor they deserve to lose their market share.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Heran Bago posted:

No co-op the game together or any kind of teaming up I could see. I'm curious if this is different later in the game.

I saw some streamers doing co-op play early on, but maybe something wasn't working right with it overall and the devs disabled it. I think co-op gameplay is in their plans.

The way co-op seemed to work, instead of one trainer with a team of six throwing out two Temtems each, each player has a team of three and choose one of them to go out on the field. This might take some finagling to make sure both players show up in trainer battles and random battles. If they get the co-op working, I could recommend this to parents looking for an online game to play with their kids.

The game feels really bare-bones right now, but it has just been released into early access. I can see the structure there, and I'm hopeful the development continues building on it.

boy are my arms tired posted:

the character creator is already more robust then SwSh, which is a real good sign

I'm not looking to start a Discussion about obvious topics, but I found the avatar creation process liberating. No matter which body type I went with, it looked like there were just one set of faces and one set of hairstyles. I just looked at it and went, "Okay, cool."

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That sounds really cool. Most likely I overlooked or couldn't find the co-op button. Do you know if it's local or online?

The avatar creator is pretty good. I like to see the choice in pronouns including a gender-neutral option.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think you have to add them as a friend, then find their profile in your friends list. You might both have to be standing in the same cell to start co-op.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Have 2 friends playing this co-op right now, I played other day to about level 12. I think it's got a huge amount of potential and will definitely continue playing it to see how it progresses. The PvP aspect could be really amazing.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
It'll feel slightly more MMO-like once they re-enable chat. There was some bug with it that hasn't been fixed, so it's been disabled since release.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Should this thread really be in MMO HMO? Compared to Games this forum's pretty dead, and this game barely qualifies as an MMO. I mean Warframe is in Games, and it also has a lot of players running around in multiplayer, just saying. By all accounts, the way they monetize Warframe makes it far more of an MMO than Tem Tem. I like this game, I just want to see it get the goon rush it deserves, especially once they throw in "clubs".

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Warframe is mostly peer to peer though, this is a proper MMO even though it really shouldn't be. I like the game and all but I'm kind of dreading them putting in poo poo you have to pay for and just loving it all up. Also the grind man, the grind.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

The game's a lot more challenging than I expected. I had caught every new temtem I saw up to the Lady Lottie encounter, had them all leveled to 19-20, and by the end I only had my Saku left standing.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Enjoying the game so far. Played for 11 hours yesterday/last night, and I didn't even notice time flying by until it was 3 AM.
It's harder than pokeymans, but that's what I expected. Not that fond of grinding, especially since that's what I'm doing in SwSh right now, but eh. It is what it is. Though I have a hard time understanding certain evolution mechanics.

Take Skail, for instance. It says here it evolves to Skunch after 17 levels. I caught it at level 12, and have it at 20 now without it ever evolving. So I take it it won't evolve until lvl 29 since that's 17 levels after the level I caught it at, or?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yep, that confused me for a while too.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, most of those counts are "x levels after you catch the temtem."

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

The incredible decision of making breeding items cost 3x more has caused grief. Two of our very own goons managed to breed/poopsock some maxed out EV Tems before the patch causing even more grief on the discord to those who can’t afford breeding to that level anymore.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

I'm sure they didn't expect people to have a full squad of perfect SV temtems less than a week after release, so increasing the price while they work on more content isn't a great solution, but probably the only one.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Who could've seen that coming it's not like they had three decades of Pokemon games to see how very into and dedicated people would get with this kind of thing. Not a fan of breeding in general in this game, I know why they limit it as much as they do but it also makes getting good stats virtually impossible without an insane amount of grinding of either money or breeding stock or even both.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Not a bad game but it does get repetitive at the start. Very hopeful this one goes the right way and actually gets a lot better. So far its a good a side game while watching movies

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
3rd island is loving great honestly and is exactly what Pokemon is missing. Just absolute loving mayhem and quests that are seemingly meaningful. Would be nice for some alternate endings like X person dying or whatever but who cares.

As for the breeding prices. I mean it's all relative right? What's actually missing is fun repeatable trainer battles that people can just relax and play without needing to worry about competitive viability or whatever. FreeTem system is a great addition but isn't exactly fun. It's just nice knowing that catching Tems is getting you money.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Game is cute and a lot of fun.

Is FreeTem actually a net profit though? It didn't look like the rewards offset the cost of Temcards, especially factoring in failed attempts. Is there some sort of strategy for it?

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

Game is cute and a lot of fun.

Is FreeTem actually a net profit though? It didn't look like the rewards offset the cost of Temcards, especially factoring in failed attempts. Is there some sort of strategy for it?

Yeah the strategy is catch Shuine with regular Tem cards not Tem+
I think its a rare spawn though. My personal strategy is Ukama, they're not as valuable but I think they're way more common- Could be wrong though. (Youll also want the clover for doing regular Tem cards as it's just going to be a GPM increase).

I just timed my self and I made about 5k in 1 hour (give or take about 300 I wasn't being exact). I'm not saying that this is a great method or anything but hey- If you can spend 3-4 hours and make 15-20k that's good enough for right now.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 28, 2020

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
There we go. Finished most of what I can on the available islands. Now to log off and wait for a content patch, because I cba to do the crystal shrine at this time. :P

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
I keep seeing posts about missing out on the four leaf clover item if you don't get it when you get skates. I'm not too far into the story yet, but I want to make sure I don't miss out on any content as i progress.

Are there any other items/areas/temtem that aren't accessible once you reach story milestones?

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

When you get on the airship on the second island it takes away your skates and surfboard, so do all your skating/surfing stuff before you go to the third island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Roll of Quarters posted:

When you get on the airship on the second island it takes away your skates and surfboard, so do all your skating/surfing stuff before you go to the third island.

That is bizarre. Why does it do that?