Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
is this game still going strong? I played it for a few hours but couldnt bring myself to come back yet. Now I am bored at home and looking for more time sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ragedx posted:

is this game still going strong? I played it for a few hours but couldnt bring myself to come back yet. Now I am bored at home and looking for more time sinks.

They put in the ranked match system so you might get some mileage out of that (it gives your tem's max stats but no egg moves or training), but a lot of people are just waiting on the "not Africa" Earth/Neutral type island patch.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ah, didn't see this thread before. Just started playing a few days ago and so far I'm liking it. Ganki is so cute, there's some decent designs here.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
If anyone's still interested in this, they just released Kisiwa:

https://crema.gg/temtem/temtem-0-6-kisiwa-update/

I kind of got burned out back in Omninesia but I still keep an eye on it from time to time. Maybe i'll come back some day in the future when it's all done.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Loving the new move animations, some of them are pretty funny too.

Is there a Goon Guild set up? Haven't played since May or so, so I'm a bit behind on the latest updates.

Edit: Man, the new island has an insane amount of trainer battles.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 22, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thread seems kinda dead so I dunno if I'll get any answers but I just cleared the first Dojo and there's stuff I like about the game but it also feels really padded and tedious. The wild temtem variety isn't very good and the barrage of fights on the bridge and ruins was just draining rather than engaging. Are all the areas like this?

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thread seems kinda dead so I dunno if I'll get any answers but I just cleared the first Dojo and there's stuff I like about the game but it also feels really padded and tedious. The wild temtem variety isn't very good and the barrage of fights on the bridge and ruins was just draining rather than engaging. Are all the areas like this?

Each region is a lot like that, there is not a huge amount of variety on each Island and then the temtems there are all very similar varieties.

It does feel as though it opens up a bit once you start to have more options available, but I consistently notice the choices being made to develop the game as an MMO experience, rather than a single player experience, and they are never really positive. It also feels as though the latest islands have been designed to provide some challenge to people who have leveled their team prior to the island's release, so the transition can feel a bit obvious when reaching these islands.

But, the game and the battling is good enough that I'll continue to play the story as they expand it out.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I started playing this recently, and got it for switch today since it came to it. I like it alright. It has its issues, like the economy (I'm guessing they're trying to make microtransactions more appealing, and that sucks), but like... s'not bad, despite this thread having been dead for like 18 months, even running up to and and on the day of its official release suggesting otherwise

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I don't think you can really use mtx for in game stuff other than cosmetics. The economy's always been a bit funky but they've made some improvements on it recently.

I made the mistake of buying too many healing items early on instead of using the Vial and nearby centers which didn't help. It does get easier to make money in the endgame at least, and there's a new currency from achievements and the Battle Frontier island which is mostly for team building and radars as far as I've seen.

How far in have you gotten?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't think you can really use mtx for in game stuff other than cosmetics. The economy's always been a bit funky but they've made some improvements on it recently.

I made the mistake of buying too many healing items early on instead of using the Vial and nearby centers which didn't help. It does get easier to make money in the endgame at least, and there's a new currency from achievements and the Battle Frontier island which is mostly for team building and radars as far as I've seen.

How far in have you gotten?

I had gotten through the first dojo on ps5 but restarted when it came out for the switch yesterday, and idk if I'll keep both characters or just do one, haven't decided yet. But on the switch, which I will likely play more cause of personal reasons, I'm only just now getting through arrisola or whatever it's called (haven't been able to game much yesterday/today)

So, not far, regardless.

Edit: idk how friends and clubs and stuff work for the game, yet, but if you wanna be friends on there and pkay together some, I'd love to. It's an mmo and rn I've been having to solo it, so that'd be nice to change.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

For sure, I've played solo for some couple hundred hours so I definitely get it. What's your IGN? Haven't made a Club or anything but it shouldn't be too hard.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is this game still really grueling to get through? I enjoyed the base systems but I didn't enjoy how exhausting it felt with dozens of trainer fights every path. But this was like a year or two ago so I don't know if that's changed at all.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is this game still really grueling to get through? I enjoyed the base systems but I didn't enjoy how exhausting it felt with dozens of trainer fights every path. But this was like a year or two ago so I don't know if that's changed at all.

For 1.0 they've moved ~20% of the trainers on the main paths off to the sides for that reason, as well as increasing the XP trainers give. And the shrine areas for XP grinding give 1.5XP now, too.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They've made changes as previously mentioned, but it still feels very similar to me. For me, it's less the trainers and more the back tracking for different quests with the random battles this entails (and the length of time for combat intros / moves / etc). Money feels limited enough that I don't tend to use the scents to reduce encounter rate.

Having said that, it's not currently frustrating me enough for me to stop playing and I know there are things like mounts and eventually end game zones (that I've not yet got to) which should solve some of my issues.

I'd still probably recommend jumping back in and seeing how it feels for you if you're at all on the fence.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

cytoc posted:

Money feels limited enough that I don't tend to use the scents to reduce encounter rate.

Yeah this was my biggest complaint for the campaign, too. Wish I knew earlier but there's a thing called FreeTem where you get money for each Tem you release proportionate to species/level while working up to prizes. It's to the left of the Breeding Center in Omniseia and it resets every Monday.

It sucks that mounts aren't around until the end game but man the lack of encounters alone is great for some of the bigger routes. Plus if you mount before surfing it stops those encounters too.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah this was my biggest complaint for the campaign, too. Wish I knew earlier but there's a thing called FreeTem where you get money for each Tem you release proportionate to species/level while working up to prizes. It's to the left of the Breeding Center in Omniseia and it resets every Monday.

It sucks that mounts aren't around until the end game but man the lack of encounters alone is great for some of the bigger routes. Plus if you mount before surfing it stops those encounters too.

I didn't know about the surfboard trick, thanks for sharing, I'll remember that when I get the mount. Maybe I should just focus the main story and deal with sidequests once the mount is available, sounds much less frustrating. I also think I'm close to getting the teleport device which should make a big difference

I was doing FreeTem back when I played a bit more regularly, which I stopped before Cipanku was added. I do have a decently trained squad and around 130k pansuns, but I still can't bring myself to buy scents -> I've started using smoke bombs to return from deadends though, which makes a big difference.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like it was a reaction to Pokemon being way too easy at the time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

cytoc posted:

I've started using smoke bombs to return from deadends though, which makes a big difference.

Yeah before the teleporter this was a godsend

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Saw this released recently or will soon, did they ever improve it? I've heard awful things about it's progression and grinding. When I played when it first was available my main complaint was that the battle system totally sucked and seemed like literally every battle was stuck as an annoying double battle.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It is a game designed around double battles, though they've done a lot of lightening on the grind for the 1.0 release.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Sorry for the delayed response, but my in-game name is Karey. Lmk if I need to provide more info than that to network with friends on here. Can share that id number thing too if need be

Edit: also this tamer pass sucks. Like, not just because I had to pay more for it lmao. Also because it takes forever to earn the poo poo they offer

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sent a friend request, I think. Buster-Highman

Yeah I'm at the end-game and it's not glacial but they need to make some adjustments. Apparently they're working on having regular tamers give pass XP and making that retroactive?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

FireWorksWell posted:

Sent a friend request, I think. Buster-Highman

Yeah I'm at the end-game and it's not glacial but they need to make some adjustments. Apparently they're working on having regular tamers give pass XP and making that retroactive?

Yeah, I saw the notification you'd messaged me, but you'd signed off before I noticed. Idk exactly how to OK the friend request, but I am trying to figure it out lol.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Yeah, I saw the notification you'd messaged me, but you'd signed off before I noticed. Idk exactly how to OK the friend request, but I am trying to figure it out lol.

Should be in notifications unless it's on a timer lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Game is pretty decent. I miss all my pokemon, most of these are utterly forgettable.z

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got back into this a week or so ago and have had alot of fun (making some of the trainer fights optional I think really helped the pacing) and I'm kind of stonewalled on the General X rematch at the airship wreckage. Are there any particularly good tems or tips for dealing with him? I am not a particularly good comp level player so I've been kind of just coasting along as best I could and this is the second time I've been kind of stuck.

This is my team. Which is definitely not optimized at all.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I got back into this a week or so ago and have had alot of fun (making some of the trainer fights optional I think really helped the pacing) and I'm kind of stonewalled on the General X rematch at the airship wreckage. Are there any particularly good tems or tips for dealing with him? I am not a particularly good comp level player so I've been kind of just coasting along as best I could and this is the second time I've been kind of stuck.

This is my team. Which is definitely not optimized at all.

I'd switch Anatan out for a Digital tem to deal with Shaolant and Valiar; it's been a while since I ran that fight but I remember the latter gave me a hard time before that. I had Platimous make short work of his Zizare and Raican, too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll try those suggestions, thanks.

I think something that bugs me about this fight is, it really feels like he input reads with swap outs. I thought at first he just would swap out if your tems were strong against his but I've purposefully attacked the other tem and noticed he won't swap out the other one UNLESS you target it, which the AI shouldn't be able to know. Kind of lame lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, a few of the late game bosses do read your swap inputs. Could be argued that it's meant to test your team building and competitive skills but it just feels cheap to me, hahaha.