Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FeyerbrandX posted:

The funny thing is that instead of walljumping up to the super missile door, you could have done a running jump from the save room and wall jumped up the other ledge and skipped all that long way around to the wave beam and speed booster.

Eh, that jump's not quite pixel-perfect but it's close. Nothing funny about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've done it before (with multiple tries) and it takes me multiple times to do other basic level speed run stuff like mockball and such so I thought it wasn't that insane.

e: should also mention that it seems my controller just looooves to lose direction and drop out of a spin or anything for any reason, so that's the other reason for me thinking "someone with a non 25 year old controller would certainly have a better time of it"

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 6, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Hum. I remember finding precision jumping in this game to be super easy. But a large part of that might be experience/muscle memory; I played this game a lot as a kid. If it's part of the jumping being floaty or whatever it's probably mostly dependent on what you're used to.

Anyways... place your bets, next update how many attempts will it take Nat to get the troll energy tank?

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 8, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It'll fade in as he grabs the tank and they'll never speak of it again.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I will say a re-release would improve the experience if you could take notes on the map. and if the map showed door connectors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speedrunners turn off the auto reserve tanks sometimes and instead trigger them manually from the menu because the reserve tank takes some time to move the energy into the main energy bar, and during that time you can still take damage and die.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mentioned it before, but you totally can get up that shaft early by wall jumping. You break the top block by firing a charge shot and then jumping immediately in a very precise way to keep the shot on screen long enough to hit the block before it despawns. This lets you get power bombs early and thus you can sequence break like a motherfucker.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I was screaming at my screen when Nat left the spike room not having cottoned on to that there might be a reason why the last flower had no worm in it...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder where you'll go next?

I assume that you'll give up on giving up on wall jumping and end up in the Craterian Gauntlet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zernach posted:

I was screaming at my screen when[...]

Blind LPs are a good example of some things we take for granted because we've been playing it for 25 years.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Bruceski posted:

Blind LPs are a good example of some things we take for granted because we've been playing it for 25 years.

Nah, I got it on release and thought that was one of the more obvious ones when I was playing through the first time. I think Tea was on to something when he said that there's been so many years of building on the formula that some things that were obvious then no longer are. And of course he doesn't have the X-ray scope yet.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If he'd been further left, the bomb's flash would have revealed the hole too, right? On account of layers?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That room is a fucker and I hate it, and I'm fully in camp "the joke isn't obvious at all".

My most recent replay had me stuck at this part, after the Powerbombs, for a while - looking forward to seeing how it goes!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think Episode 7 has a bit of audio desync.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
That bomb jump was a super :monocle: moment for me, seeing how easy it made that part.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

It's me, I'm actively watching! At, uh, my PC, and not in front of a TV next to a crackling fireplace. I just haven't been posting because once I start in earnest I won't be able to resist the urge to backseat

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
It amuses me that I found the wall jump endlessly frustrating and avoided doing it whenever possible, but loved the shine spark and did it everywhere, while Nat is apparently the opposite.

And count me in as another actively watching.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I actually pay attention to this LP because otherwise, not having played the game myself, I have no idea where you are or what you're doing.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
This is like Usability Testing: The LP and I love it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

All :wal: jeering aside, the bomb jump was clever and I'm gonna do it that way from now on.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's fun seeing people experience stuff for the first time that we remember well.

And seeing them forget about tricks they just learned and places they haven't been since acquiring things.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
watching this is saving me a near future replay, for better or worse

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Argh you just learned how to clear huge vertical areas 1 block wide!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too love the quarter profile mid turn sprites

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

5 videos in and the combination of being able to walljump and the complete lack of gamesense is singularly frustrating. Yorkshire Tea has a patience and sanguinity I can only imagine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Seriously, if I were Yorkshire Tea, I would have screamed into the mic to let out my pure frustration several times already.

Also, the wall jump thing reminds me of "if all you have is a hammer, all problems begin to look like a nail".

For the record, I was actively watching, until he decided to try wall jumping that hole, then I switched it to the background.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 11, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I've realised what I missed now.

Suffice to say at our next recording session I'm going to have a lot to discuss about my thought processes.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Also, the wall jump thing reminds me of "if all you have is a hammer, all problems begin to look like a nail".

That is a great summation, with the addition of Natural20 actually having plenty of options that aren't hammers.

It's still really interesting (despite being frustrating sometimes) and speaks a lot about the whole semi-blind nature of this -- although not from Nat's previous time playing, but his expectations about what should be done.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Now that you have the wall-jump reward, there is nothing, not even optional, you have to use it for.

There are optional things you need to shine spark for, but nothing mandatory.

(Quick, make stuff up, he'll have no idea)

If you moonwalk off a ledge, you can do the mega-drop. It's only really for speed runs.

Samus' charge beam has hidden powers.

There's a trick with power bombs called the Crystal Flash that will help in a pinch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I want to clarify that I'm generally not at all bothered by Natural20 missing things or trying to wall jump at certain places. It can be a bit frustrating at times ("the secret is right there!!"), but I still enjoy the LP a lot. It's charming to see somebody play Super Metroid semi-blind. But this was the first time it felt like I've wasted my time watching this. The OP pointed out himself that he's bored, and that he has to keep his viewers in mind who might be bored as well.

I actually watched somebody bomb jump that hole (in a randomizer I think?), and I was totally fine with it. I think this might be an unique event, where Natural20 learning shine spark just a few minutes earlier, and already resorting to wall jumping while disregarding anything else might just have been too much for me in this specific instance. Keep up the fine work, Natural20 :)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Natural 20 posted:

I've realised what I missed now.

Suffice to say at our next recording session I'm going to have a lot to discuss about my thought processes.
:allears:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Seriously, if I were Yorkshire Tea, I would have screamed into the mic to let out my pure frustration several times already.

For the record, I was actively watching, until he decided to try wall jumping that hole, then I switched it to the background.

Yea, the dedication that Nat20 has to disregarding all the other tools the game gives you in favour of constant walljumping is actually pretty impressive.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's been loving forever since I've played this game, but I'm going to guess that the jump there you gave up on at the end there is meant to be done by Shinesharking. Morph Ball+Bomb spam just seems way too goddamn repetitive a solution.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yea, the dedication that Nat20 has to disregarding all the other tools the game gives you in favour of constant walljumping is actually pretty impressive.

Hey he's using power bombs constantly too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shitenshi posted:

It's been loving forever since I've played this game, but I'm going to guess that the jump there you gave up on at the end there is meant to be done by Shinesharking. Morph Ball+Bomb spam just seems way too goddamn repetitive a solution.
It's called spinesharking, thank you very much.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh no.

Oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When I saw the above post I figured what was likely coming. As for the new area, the start of the music there always gave me this Dune 2-ish vibe, not exactly sure why.