Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Certainly didn't expect to see Bowser, complete with Mario shell physics on his Koopas. That's pretty cool.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 7, 2020

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Super Metroid is probably the most execution-heavy platformer like, ever. I've been going back to it over and over for a good twenty years or so, and there are still simple movements I mess up.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
By the way Nat, do you feel like a complete monster for trying to murder an innocent turtle that was just trying to protect its babies? Because you should.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
"I want to be friends!" *super missiles child*

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Check your control settings again, there should be a way to deselect your special weapon without scrolling through all of them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The more this goes on, the more I really want to see Nat play at least a little bit of Fusion to see how the usability changes come across.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

cambrian obelus posted:

"I want to be friends!" *super missiles child*

this is my favourite post in this thread

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 20

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 12, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Well that wasn't very nice Tea :evil:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"The only other thing I can think of"

*X-Ray Visor*

"Now to wait for 6 years for the cancer to metastasize."

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those invincible Space Pirates remind me way too much of the Super Putties from Power Rangers. How will our intrepid hero overcome this obstacle?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, you finally reached the lower parts of Norfair! Now I can post these renditions of Super Metroid music this channel made -

Brinstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYxe7FovZmw

Lower Norfair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZliYMv9LMM

What the channel does (for the most part) is try to use live instruments but make the music sound as similar as possible to the original tune. Mostly they do Final Fantasy (as you could guess from their name), but they've also done some other stuff, including these two tracks! They do have a couple misses here and there I feel, but these two turned out real good IMO.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh hey, you finally reached the lower parts of Norfair! Now I can post these renditions of Super Metroid music this channel made -

Brinstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYxe7FovZmw

Lower Norfair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZliYMv9LMM

What the channel does (for the most part) is try to use live instruments but make the music sound as similar as possible to the original tune. Mostly they do Final Fantasy (as you could guess from their name), but they've also done some other stuff, including these two tracks! They do have a couple misses here and there I feel, but these two turned out real good IMO.

Ooh, not just Final Fantasy but Classic Final Fantasy. Also Terranigma. Link to the Past. Great channel, thanks for the links.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many times it happened that you went into a room, remembered to try the x-ray, then looked literally everywhere except the spot hiding something.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FYI don't call out Nintendo of Europe specifically, I know its also on the US release, so likely on all versions.

So just yell at Gunpei Yokoi and call it a day.

... :smith:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I wonder how many times it happened that you went into a room, remembered to try the x-ray, then looked literally everywhere except the spot hiding something.
I've used the phrase "hole in the search pattern" a lot in the past to describe when someone's trying to be thorough but keeps skipping over the exact spot they're looking for, but it's never been so amazingly exact before.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Everything I could say about that fight Yorkshire Tea said for me.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only bad thing about Fusion is that the JP release, which they got after us westerners got it early, got a cool hard mode, where we don't.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

For the wall that the X-Ray Scope doesn't work on, the edges of the walkable sections of the room are pulsing with light. The light extends out towards (and through) the wall you can walk through.

Around 15:10 in the video is probably the most obvious spot it's demonstrated.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Got a question about the screw attack: Does it help against those super Pirates or do they just not give a poo poo?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zernach posted:

Got a question about the screw attack: Does it help against those super Pirates or do they just not give a poo poo?

Search your heart.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just caught up with this LP, super excited to see you guys do Hollow Knight next. :allears:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I believe Ridley actually can't die until he's taken enough damage and then grabs you. So you got lucky that you weren't good at avoiding the grab.

Going in to golden torizo with only a quarter of your health and barely any ammo, though. What a rude awakening.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I just realized the icon for a full energy tank is just the corner of a tile on the map screen and now y'all get to know too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Definitely tell him.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Watching this video, I had a realization. The last three minutes of this game are going to be hilarious. Also I oppose telling him because I don't see how you could without warning about the last 3 minutes and I want to see his reaction.

I was thinking maybe using a stick instead of a d-pad was why Nat was having so much trouble with the space jump, but then Yorkshire Tea took over and he didn't seem to have any problems. I think Nat might just have some sort of space jump disability.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think considering what you said you'll enjoy Metroid Fusion a lot more than Super.

Though I also think you'd have an easier time in general if you used a d-pad rather than an analog stick. At least you wouldn't break your spin-jump as often.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's definitely the stick, Nat's clearly not moving it through neutral when changing direction and that keeps breaking him out of the spin jump. Hitting the ceiling really doesn't matter.
Super Metroid's space jump still is incredibly janky though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Geemer posted:

It's definitely the stick, Nat's clearly not moving it through neutral when changing direction and that keeps breaking him out of the spin jump. Hitting the ceiling really doesn't matter.
Super Metroid's space jump still is incredibly janky though.

I don't think there's any d-pad game that handles a stick well, particularly not Nintendo ones which had a (copyright-enforced) great d-pad while everyone else uses those slidey ones. Mainly because sticks need a dead-zone, modern games with d-pad menuing options and such account for that but old ones tend to treat any amount of input as full-on because they don't know how to do otherwise. But yeah, the game's controls were tightened up in later sequels and going back feels janky when it was fine at the time.

As for telling him... 5 seconds after he passed it.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 14, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Original metroid didn't have space jump if I remember right, it was introduced in Return of Samus basically as an upgrade to the spider ball for getting around those big cavernous rooms. It definitely feels out of place back in the regular hallways.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I don't think there's any d-pad game that handles a stick well, particularly not Nintendo ones which had a (copyright-enforced) great d-pad while everyone else uses those slidey ones. Mainly because sticks need a dead-zone, modern games with d-pad menuing options and such account for that but old ones tend to treat any amount of input as full-on because they don't know how to do otherwise. But yeah, the game's controls were tightened up in later sequels and going back feels janky when it was fine at the time.

As for telling him... 5 seconds after he passed it.

Keep in mind, though, that he's playing on the Switch. Nintendo's own SNES emulator. They did build in a bit of a deadzone for the stick, but not terribly much.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised to hear you complain about the Space Jump when right before your rematch with the Golden Torizo and you were farming energy/missiles, you were using it like a boss across those lava pits. It's only in specific instances like that door in Brinstar that it's kind of irritating.

Tell the man about the thing!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Geemer posted:

Keep in mind, though, that he's playing on the Switch. Nintendo's own SNES emulator. They did build in a bit of a deadzone for the stick, but not terribly much.

Oh, I just assumed emulator with gamepad. Bit of projection there.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Really, based on all of Nat20's complaints about this game, clearly Fusion is the ideal game for him to play.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Now that Nat has the Screw Attack, this game has the pseudo-Screw attack right, and Nat never found about it because he never uses charged shots unless forced to?

The pseudo-Screw attack is doing a spin jump while your beam is charged. If you hit enemies while in that mode both you and the enemy will take damage, and I think the damage is equal to the power of your charged shot, but it doesn't use up the charge.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Watching through this, I realize that I’ve had a perception of Super Metroid having a lot more pickups that are mechanically tricky to get than there actually seem to be. Maybe Nat has just avoided most of those, but the most taxing thing we’ve seen so far (IMHO) was needing to speed boost in from another room and then shinespark up once in a fairly precise location. Compared to some of the absolute BS they pull in Fusion and/or Zero Mission it seems pretty benign.

Anyway, I’d say mention the thing, but only just before where it is, and don’t describe the payoff. Snap decision time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
What do you think about the atmosphere? I'm an "expert" and still have trouble with the needlessly difficult controls sometimes, but the game's moody isolated feeling is one of its strong points, I think.