Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now that Nat has the Screw Attack, this game has the pseudo-Screw attack right, and Nat never found about it because he never uses charged shots unless forced to?

The pseudo-Screw attack is doing a spin jump while your beam is charged. If you hit enemies while in that mode both you and the enemy will take damage, and I think the damage is equal to the power of your charged shot, but it doesn't use up the charge.

It actually doesn't hurt you if the enemy's weak enough to die from it, but it always consumes the charge.

It's actually one of the techniques shown off in the demo reel if you let the title screen loop a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah using the stick for movement can't be making the Space Jump easier.

As for the thing, go with the canon ending, especially if Fusion may happen eventually

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't tell Nat anything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I feel like Nat's too quick to dismiss elements he doesn't personally like or find intuitive as bad / outdated game design. I find the space jump as tricky as the next person and it always takes me a minute to get out of draygon's room, but at that point I've got it and it literally is the ability to fly, provided you don't go into a standing jump on accident. Conversely, I've never gotten the hang of wall jumps or the grapple beam beyond the necessary and Nat has no trouble, and no problem, with them at all.

I wonder how Nat will react to Fusion's most common complaint. It sounds like he won't take issue with it, but being what it is, to the degree that it is, I'm not certain.

Symphony vs Super Metroid is an interesting question. Symphony has a lot of points in its favor, the castle is a more interesting environment, your equipment is more varied, it looks and sounds amazing, but on any play after maybe the first it's an absolutely trivial game, you have to willfully and to a great extent handicap yourself to not waltz through everything completely unchallenged. Nat's been crushing SM, but I feel as a game it asks more of the player to complete and thus holds up better as a thing to come.back to.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Shitenshi posted:

I'm surprised to hear you complain about the Space Jump when right before your rematch with the Golden Torizo and you were farming energy/missiles, you were using it like a boss across those lava pits. It's only in specific instances like that door in Brinstar that it's kind of irritating.

Tell the man about the thing!

From the last few videos I've noticed that Nat's ability to use the space jump seems to be the exact inverse of how frustrated he is sounding at the time.

Which, of course, means that once he starts complaining about the space jump he gets more frustrated and thus gets worse at the space jump.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

A double bill!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 17, 2020

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

A double bill!

Super Metroid doesn't have a bonus for 100%, only for finishing it fast. Zero Mission and Fusion have different ending screens for speed and/or item collection.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Eagerly looking forward to the promised "Nat and Tea watch a speedrun"

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Honestly, Nat did good overall. 76% in 6:40 on his first real play through the game is better than I did. I really do think he should have been able to get one more energy tank and one more Super Missile expansion; the one in Brinstar, where he kept looking for the entrance to the area, and the other in the wrecked ship, where he exposed the path on the way down to the boss and didn't make note of it. Some of the missile tanks are hard to find, especially on a first time through. I say they should watch a 100% speed run so they can see what he missed. I myself was tempted to do a 100% non-speedrun of the game to show off "normal player" tricks and strategies, but I haven't got any way to record footage other than pointing a cell phone at my TV screen. Good options for recording off older systems are really expensive, I found out.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Between your remarks on linearity vs open-ended as well as preferring games with narrative, in addition to the overall quality of life improvements? You'll have a blast with Fusion.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can't believe you told him, you should have just told him about it after it was a thing. :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Remembering "Oh yeah, I had reserve tanks set to manual!" makes that Metroid friend scene a bit off in my own replay inspired by the LP. Pause, manual refill, and!... Oh I still can't move, okay then. Send in the metroid!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now that Nat has the Screw Attack, this game has the pseudo-Screw attack right, and Nat never found about it because he never uses charged shots unless forced to?

The pseudo-Screw attack is doing a spin jump while your beam is charged. If you hit enemies while in that mode both you and the enemy will take damage, and I think the damage is equal to the power of your charged shot, but it doesn't use up the charge.

Late comment but I think I only ever, EVER used that on the "Toxic seahorse" because those guys are assholes with way too much health, and I need to hoard my ammo obviously :downs:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

Eagerly looking forward to the promised "Nat and Tea watch a speedrun"

Especially if they watch a reverse boss order speedrun.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

2p1c and 90° are both ace too (but not ACE).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm really looking forward to the speedrun video. Now that I've watched this I might recognize enough of the game to properly appreciate a run of it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cerebral Bore posted:

Especially if they watch a reverse boss order speedrun.
Yeah, my vote goes to reverse boss order.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

And that my friends is all she wrote for this LP.

Tea and I will as always be taking a short break between LPs and as we often like to do we'll be putting our next LP to a vote. We'll also be taking a short break from Metroidvanias so that they don't get old!

Coronavirus permitting we're hoping to start up again at the end of April or beginning of May.

The options are:

1. Trials of Mana remake: Controller Passing challenge. (Tea and I each play one character and must pass the controller if we ever need to switch)

2. Bioshock Blind: Yorkshire Tea running Blind through Bioshock.

3. Resident Evil 2 Remake Blind: Natural20 continues a blind run he recorded in December but never aired and gave up on a few hours in. (Alongside the original footage.)

https://www.strawpoll.me/19573590

Thanks so much for watching along and we hope you catch up with us on our next adventure.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

If I rememeber right, Mother Brain's Plot Laser checks for Varia Suit for its damage calculation. So without it you'd need to get more energy tanks to survive.

In a 100% run you'd either not avoid damage in tourian or if you had too high health take the varia suit off to take more damage to enable the baby script to trigger.

e: also even if you had missiles and supermissiles after knocking out Mother Brain's first form, the Plot Laser zeroes out all your weapons so you have no choice but to use the Hyper Beam.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 20, 2020

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Grats on completing the run!

Regarding Phantoon: It'll disappear and do the sweeping attack sequence if Samus exceeds a certain damage threshold with a single attack. Super missiles go over that threshold while normal missiles don't which is why speed runners prefer to use normal missiles followed by a single super finisher. On top of this they also go for a "doppler" technique where they'll fire missiles while running to stack them causing Phantoon to swallow a lot more hits in a single pass than it otherwise normally would.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Are all the bosses naturally that easy on their own (because that's the first time I've seen them die that fast) and the standard longer fights that people will usually have is due to them being cautious, or is that guy taking advantage of some glitch in their patterns that makes them squishier?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shitenshi posted:

Are all the bosses naturally that easy on their own (because that's the first time I've seen them die that fast) and the standard longer fights that people will usually have is due to them being cautious, or is that guy taking advantage of some glitch in their patterns that makes them squishier?

No squishy-glitch, just knowing the routines and having techniques (such as the aforementioned dopplering on Phantoon) to maximise damage.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Re: Phantoon:

Phantoon goes into his Hell Jumping Rope mode ONLY if he is hit with a Super Missile. The Speedrun fills him with regular missiles until he explodes specifically so they don't have to deal with that pattern and the long period of invincibility.

Re: Varia Suit:

The Speedrun grabs it to survive Mother Brain's Rainbow Beam. You need to be hit with it at least once and it deals 300 Damage with the Varia suit. The Gravity Suit DOES NOT reduce the damage from the Rainbow Beam, with only the Gravity Suit you need 6 energy tanks to survive it, so the choice is between one suit pickup or three extra tank pickups. I believe Reverse Boss Order does skip the Varia suit because it needs about that many E-Tanks to get through Norfair without the Varia Suit in the first place.

Re: Weird Purple Attack on Draygon:

That's known as an "X-Factor". If you equip Charge and only one other beam, charge up, select Power Bomb, and roll into a ball you'll use a Power Bomb to do a special attack, one different for each beam. The Wave Beam is 4 bouncing wave beams, hence why it's called "X-Factor". It's quite strong if you hit 3 or 4 of them.

Re: Zebetites:

Mother Brain's weird barrier things fall victim to a similar clip you saw where the runner just yoinks Samus up through the ceiling in a couple of rooms. By freezing a projectile in a certain way you can wedge yourself in the wall and go through. Each Zebetite only spawns after the last one is killed (SNES game, gotta save on sprites SOMEWHERE) you can clip through one and just waltz on over to fight Mother Brain. Easy Peasy. They get exactly the number of Missiles/Supers to kill Mother Brain's first form, then they just have to play perfectly with Charge Beam Shots.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So it's weird. After watching a recent GDQ, it seems like there are tricks to make the mother brain fight much faster, but they don't do it. It's supposed to be possible to shoot mother brain while the metroid heals you. If this is a world record run, it seems like that should be part of it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ikanreed posted:

So it's weird. After watching a recent GDQ, it seems like there are tricks to make the mother brain fight much faster, but they don't do it. It's supposed to be possible to shoot mother brain while the metroid heals you. If this is a world record run, it seems like that should be part of it.

I believe you have to collect more energy tanks for that trick, which takes up far more time than it saves. It also has a softlock associated with it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
That means that someone is probably working on it right now, but it takes upwards of 100s of attempts before everything falls in place for a WR. It might be a month or two after a new technique is discovered before it shows up on the leaderboards.

Edit: Or that. That's another good reason up there.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Looks like it requires 700 health minimum to execute, so any% would lose time getting extra tanks to do so. That'd be a 100% trick.

There was also a point where you'd use the murder beam (glitched beam) that causes a constant damage stream which didn't need you to do anything but just stay alive. I think that went away when they stopped using in game time due to the lag.

Also I remember old paths where Phantoon was done later and they did some crazy card counting bullshit of hitting him with certain charge beam combos (like ice and spazer charge, ice and wave charge, then eventually all beam charge) to keep him in a vulnerable state long enough and then hammer him hard with the last hit.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I was so happy when Super Metroid disappeared from GDQ for a while because of a runner having meltdown.
But now that it's back, it's also got its lovely save/kill donation incentive that makes it impossible to watch any run scheduled before (or sometimes even directly after) Super Metroid without every single donation being read out ending with "and of course ... the animals", making them excruciating to watch.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Super Metroid feels best to casually speedrun. I save, take breaks, and go by the in-game time at the end. Never agreed with the whole "every game must be single-session, even RPGs" thing they've got going now.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Geemer posted:

I was so happy when Super Metroid disappeared from GDQ for a while because of a runner having meltdown.
But now that it's back, it's also got its lovely save/kill donation incentive that makes it impossible to watch any run scheduled before (or sometimes even directly after) Super Metroid without every single donation being read out ending with "and of course ... the animals", making them excruciating to watch.

Marathon drama shelved Super Metroid? I thought it was because they ran out of gimmicks to do with it. What happened?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some guy got tired of the GDQ memes (WAH!), bummed a mic off one of the couch and told everyone to walk in front of a bus. Year before that they did a very risky low% run/route for a race and 3/4 of the runners died early. Also the save/kill donation incentive overshadowed other runs.

I don't think any one of those was responsible for the break, but the combination of them led to the game taking a year off and now though they still have it as a highlight at the end of the week save/kill isn't even an option until all the week's other donation incentives have been met. They don't want the animals memewar distracting from "play this game at all" incentives, or it becoming the focus of the whole week.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

magikid posted:

Super Metroid feels best to casually speedrun. I save, take breaks, and go by the in-game time at the end. Never agreed with the whole "every game must be single-session, even RPGs" thing they've got going now.

Its, as far as I know, to stop people from splicing runs.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

ItBreathes posted:

Its, as far as I know, to stop people from splicing runs.
I'm going off off memory so I might be slightly wrong on this. Anyway, segmented runs, where "splicing" is actually kind of the point, were really popular ages ago when I first started watching speed runs. Everything was hosted on speed demos archive and whomever ran that sight was vetting the runs and had their own rules. Every time you saved your game you would take a one second penalty on top of whatever seconds you lost making the detour to the save point. Over time people naturally found their way to single segment runs because ultimately that would be how you got the fastest time. I think with streaming being a thing now single segment runs are more entertaining to watch as well.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

No squishy-glitch, just knowing the routines and having techniques (such as the aforementioned dopplering on Phantoon) to maximise damage.

Hot drat. Super is the game with the legacy and SOTN would probably never have existed without it, but objectively speaking, Fusion is looking more and more like the better game. I don't think any of that one's big bosses can be abused like that save the final two, yet they're chump change to start with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Low-HP bosses isn't a bad thing. Look at the LP's attempts and most of the fights are missed shots or trying to find an opening while learning what they throw. A large life bar on top of that would be maddening.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
bosses in Fusion have their own host of issues. some are fun and some are meaningless slogs. between the two, i'd take Super's over Fusion's any day. but i suppose we don't want to give anything away...

i always thought Fusion was more of a sidegrade to Super: buncha things improved, others lost.

now Zero Mission... that one's my jam. captured both what i loved about Super and Fusion.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

now Zero Mission... that one's my jam. captured both what i loved about Super and Fusion.

Too bad Samus Returns dropped most of it to focus ridiculously hard on its new gimmick, leaving Zero Mission as still the best 2D Metroid.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
at least we still have AM2R... though i didnt play beyond the spiderball so i dunno how later levels hold up

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geemer posted:

Too bad Samus Returns dropped most of it to focus ridiculously hard on its new gimmick, leaving Zero Mission as still the best 2D Metroid.

Samus Returns made intensely stupid and obnoxious decisions about a number of aspects of its gameplay. To date it is the only Metroid since the original I genuinely do not like.

Also if we're talking about pain watching GDQ you should check out the GDQ run of Samus Returns which twice has the runner sitting there in morph ball rolling back and forth for literal minutes while the commentator is on unlimited donation mode until he succeeds at a glitch randomly clips into the floor to skip a huge chunk of the game. Alternately if you really hate yourself watch the Super Metroid 100% Map Speedrun where the runner and couch talk like they walked in off of /v/ and mock donation comments. I have plenty of regard for many speedruns and speedrunning, but I'm just done with GDQ and many of its adjacent events.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Omnicrom posted:

Samus Returns made intensely stupid and obnoxious decisions about a number of aspects of its gameplay. To date it is the only Metroid since the original I genuinely do not like.

e...even Other M!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Dash Rendar posted:

e...even Other M!?

I want to dislike Other M, but I'm not authorized. :(