Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Samus Returns made intensely stupid and obnoxious decisions about a number of aspects of its gameplay. To date it is the only Metroid since the original I genuinely do not like.

Also if we're talking about pain watching GDQ you should check out the GDQ run of Samus Returns which twice has the runner sitting there in morph ball rolling back and forth for literal minutes while the commentator is on unlimited donation mode until he succeeds at a glitch randomly clips into the floor to skip a huge chunk of the game. Alternately if you really hate yourself watch the Super Metroid 100% Map Speedrun where the runner and couch talk like they walked in off of /v/ and mock donation comments. I have plenty of regard for many speedruns and speedrunning, but I'm just done with GDQ and many of its adjacent events.

I watched that first one live. It was super painful to watch. And you could not pay me enough to watch a 100% map speedrun.
I'd rather play Samus Returns again than Other M, though. At least the former doesn't have a toxic story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I never played Other M, nor have I played Federation Forces. I'm speaking purely of the Metroid games I've actually played.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Honestly, the 2D entry I like the least is ZM and by lesser extension AM2R, due entirely to how twitchy they are to control, and frankly, along with Fusion, an overreliance on the Speed Booster/Shinespark for puzzles. Zero Mission also just falls apart structurally after beating Mother Brain for me.

It’s not even that I hate the Speed Booster either, but Shinespark puzzles are such a loving slog when they’re the only puzzle you do in the end game.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

bladeworksmaster posted:

Honestly, the 2D entry I like the least is ZM and by lesser extension AM2R, due entirely to how twitchy they are to control, and frankly, along with Fusion, an overreliance on the Speed Booster/Shinespark for puzzles. Zero Mission also just falls apart structurally after beating Mother Brain for me.

It’s not even that I hate the Speed Booster either, but Shinespark puzzles are such a loving slog when they’re the only puzzle you do in the end game.

More or less how I feel. Also how they replaced every instrument with "choir ooh" so it's trying way to hard to sound mysterious and ancient or whatever. It's an enjoyable game in its own right, but it just takes itself way too seriously.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
What's people's issue with Samus Returns. That was great fun.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Needing to melee counter every single enemy if you wanted to not spend an eternity filling them up with plasma because they take roughly no damage unless stunned, even for throwaway enemies.

That's my main beef with it, at least. Otherwise it's a lot of fun. The bossfights (yes, all of them) are kinda meh, though.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Geemer posted:

Needing to melee counter every single enemy if you wanted to not spend an eternity filling them up with plasma because they take roughly no damage unless stunned, even for throwaway enemies.

That's my main beef with it, at least. Otherwise it's a lot of fun. The bossfights (yes, all of them) are kinda meh, though.

Eh, the boss fights were easily the best part of the game for me on SR (aside from the Grapple Beam being given some much needed love)if you ice punch or missile enemies there’s almost zero need for waiting to melee counter also.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Enemies aren't really supposed to be much of a thing in Metroid games, I think. They shuffle around, get in your way a bit, and give you energy refills when you need them. They're disposable and mostly add to the environmental atmosphere. One of the reasons I have trouble replaying the Prime games is because of how often they have regular respawning enemies follow you around and harass you, and they will just not gently caress off until you challenge them to *~Honorable Combat~*. Sounds like Samus Returns has the same problem of needing to stop and engage with all the enemies when you're just going between rooms.

For as much as I enjoy most of the series, it seems like Super Metroid is the only one I really like.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsterEnvy posted:

My personal issue was the extreme damage enemies did. Even regular garbo enemies did stupidly huge amounts of damage, much less bosses who could easily drain an E-Tank a hit. The shear amount of damage output was not helped by how stingy the game was with E-Tanks, and the end result was that I died way more in Samus Returns than any other Metroid game. Moreover many of my deaths felt unfair, the combination of ultra high damage for even a scrape and extremely durable major enemies and bosses (god help you if you aren't parrying everything ever) made big fights a slog, and this is a remake of Metroid 2 where the game is BUILT on fighting boss tier enemies to progress. And it's clear to me this was absolutely a deliberate ongoing design decision considering that immediately after the area you got the Varia suit enemy damage output doubled so there was functionally no change in survivability, and before you wonder enemy damage does indeed double again after the Gravity suit.

Shoutouts also to the Power Bomb boss for being the ascension of this problem, the boss did stupid high damage with a twitchy and obnoxious hitbox and it was real easy to take collision damage doing what you needed to do to hurt him, and of course collision damage was some 80 energy at a point where your energy max was something like 700.

Ultimately I just found that the game was not fun to play. Metroid Prime may have incredibly bullet spongey enemies, but at the very least they aren't eating an Energy Tank every time you take a poke.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Omnicrom posted:

My personal issue was the extreme damage enemies did. Even regular garbo enemies did stupidly huge amounts of damage, much less bosses who could easily drain an E-Tank a hit. The shear amount of damage output was not helped by how stingy the game was with E-Tanks, and the end result was that I died way more in Samus Returns than any other Metroid game. Moreover many of my deaths felt unfair, the combination of ultra high damage for even a scrape and extremely durable major enemies and bosses (god help you if you aren't parrying everything ever) made big fights a slog, and this is a remake of Metroid 2 where the game is BUILT on fighting boss tier enemies to progress. And it's clear to me this was absolutely a deliberate ongoing design decision considering that immediately after the area you got the Varia suit enemy damage output doubled so there was functionally no change in survivability, and before you wonder enemy damage does indeed double again after the Gravity suit.

Shoutouts also to the Power Bomb boss for being the ascension of this problem, the boss did stupid high damage with a twitchy and obnoxious hitbox and it was real easy to take collision damage doing what you needed to do to hurt him, and of course collision damage was some 80 energy at a point where your energy max was something like 700.

Ultimately I just found that the game was not fun to play. Metroid Prime may have incredibly bullet spongey enemies, but at the very least they aren't eating an Energy Tank every time you take a poke.

This man summed it up better than I ever could.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, the whole having to actually mess with 90% of enemies thing makes exploring a real drag. There's the lightning armour that lets you just run about, but that isn't infinite and its still easier to counter > blow up enemies for the most part because you want to save all the energy that would use up on the super mega gun so you can feel like you're damaging the boss when you get there. Even fighting the bosses is mostly an exercise in baiting the parry move because it feels like you're doing no damage otherwise.

If you die on a boss you don't have to reload from your last save, it'll put you a room away or whatever so they were even aware that enemy damage was so high as to cause an issue.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Coincidentally, Adam Millard just released an interesting video about Metroidvania and it contains a part where he dives into Super Metroid in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BRo_E8LnHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geemer posted:

You sure cause I did not notice that. Enemies went down pretty easy as the game went on.

And I don't mind a challenge so the high damage did not bother me. I liked the Boss Fights the final one in particular was a lot of fun.