Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
This is going to be a loooooong LP. Not that that's a bad thing.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

As far as I can recall, there's only one spot in Super Metroid where it actually makes you walljump and it's demonstrated what you need to do very, very thoroughly.

At the very least, I was always abysmal at it and I remember being able to clear the game (though not near 100%) without issue.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Everyone else cringed at the end when he super missiled the "worst enemy in the game", right?

If anyone hasn't played/has forgotten, the joke is those grabber snake things can be frozen, and freezing them will even give you something to stand on so you don't fall in the spikes.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Hum. I remember finding precision jumping in this game to be super easy. But a large part of that might be experience/muscle memory; I played this game a lot as a kid. If it's part of the jumping being floaty or whatever it's probably mostly dependent on what you're used to.

Anyways... place your bets, next update how many attempts will it take Nat to get the troll energy tank?

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 8, 2020

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

It amuses me that I found the wall jump endlessly frustrating and avoided doing it whenever possible, but loved the shine spark and did it everywhere, while Nat is apparently the opposite.

And count me in as another actively watching.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

That boss feels really boring, though. One attack of destructible projectiles, one attack that only becomes threatening if you don't figure out the glaringly obvious weak point and that's it. The worst I can see it doing is tricking the player into thinking they don't have the proper tool to fight this thing yet and re-loading.

Well, I think the only real way Crocomire wins is pushing you onto the spikes. But mostly it's just a quick miniboss - it looked much harder than normal in this video since Nat didn't realize charge shots work until late.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I'd have to agree with Nat; the "troll room" is as close as the game comes to mandatory x-ray scope room. Unless you've played the game before, of course, in which case it seems obvious that the third plant without the grabber is odd.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Something that's not obvious about Phantoon is that if you hit him with a supermissile he cancels out of his current pattern and does that whole bullet hell pattern while invulnerable that gave you so much trouble. Charge beams and normal missiles don't have the same result.

On the plus side, as you found out it only takes a few supermissile hits to kill him.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I guess I'm kind of weird, or at least different, because I find the high speed action and jumping of modern platformers very frustrating but find the slower, more laid back jumping and grappling beam swinging we saw in this video to be a lot of fun. It actually took me by surprise when Nat spontaneously started talking about how frustrating it was.

Not the quicksand though. That stuff is definitely annoying.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

No offense, but I don't see how the hell you can love walljumping so much and then complain about the spacejump being frustrating and difficult :colbert:. I played Super Metroid for years and never got good at wall jumping but the space jump always felt quite intuitive to me.

As for Draygon, I've always seen the "easy" way of beating him to be practically a secret/easter egg. I mean, I can see how you could stumble onto it - Nat nearly did in this video - but I don't think it's really the intended or expected way to fight him. Incidentally, he only "grabs" you if you get caught in the stuff he spits out (that slows you down if it sticks to you); spamming missiles wasn't preventing him from grabbing you so much as it was destroying the projectiles before they touched you.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's definitely finicky, but once you get the hang of it it works pretty well.

The irony is I think it works pretty much exactly like wall jumping without a wall.

But yeah, it's one of those things where it's confusing at first, then you get the hang of it and suddenly it just works like magic.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Truthkeeper posted:

I keep getting irrationally angry with Nat20 whenever he blames the game designers for his own inability to get the hang of something millions of other people can do with no issues, despite the face that I do the exact same thing all the time with this same game.

It's kind of making me realize how much the fundamentals of games have changed over all these years. Take Draygon - Nat20 complained that none of the information you needed was obvious, and I think that might be because modern games make an effort to try to be very obvious about important gameplay info like that, while older games didn't (also in the SNES days dying a few times to learn a boss's patterns wouldn't have been seen as out of the ordinary).

I don't really think of it in terms of "x is better and y is inferior", just how things have changed.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Watching this video, I had a realization. The last three minutes of this game are going to be hilarious. Also I oppose telling him because I don't see how you could without warning about the last 3 minutes and I want to see his reaction.

I was thinking maybe using a stick instead of a d-pad was why Nat was having so much trouble with the space jump, but then Yorkshire Tea took over and he didn't seem to have any problems. I think Nat might just have some sort of space jump disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Shitenshi posted:

I'm surprised to hear you complain about the Space Jump when right before your rematch with the Golden Torizo and you were farming energy/missiles, you were using it like a boss across those lava pits. It's only in specific instances like that door in Brinstar that it's kind of irritating.

Tell the man about the thing!

From the last few videos I've noticed that Nat's ability to use the space jump seems to be the exact inverse of how frustrated he is sounding at the time.

Which, of course, means that once he starts complaining about the space jump he gets more frustrated and thus gets worse at the space jump.