Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

ItBreathes posted:

Most of the time getting a new ability just lets you open some doors, which often have other locked doors behind them since Zebes is an alien base, not a level for Samus to progress through.

Huh. I've wondered about why they even bother to place, say, green doors long after the point where you should have Super Missiles. Or how pointless red doors are after the first fifteen minutes of the game. Never thought of it like that, though. Do they all happen to line up with "important" locations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Remember a lot of these games -- especially older games -- are meant to be replayed. One of the joys of replaying Super Metroid is suddenly finding more missile packs you don't need.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Have to admit, I got a bit angry watching this. What kind of entitled attitude do you need to have to expect to never die to a boss?

Unironically teach me how to think like you. I get all angry and indignant whenever I experience the slightest difficulty with a game and I hate it.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Super Metroid is probably the most execution-heavy platformer like, ever. I've been going back to it over and over for a good twenty years or so, and there are still simple movements I mess up.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
What do you think about the atmosphere? I'm an "expert" and still have trouble with the needlessly difficult controls sometimes, but the game's moody isolated feeling is one of its strong points, I think.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Super Metroid feels best to casually speedrun. I save, take breaks, and go by the in-game time at the end. Never agreed with the whole "every game must be single-session, even RPGs" thing they've got going now.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

bladeworksmaster posted:

Honestly, the 2D entry I like the least is ZM and by lesser extension AM2R, due entirely to how twitchy they are to control, and frankly, along with Fusion, an overreliance on the Speed Booster/Shinespark for puzzles. Zero Mission also just falls apart structurally after beating Mother Brain for me.

It’s not even that I hate the Speed Booster either, but Shinespark puzzles are such a loving slog when they’re the only puzzle you do in the end game.

More or less how I feel. Also how they replaced every instrument with "choir ooh" so it's trying way to hard to sound mysterious and ancient or whatever. It's an enjoyable game in its own right, but it just takes itself way too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Enemies aren't really supposed to be much of a thing in Metroid games, I think. They shuffle around, get in your way a bit, and give you energy refills when you need them. They're disposable and mostly add to the environmental atmosphere. One of the reasons I have trouble replaying the Prime games is because of how often they have regular respawning enemies follow you around and harass you, and they will just not gently caress off until you challenge them to *~Honorable Combat~*. Sounds like Samus Returns has the same problem of needing to stop and engage with all the enemies when you're just going between rooms.

For as much as I enjoy most of the series, it seems like Super Metroid is the only one I really like.