Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Truthkeeper posted:

With ten minutes sunk into the game you are already insultingly better at wall-jumping than I am.

I have been playing that game since 1995 and I can never manage a wall jump reliably. I don't know if it's timing or what, but my hands just don't move right no matter how much I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nidoking posted:

I remember reaching the mandatory wall-jump area, being perfectly aware of what I was expected to do, having previously seen a similar situation that taught me how to Shinespark, which was required to leave the area, yet being unable to do it even the tiny bit needed to progress. And I had saved in that situation. Finally, I found a way to Shinespark in the tiny area provided, which got me out of there without the expected reward. That wasn't the only time I completely failed to grasp a basic game mechanic and found a workaround.

I didn't know you could get out like you did, my only way out of that area has been to hand the controller to somebody else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think bounty hunter is a cultural difference for all of Japan, just a misunderstanding on the part of the folks at Nintendo who used it for "cool space explorer". Mercenary or Ronin could describe her as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

The funny thing is that instead of walljumping up to the super missile door, you could have done a running jump from the save room and wall jumped up the other ledge and skipped all that long way around to the wave beam and speed booster.

Eh, that jump's not quite pixel-perfect but it's close. Nothing funny about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zernach posted:

I was screaming at my screen when[...]

Blind LPs are a good example of some things we take for granted because we've been playing it for 25 years.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

All :wal: jeering aside, the bomb jump was clever and I'm gonna do it that way from now on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Oh my loving god, this is gonna be a trainwreck, isn't it?

:getin:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know if you consider technique a spoiler, but the way I reliably pull off a bomb jump is a waltz rhythm. Bomb-wait-bomb-bomb-wait-bomb-bomb-wait and so on. Getting the tempo right takes fine tuning but if you're musical that may help.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Also fully agreeing Nat is bizarrely anti-genre saavy. It's kind of fascinating to see how badly he crosses his signals.

This is what makes blind playthroughs interesting, because there's a lot of stuff we take for granted both in general logic and specific details. I've seen a lot of blind runners get stuck trying to find Kraid because even though his area is on the map the way in's through an elevator room that people don't parse as somewhere to look further, and the only obvious bomb spot before then was the super-obvious charge beam. Or they lose track of what weapons reveal special blocks, shoot it with the normal gun and walk away.

But since we already know what the solution is, it's "obvious".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

magikid posted:

Huh. I've wondered about why they even bother to place, say, green doors long after the point where you should have Super Missiles. Or how pointless red doors are after the first fifteen minutes of the game. Never thought of it like that, though. Do they all happen to line up with "important" locations?

It's the language of the game and you can put lore behind it if you want. Blue is hallways, the other doors are items with higher colors (aside from initial locking) generally meaning bigger items

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bremen posted:

I'd have to agree with Nat; the "troll room" is as close as the game comes to mandatory x-ray scope room. Unless you've played the game before, of course, in which case it seems obvious that the third plant without the grabber is odd.

I enjoyed that due to the limited range of the scope he first scanned the end of that room in the one spot where it couldn't reach the hole.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

I'm not going to say it's "obvious", especially since I remember it pretty clearly nowadays, but the game did put up signposts if you're on the right wavelength to see them.

Also, it's a power bomb pack. If that were for progression it would be much more egregious. I'm not going to rake this game over the coals for every missile pack Nat doesn't spot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

The bigger issue is that previously those plants have been shown to do damage so the sign-posting in this room goes against the sign-posting the game has previously established.

In my memory I always remember that plant as not moving which would make it more obviously fake. Not the case though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I appreciate the progression of "ooo, poo poo, gently caress, I am so mad right now."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

ahahahaha what :psyduck:

If done wrong it insta-kills you because it removes invincibility frames. You just immediately go down to zero and get the reserve tank refilling animation to comprehend how much you just screwed up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Geemer posted:

It's definitely the stick, Nat's clearly not moving it through neutral when changing direction and that keeps breaking him out of the spin jump. Hitting the ceiling really doesn't matter.
Super Metroid's space jump still is incredibly janky though.

I don't think there's any d-pad game that handles a stick well, particularly not Nintendo ones which had a (copyright-enforced) great d-pad while everyone else uses those slidey ones. Mainly because sticks need a dead-zone, modern games with d-pad menuing options and such account for that but old ones tend to treat any amount of input as full-on because they don't know how to do otherwise. But yeah, the game's controls were tightened up in later sequels and going back feels janky when it was fine at the time.

As for telling him... 5 seconds after he passed it.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 14, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Original metroid didn't have space jump if I remember right, it was introduced in Return of Samus basically as an upgrade to the spider ball for getting around those big cavernous rooms. It definitely feels out of place back in the regular hallways.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Geemer posted:

Keep in mind, though, that he's playing on the Switch. Nintendo's own SNES emulator. They did build in a bit of a deadzone for the stick, but not terribly much.

Oh, I just assumed emulator with gamepad. Bit of projection there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

Are all the bosses naturally that easy on their own (because that's the first time I've seen them die that fast) and the standard longer fights that people will usually have is due to them being cautious, or is that guy taking advantage of some glitch in their patterns that makes them squishier?

No squishy-glitch, just knowing the routines and having techniques (such as the aforementioned dopplering on Phantoon) to maximise damage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Some guy got tired of the GDQ memes (WAH!), bummed a mic off one of the couch and told everyone to walk in front of a bus. Year before that they did a very risky low% run/route for a race and 3/4 of the runners died early. Also the save/kill donation incentive overshadowed other runs.

I don't think any one of those was responsible for the break, but the combination of them led to the game taking a year off and now though they still have it as a highlight at the end of the week save/kill isn't even an option until all the week's other donation incentives have been met. They don't want the animals memewar distracting from "play this game at all" incentives, or it becoming the focus of the whole week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Low-HP bosses isn't a bad thing. Look at the LP's attempts and most of the fights are missed shots or trying to find an opening while learning what they throw. A large life bar on top of that would be maddening.