Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

It's a game that needs no introduction. It's been LP'd, randomised, played backwards, forwards, up and down.

Super Metroid is a classic. A game from 1995 that still finds relevance to this day as the cornerstone of a beloved genre and at the heart of a renaissance of Indie gaming.

I could go into the history of the series, ascending and advancing from the original, through the gameboy to this point, but I won't. It is a titan and its acclaim is well deserved.

Instead I will say this:

More than ten years ago I played Super Metroid.

I got bored of the game and quit playing.

I remember almost nothing of the experience.

About the LP

I will be playing alongside my erstwhile colleague and best friend, the incredible Yorkshire Tea. Tea has played Super Metroid through and knows the ins and outs of the game. I on the other hand will be coming in with the haze of an old man that hasn't see the thing for 10 years and barely remembers anything about it through the beer fueled haze that hid it the last time.

What Tea and I are looking to do is see how much the LP format itself might change an impression of the game, how much I might have change over the years and potentially, how much my experience with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, might also have changed my attitude.

Art like the title image and the episode banners will be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bellmaker posted:

How can you walljump three seconds into the game :psyboom:

Also young me wants you to know it's Zee Bess dammit

She has a wall jump in Smash! I figured she must have one here as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Oberndorf posted:

Did you guys do an LP of the Prime series? Wasn’t on your YouTube channel. I’d love to see it, if it exists.

No we've not done Prime. Both of us have played the entire Trilogy though. I suppose if there's demand we'll have a go of it, but given that we're both really familiar with the game it kinda goes against our LP philosophy of always having a player who's blind to the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

The way Samus is going invisible when she's supposed to be translucent (the elevators are a good example) makes this a little bit confusing to follow in places.

Is that not meant to happen?

I'll look into it but it's probably the Switch Emulator being weird.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sindai posted:

The effect looks fine at 720 and 1080 because those are also 60fps, it's only an issue at 480 and below.

Okay good, i couldn't figure out what was wrong when I watched it myself.

The videos are encoded to be viewed at 720 or higher, you might not get the best viewing experience if you go for a lower resolution!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Usually my stuff is preloaded and debuts on my channel at airtime on its own so if I don't post an update (usually due to Friday drinking) then it'll still go up on YouTube.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 1, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Banner art will be up a little later than normal!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 8, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I've realised what I missed now.

Suffice to say at our next recording session I'm going to have a lot to discuss about my thought processes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

oldskool posted:

Coming into this LP with even less Metroid experience than Nat, I have to admit that his "Why is this here if there's nothing there" logic makes sense to me. There do seem to be a lot of paths that don't lead to much of anything, whereas I'd expect like....at least a missile upgrade or something.

(also i've had this gangtag for 18 months and I only now, after several references to shinesparking in this video, know what it refers to)

In your defense I've been very confused for the past year about why the Finespark tag has Samus on it when it was clearly referring to a Fox that technique from Smash Melee.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
At least with Draygon the problem to me lies in the visual language around the boss.

If I get grabbed in say Smash and mash my way out then two things happen.

1. The grab ends early.
2. The attacking character has an animation indicating their surprise.

With Draygon neither of these happen. So I tried to mash out only to just be held by the boss for around half a minute. I concluded, reasonably I think, that mashing didn't work and tried something else.

The only indicator that mashing is doing anything is the health indicator which will vary based on how much you mash. The problem is here that for a new player, you don't

A) know how much damage the attack is meant to do.
B) know what causes less damage to be done.

But mostly, I dislike it because it's just so long of not being able to do anything. I'd much rather touching the boss hit me for 400 damage because then I'd still be playing the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 7, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 20

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 12, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

A double bill!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

And that my friends is all she wrote for this LP.

Tea and I will as always be taking a short break between LPs and as we often like to do we'll be putting our next LP to a vote. We'll also be taking a short break from Metroidvanias so that they don't get old!

Coronavirus permitting we're hoping to start up again at the end of April or beginning of May.

The options are:

1. Trials of Mana remake: Controller Passing challenge. (Tea and I each play one character and must pass the controller if we ever need to switch)

2. Bioshock Blind: Yorkshire Tea running Blind through Bioshock.

3. Resident Evil 2 Remake Blind: Natural20 continues a blind run he recorded in December but never aired and gave up on a few hours in. (Alongside the original footage.)

https://www.strawpoll.me/19573590

Thanks so much for watching along and we hope you catch up with us on our next adventure.