Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't think I'll ever understand the X shoot and A jump defaults for this game. Really early games could almost be forgiven because the extra buttons were new and everyone was used to B shoot and A jump (although SNES-era games that used B jump and A shoot have no excuse), but Super Metroid was late enough that B was firmly established as The Button What Makes The You Jump (TM). I don't know anyone who has played any other game and didn't change it to Y shoot, B jump. I can see the appeal of using a trigger for run, but I felt A run and X cancel worked well enough, and for some reason, I switched the triggers and got used to it and now can't remember which was which by default.

Shadow of the Colossus using Triangle for jump is beyond the scope of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I remember reaching the mandatory wall-jump area, being perfectly aware of what I was expected to do, having previously seen a similar situation that taught me how to Shinespark, which was required to leave the area, yet being unable to do it even the tiny bit needed to progress. And I had saved in that situation. Finally, I found a way to Shinespark in the tiny area provided, which got me out of there without the expected reward. That wasn't the only time I completely failed to grasp a basic game mechanic and found a workaround.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm just sad that it's now impossible that he will ever accidentally discover Charge Beam combos the way I did.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My first time through, I couldn't figure out that jumping while Speed Boosting would get me up to the Grapple Beam door, so I did something weird with a Shinespark to get it. I don't think I managed a diagonal one - I think I just charged it, jumped as far out as I could, went straight up, and somehow made it to the door that way. When one of my younger brothers figured out the intended way to do it, I felt really bad.