Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You use the moonwalk setting because it's rad as hell, that's why.

Besides that you know that shaft you tried to get up? You totally can get to the top, the tile up there is destructible with a charge shot and some finesse in walljumping. It's commonly used in speedruns to get power bombs early and also access the wrecked ship to get the gravity suit super early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly I've always felt like the SNES controller has one button too few to make an actually good control scheme for Super Metroid possible.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is why it's a bad idea to let someone playing the game for the first time wall jump.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mentioned it before, but you totally can get up that shaft early by wall jumping. You break the top block by firing a charge shot and then jumping immediately in a very precise way to keep the shot on screen long enough to hit the block before it despawns. This lets you get power bombs early and thus you can sequence break like a motherfucker.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Seriously, if I were Yorkshire Tea, I would have screamed into the mic to let out my pure frustration several times already.

Also, the wall jump thing reminds me of "if all you have is a hammer, all problems begin to look like a nail".

For the record, I was actively watching, until he decided to try wall jumping that hole, then I switched it to the background.

Yea, the dedication that Nat20 has to disregarding all the other tools the game gives you in favour of constant walljumping is actually pretty impressive.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh my loving god, this is gonna be a trainwreck, isn't it?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

Iirc it isn't.

Yeah, this part is intended to be accessible at this point.

However, you can use it for some primo sequencebreaking if you're really good and know all the speedrunning tricks.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 13, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Odd man out style puzzles have been a goddamn staple since forever, so this one has to be chalked up to Nat simultaneously overthinking everything while completely missing what the game is trying to tell him.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Draygon is an rear end, and that's all there is to it :colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's definitely finicky, but once you get the hang of it it works pretty well.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
By the way Nat, do you feel like a complete monster for trying to murder an innocent turtle that was just trying to protect its babies? Because you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

Eagerly looking forward to the promised "Nat and Tea watch a speedrun"

Especially if they watch a reverse boss order speedrun.