Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you don't consider reading the manual spoilers, you wouldn't consider this spoilers either. But I'm still sticking it behind a tag to be safe.

Nat 20, have you taken the time to let the intro demo loop a bunch of times instead of immediately pressing start?
Additional to that more clips unlock after you beat the game, or maybe it's just progress based, I dunno..

It'd be pretty interesting to hear your response to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ah... The spring ball room. The location of the first sword in the last seed of SMxLttP I played. What a pain in the dick. :)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mashing while you're grabbed makes you flail all around the arena without getting poked by the tail instead of floating in the middle while getting hosed up.
The comment that there's no feedback to confirm mashing helps is really weird to me.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Space Jump has a really weird activation window in Super Metroid. You need to be falling for a bit before you can activate it. But not too little, and absolutely not too much.
Gently going down with it is a huge pain in the dick because if you fall more than two Samus heights you miss your window and are committed to landing.

It's fine once you're used to it, but the second you get the space jump in any more modern 2D Metroid, you know it was actually real bad.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I believe Ridley actually can't die until he's taken enough damage and then grabs you. So you got lucky that you weren't good at avoiding the grab.

Going in to golden torizo with only a quarter of your health and barely any ammo, though. What a rude awakening.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Definitely tell him.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's definitely the stick, Nat's clearly not moving it through neutral when changing direction and that keeps breaking him out of the spin jump. Hitting the ceiling really doesn't matter.
Super Metroid's space jump still is incredibly janky though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I don't think there's any d-pad game that handles a stick well, particularly not Nintendo ones which had a (copyright-enforced) great d-pad while everyone else uses those slidey ones. Mainly because sticks need a dead-zone, modern games with d-pad menuing options and such account for that but old ones tend to treat any amount of input as full-on because they don't know how to do otherwise. But yeah, the game's controls were tightened up in later sequels and going back feels janky when it was fine at the time.

As for telling him... 5 seconds after he passed it.

Keep in mind, though, that he's playing on the Switch. Nintendo's own SNES emulator. They did build in a bit of a deadzone for the stick, but not terribly much.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now that Nat has the Screw Attack, this game has the pseudo-Screw attack right, and Nat never found about it because he never uses charged shots unless forced to?

The pseudo-Screw attack is doing a spin jump while your beam is charged. If you hit enemies while in that mode both you and the enemy will take damage, and I think the damage is equal to the power of your charged shot, but it doesn't use up the charge.

It actually doesn't hurt you if the enemy's weak enough to die from it, but it always consumes the charge.

It's actually one of the techniques shown off in the demo reel if you let the title screen loop a couple of times.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I was so happy when Super Metroid disappeared from GDQ for a while because of a runner having meltdown.
But now that it's back, it's also got its lovely save/kill donation incentive that makes it impossible to watch any run scheduled before (or sometimes even directly after) Super Metroid without every single donation being read out ending with "and of course ... the animals", making them excruciating to watch.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

now Zero Mission... that one's my jam. captured both what i loved about Super and Fusion.

Too bad Samus Returns dropped most of it to focus ridiculously hard on its new gimmick, leaving Zero Mission as still the best 2D Metroid.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Samus Returns made intensely stupid and obnoxious decisions about a number of aspects of its gameplay. To date it is the only Metroid since the original I genuinely do not like.

Also if we're talking about pain watching GDQ you should check out the GDQ run of Samus Returns which twice has the runner sitting there in morph ball rolling back and forth for literal minutes while the commentator is on unlimited donation mode until he succeeds at a glitch randomly clips into the floor to skip a huge chunk of the game. Alternately if you really hate yourself watch the Super Metroid 100% Map Speedrun where the runner and couch talk like they walked in off of /v/ and mock donation comments. I have plenty of regard for many speedruns and speedrunning, but I'm just done with GDQ and many of its adjacent events.

I watched that first one live. It was super painful to watch. And you could not pay me enough to watch a 100% map speedrun.
I'd rather play Samus Returns again than Other M, though. At least the former doesn't have a toxic story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

What's people's issue with Samus Returns. That was great fun.

Needing to melee counter every single enemy if you wanted to not spend an eternity filling them up with plasma because they take roughly no damage unless stunned, even for throwaway enemies.

That's my main beef with it, at least. Otherwise it's a lot of fun. The bossfights (yes, all of them) are kinda meh, though.