Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

StoryTime posted:

God this is stressful. He's going to end up in some hellhole in Maridia without the suit, isn't he.
The possibility of something like that happening is one of the main draws of the Metroid games, imo

Even in Prime you can end up way the hell deep in the sunken frigate, get an E-Tank at least, find out you juuuust can't do the platforming up one of the final slopes, but you saved down there and have to slooowly underwater platform your way back. It's an amazing memory I never want to repeat

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I've seen "verb" used as a general term for "what can you DO in a videogame", especially in the context of blind LPs. So in the first episode for example, when thinking about how to destroy the rock, one could say "consider your verbs" which are run, jump, duck, morph ball, and shoot and that's basically it, and one of them needs to be the solution.

But yeah, it's also a thing to think about in more general design terms, for example when your verb is "jump", you can do a lot of things with "a jump" but maybe it's a little limited as vocabulary, so you add things like "jump high" or "running jump", or new verbs like "grapple". And then you think about what you can do with grapple, like "grapple to enemies" or "drag blocks" and so on.

It also helps when you design a verb like "erase red squares" and you realize that this is the only thing it does and that's super boring and limited, so you have to expand it to "erase red THINGS" or whatever.

As for another thing talked about in the video, Mega Man X4 is still good but X5 and 6 are in fact dogshit. X7, on PS2, is somehow even worse than 6 but X8 is decent and worth a try, it just has too many drat gimmick stages. I only got the X5-8 Legacy collection on Switch (not the first for X1-4) because I have brain issues and love terrible games, for the record.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That room is a fucker and I hate it, and I'm fully in camp "the joke isn't obvious at all".

My most recent replay had me stuck at this part, after the Powerbombs, for a while - looking forward to seeing how it goes!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

This is as much a sequence break as going into the wrecked frigate as early as possible in Metroid Prime is: it's certainly inadvisable and won't get you far (at least in Prime you get an E-Tank, I forget what kind of goodies you might get early here), but it's very much allowed by the items you have available to you at that point, and there's no immediate reason why you'd think "oh no this is clearly the wrong way". After all, water doesn't kill you.

One could argue that the game wouldn't force you to go through water rooms much like it doesn't force you to go through hot rooms, but the first two Primes (one room in 1, many more in 2), Fusion and Samus Returns just off the top of my head absolutely do, so

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think people also tend to forget how their first completely blind playthrough of a game like this really went. Nat20 faffing about in a room for 5 min seems like an hour when watching and screaming the solution at the screen, but your own days of simply not finding the next upgrade get lost in memory.

There's some moments in the structure of every Metroid game where the game blatantly expects you to do exactly that: get lost and explore. Here, it's after Speed Booster and Powerbombs, which open a lot of things, and which you've been waiting for for a long time, so Grapple is deliberately out of the way to incentivise you to find poo poo. It's actually quite important to not have the main path to be overly obvious, I think, because the type of player who just can't resist the call of the "quest marker" will otherwise lose out on too many powerups that are off the beaten path, and be underpowered for the endgame.

Both Prime 1 and 2 have a strong moment of this after getting the Boost ball. In each case, you have to backtrack through half the game so far to a kind of innocuous "pass-through" room to reach the next critical upgrade.

In Prime 1, after getting Boost in Phendrana, you have to go back to the room before the Chozo Ruins elevator in Tallon Overworld (the third room of the game) for the halfpipe leading to High-jump boots. You probably didn't even notice the halfpipe.

In Prime 2, Boost Guardian is in Dark Torvus Bog. The critical halfpipe, to Seeker Missiles, is after the elevator leading towards the path to Torvus in Temple Grounds. The pipe is more obvious (different material than the rest of the environment), but still very missable.

In both games, in my first playthroughs, I faffed around finding small powerups until the hint system told me where to go. You lack that in Super, so you'll get even more lost. I think that's deliberate, and necessary, and you can't blame Nat for that.