Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

You can also bomb jump your way out of that situation as well. :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Blind LPs are a good example of some things we take for granted because we've been playing it for 25 years.

Nah, I got it on release and thought that was one of the more obvious ones when I was playing through the first time. I think Tea was on to something when he said that there's been so many years of building on the formula that some things that were obvious then no longer are. And of course he doesn't have the X-ray scope yet.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I know that the speed-booster corridor is the "proper sequence" path to Crocomire/Grappling Beam, but getting the Wave Beam early is such a drat easy and convenient sequence break to pull off that I don't really blame Natural20 too much for his confusion. I rarely bother with that path myself.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

pointlessone posted:

I hope you guys are planning on watching a 100% speedrun of this game. To give you an idea of how crazy it is, the current route hits the Wrecked Ship around 20 minutes in without the grapple beam.

Oof. This LP got me to bust out my old SNES and copy of this game, and I managed to improve my best 100% time to 1:30, which is pretty good, but not speedrun-caliber.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Since speedruns have come up in the LP now, I went ahead and watched the top one.

JFC. :pusheen:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

As someone who also still struggles getting stuck in Maridia's mud, I was pretty impressed that Nat got the Spring Ball so easily. I've never been able to jump through the gap consistently and always hold off on that item until later.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Those sand rooms were incredibly frustrating to watch and I never even played this far into the game.

Fortunately, those rooms are about as bad as it gets. Most of the rest of Maridia is pretty non-threatening. That said, it's also probably why it happens to be my least-favorite area: it feels like there's not a whole lot going on for as big an area as it is.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I myself have never managed to beat Draygon through conventional means; I figured out the One Weird Trick for this boss on my first play through and figured that was the way you're supposed to do it, and that it probably had too much health to make a conventional fight practical. By the time I found out how little health Draygon actually had, I still figured, "eh, I still prefer the easy way."

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Honestly, Nat did good overall. 76% in 6:40 on his first real play through the game is better than I did. I really do think he should have been able to get one more energy tank and one more Super Missile expansion; the one in Brinstar, where he kept looking for the entrance to the area, and the other in the wrecked ship, where he exposed the path on the way down to the boss and didn't make note of it. Some of the missile tanks are hard to find, especially on a first time through. I say they should watch a 100% speed run so they can see what he missed. I myself was tempted to do a 100% non-speedrun of the game to show off "normal player" tricks and strategies, but I haven't got any way to record footage other than pointing a cell phone at my TV screen. Good options for recording off older systems are really expensive, I found out.