Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god why do you know about wall jumps, you're just gonna get yourself stuck in areas you're not supposed to be in yet. I mean, you already kinda did so by skipping the "you can shoot ground-level blocks" tutorial at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Youtube seems to default to 480p a lot for me, too. Manually setting the quality higher usually fixes it. I think it might be trying (and failing) to auto-set to your Internet/Wifi speeds.

Also, has anyone else had a problem with Youtube where sometimes it will report higher quality than it's actually running at? Videos will sometimes say they're set to 720p, but look more like 480p or lower quality, and manually setting the quality will cause Youtube to properly display.

Yes, that happens when it says "auto" before the quality. That seems to mean "we will automatically choose a lower quality for you".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speedrunners turn off the auto reserve tanks sometimes and instead trigger them manually from the menu because the reserve tank takes some time to move the energy into the main energy bar, and during that time you can still take damage and die.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I am totally, without reservations, excited for Nat 20 to watch the world record Super Metroid any% just to see him lose his goddamn mind. For those not hip to the current Speedrun route for that category just know for starters it gets its first power bombs eight and a half minutes into the run.

Meanwhile in this playthrough I'm rather pleased with Nat finally starting to get hip to the groove of the game. And using the X-Ray visor more.

I'd watch a "Nat20-reacts" video.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh hey, you finally reached the lower parts of Norfair! Now I can post these renditions of Super Metroid music this channel made -

Brinstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYxe7FovZmw

Lower Norfair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZliYMv9LMM

What the channel does (for the most part) is try to use live instruments but make the music sound as similar as possible to the original tune. Mostly they do Final Fantasy (as you could guess from their name), but they've also done some other stuff, including these two tracks! They do have a couple misses here and there I feel, but these two turned out real good IMO.

Ooh, not just Final Fantasy but Classic Final Fantasy. Also Terranigma. Link to the Past. Great channel, thanks for the links.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Now that Nat has the Screw Attack, this game has the pseudo-Screw attack right, and Nat never found about it because he never uses charged shots unless forced to?

The pseudo-Screw attack is doing a spin jump while your beam is charged. If you hit enemies while in that mode both you and the enemy will take damage, and I think the damage is equal to the power of your charged shot, but it doesn't use up the charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Coincidentally, Adam Millard just released an interesting video about Metroidvania and it contains a part where he dives into Super Metroid in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BRo_E8LnHA