Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too pronounce it Zee Bees.

Looking forward to this, especially after I forgot about that after the long gap between SotN and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

are you playing on PAL or the NTSC emulator? If you were on PAL (or I think maybe TAS level skilled in NTSC) you could have just ran out of the Chorizo Torizo room.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Agreeing with the general concept of Natural20 being good enough to do fancy tricks, but not good enough to know when to stop.

So yeah, we're going to find him somehow doing speed run tricks and fumbling into reverse boss order or something.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I actually don't mind select for weapon switch.

However I absolutely agree it should be switched to duplicate Mega Man X controls. Crab Claw for running FTW.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I finally got a chance to watch the previous episode and was anxious about just how quickly you'd realize you were on fire before your fraction of a life ran out or you ran out of the room.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The funny thing is that instead of walljumping up to the super missile door, you could have done a running jump from the save room and wall jumped up the other ledge and skipped all that long way around to the wave beam and speed booster.

Also you suddenly forgot about the other missile tank.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've done it before (with multiple tries) and it takes me multiple times to do other basic level speed run stuff like mockball and such so I thought it wasn't that insane.

e: should also mention that it seems my controller just looooves to lose direction and drop out of a spin or anything for any reason, so that's the other reason for me thinking "someone with a non 25 year old controller would certainly have a better time of it"

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 6, 2020

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder where you'll go next?

I assume that you'll give up on giving up on wall jumping and end up in the Craterian Gauntlet.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too love the quarter profile mid turn sprites

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yea, the dedication that Nat20 has to disregarding all the other tools the game gives you in favour of constant walljumping is actually pretty impressive.

Hey he's using power bombs constantly too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

When I saw the above post I figured what was likely coming. As for the new area, the start of the music there always gave me this Dune 2-ish vibe, not exactly sure why.

For some reason that really makes no bloody sense to me when I hear the song I think of Smashing Pumpkins 1979.

also Yorkshire saying there's multiple ways to do something and usually the incredibly obtuse inefficient method is not the intended one and we end up in grav suitless maridia

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"the power bomb bricks..."

Yes! You know!

"by Kraid"?

what. Oh, that, the missiles....

So, so close to the ice beam route power bomb blocks that would also lead to Crocomire

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

As Yorkshire mentioned, this is a different way to get there. You got the wave beam, which isn't a mandatory item (and you sequence broke it) which let you get through the one way gate by the bubble room. Prime path would be Varia and Kraid, Speed Booster, Ice Beam, Up the Red soil area of Brinstar to power bombs, then back to Crocomire via the very visible power bomb blocks that you just went through.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 18, 2020

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The triumphant theme of constantly getting dunked on.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Its been about a day since my last crime. So here's another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqXKi8dnqQ

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My God you almost avoided that, I held my breath the first time you selected super missiles then switched back.

Yeah, you don't want to do that. He's got even less health than Kraid but between the tiny arena, short vulnerability windows that are usually blocked by a fireball, it suuuuuuuucks.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zernach posted:

Anyone else mildly annoyed that Nat doesn't use the charge beam more often to freeze tougher enemies?

Also that Gravity Suit exit was such a dick move.

I personally am always charging, but I know people don't like the charging sounds for this or Mega Man games so maybe that's why they're using it sparingly?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

I thought you could stand on those things, no?

I think trying to jump on them without the gravity suit was landing Samus within the hurtbox of the spikes, not the actual top of the platform?

Or maybe its something with the PAL version?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

wait you aren't not charging for courtesy, but because you can't claw the controller?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Like future games, the space jump here is still a bit wonky, but nowhere hear the flakiness of the problem of falling out of spin jumping and the tight window of wall jumping.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

ahahahaha what :psyduck:

yeah, its crazy does a ton of damage, plus saves the charge for a later shinespark, usually through that large mocktroid room that you had to deal with the grapple beam in so you can enjoy the simplicity of the space jump slowly but surely letting you get out in style. Damages the hell out of the ultimate pirates too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"The only other thing I can think of"

*X-Ray Visor*

"Now to wait for 6 years for the cancer to metastasize."

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

FYI don't call out Nintendo of Europe specifically, I know its also on the US release, so likely on all versions.

So just yell at Gunpei Yokoi and call it a day.

... :smith:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

A double bill!

Super Metroid doesn't have a bonus for 100%, only for finishing it fast. Zero Mission and Fusion have different ending screens for speed and/or item collection.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

If I rememeber right, Mother Brain's Plot Laser checks for Varia Suit for its damage calculation. So without it you'd need to get more energy tanks to survive.

In a 100% run you'd either not avoid damage in tourian or if you had too high health take the varia suit off to take more damage to enable the baby script to trigger.

e: also even if you had missiles and supermissiles after knocking out Mother Brain's first form, the Plot Laser zeroes out all your weapons so you have no choice but to use the Hyper Beam.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ikanreed posted:

So it's weird. After watching a recent GDQ, it seems like there are tricks to make the mother brain fight much faster, but they don't do it. It's supposed to be possible to shoot mother brain while the metroid heals you. If this is a world record run, it seems like that should be part of it.

Looks like it requires 700 health minimum to execute, so any% would lose time getting extra tanks to do so. That'd be a 100% trick.

There was also a point where you'd use the murder beam (glitched beam) that causes a constant damage stream which didn't need you to do anything but just stay alive. I think that went away when they stopped using in game time due to the lag.

Also I remember old paths where Phantoon was done later and they did some crazy card counting bullshit of hitting him with certain charge beam combos (like ice and spazer charge, ice and wave charge, then eventually all beam charge) to keep him in a vulnerable state long enough and then hammer him hard with the last hit.