Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

5 videos in and the combination of being able to walljump and the complete lack of gamesense is singularly frustrating. Yorkshire Tea has a patience and sanguinity I can only imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Iirc it isn't.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

There's some disagreement about it, but I've come to believe quote and edit are different things.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Reaching into the mists of whenever I played this first, but I think one of the things Super Metroid does best is make it feel like the environment wasn't made for you; Samus is the invader here. In most games when you get a power up the next hour of the game is about using that powerup. SM does it a bit with the grapple beam but it's also the most complicated of abilities you get (imo). Most of the time getting a new ability just lets you open some doors, which often have other locked doors behind them since Zebes is an alien base, not a level for Samus to progress through.

Also, there's knowing what to do, but there's also power bombing every room in case something is hidden there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

I was gonna say the rising and falling spikes which you can't jump on the top of for whatever reason followed Thwomp rules, but upon a visit to the Mario wiki, those weird ridges all over the Thwomps are apparently spikes. Thought they were just sentient sophisticated angry fuckoff blocks whose power came solely from the velocity from which they fell on people until now.

It's inconsistent. In the 3D games they tend to just be ridges, in the 2D games they're spikes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

"Its a thing in this game"

Perfect.

I thought you could stand on those things, no?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Draygon is annoying and mean and I'm amazed Nat had as little trouble as he did, I guess younger me never thought to just unload missiles, or maybe Nat got a good pattern or something.

Not mashing more when grabbed had me :pwn: too. It does end the attack sooner, but it's such a long-rear end attack I can see how you'd think otherwise. What I don't get is how you'd ever come to the conclusion that there was nothing you could do (here or in many other cases). What games are you playing where your only option is 'get hosed'?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Check your control settings again, there should be a way to deselect your special weapon without scrolling through all of them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Everything I could say about that fight Yorkshire Tea said for me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I just realized the icon for a full energy tank is just the corner of a tile on the map screen and now y'all get to know too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I feel like Nat's too quick to dismiss elements he doesn't personally like or find intuitive as bad / outdated game design. I find the space jump as tricky as the next person and it always takes me a minute to get out of draygon's room, but at that point I've got it and it literally is the ability to fly, provided you don't go into a standing jump on accident. Conversely, I've never gotten the hang of wall jumps or the grapple beam beyond the necessary and Nat has no trouble, and no problem, with them at all.

I wonder how Nat will react to Fusion's most common complaint. It sounds like he won't take issue with it, but being what it is, to the degree that it is, I'm not certain.

Symphony vs Super Metroid is an interesting question. Symphony has a lot of points in its favor, the castle is a more interesting environment, your equipment is more varied, it looks and sounds amazing, but on any play after maybe the first it's an absolutely trivial game, you have to willfully and to a great extent handicap yourself to not waltz through everything completely unchallenged. Nat's been crushing SM, but I feel as a game it asks more of the player to complete and thus holds up better as a thing to come.back to.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

2p1c and 90° are both ace too (but not ACE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

magikid posted:

Super Metroid feels best to casually speedrun. I save, take breaks, and go by the in-game time at the end. Never agreed with the whole "every game must be single-session, even RPGs" thing they've got going now.

Its, as far as I know, to stop people from splicing runs.