Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's been loving forever since I've played this game, but I'm going to guess that the jump there you gave up on at the end there is meant to be done by Shinesharking. Morph Ball+Bomb spam just seems way too goddamn repetitive a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This is some top tier sequence breaking. Just keep doing your thing, this can't possibly go wrong!

That random save point you dismissed earlier is starting to look pretty awesome in hindsight huh.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I forgot how annoying that Crocomire fight can be. Also, surprised you didn't try a running jump to the other end of the room right after killing Crocomire. Wouldn't be the most fortune favors the bold thing done in this playthrough so far.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I always love hearing Brits saying SNES as Sness. For awhile, I thought that you simply had to tough it out in the lava to make it through and as a result died horribly multiple times, not realizing at the time that the density effect in it like the water in this game makes it outright impossible as opposed to simply just another challenge you can grit your teeth through and make it out alive. I had been following Nintendo Power's walkthrough the whole time, so naturally, thought this was the way to go, not even realizing at the time this game's structure is far from linear.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

I've always done this and I'm not British :confused:

I always thought it was pronounced Sness over in the UK and Ess-en-ee-ess over in the states. Same with the NES too, just accommodate the pronunciation to lack the respective S parts. I remember reading a whole thing about that back when the SNES Classic was released.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Some of those tricky jumps make me grateful that they enabled ledge grabbing in Fusion and Zero Mission. And on the subject of wall jumping, you guys should try some of the Mega Man Zero games next.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I was gonna say the rising and falling spikes which you can't jump on the top of for whatever reason followed Thwomp rules, but upon a visit to the Mario wiki, those weird ridges all over the Thwomps are apparently spikes. Thought they were just sentient sophisticated angry fuckoff blocks whose power came solely from the velocity from which they fell on people until now.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 22, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Surprised you didn't freeze the green eldritch abominations and use them as stepping stones to navigate that room of quicksand. Haven't seen the DQ movie either, but it's an adaptation of the fifth one and all of those games are like FF in that they don't have a shared storyline/world.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I've seen people do diagonal shinespark jumps for out of the way upgrades like that later on down the road.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know Fusion is nowhere near as beloved as this one, but I do like that that game had a greater variety of bosses with the same hit and run patterns the ones here use, as well as avoiding the feeling of waiting for a mack truck to expose itself and being forced to dodge the incoming onslaught while at the same time hoping you get your licks in. At the very least there's nothing as insipidly boring as Crocomire in that one or upcoming for this game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So the latest update was already posted on Youtube and having caught it...

Is the Space Jump in this game really that bad? Last Metroid I played was Fusion, haven't played this one in forever to the point that I might as well have not played it, but from little I remember, that ability was never an issue. This is a pretty tough game relatively speaking, but the difficulty always seemed to lie with the bosses as opposed to any of the controls.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those invincible Space Pirates remind me way too much of the Super Putties from Power Rangers. How will our intrepid hero overcome this obstacle?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only bad thing about Fusion is that the JP release, which they got after us westerners got it early, got a cool hard mode, where we don't.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised to hear you complain about the Space Jump when right before your rematch with the Golden Torizo and you were farming energy/missiles, you were using it like a boss across those lava pits. It's only in specific instances like that door in Brinstar that it's kind of irritating.

Tell the man about the thing!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Between your remarks on linearity vs open-ended as well as preferring games with narrative, in addition to the overall quality of life improvements? You'll have a blast with Fusion.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Are all the bosses naturally that easy on their own (because that's the first time I've seen them die that fast) and the standard longer fights that people will usually have is due to them being cautious, or is that guy taking advantage of some glitch in their patterns that makes them squishier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

No squishy-glitch, just knowing the routines and having techniques (such as the aforementioned dopplering on Phantoon) to maximise damage.

Hot drat. Super is the game with the legacy and SOTN would probably never have existed without it, but objectively speaking, Fusion is looking more and more like the better game. I don't think any of that one's big bosses can be abused like that save the final two, yet they're chump change to start with.