Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Seriously, if I were Yorkshire Tea, I would have screamed into the mic to let out my pure frustration several times already.

Also, the wall jump thing reminds me of "if all you have is a hammer, all problems begin to look like a nail".

For the record, I was actively watching, until he decided to try wall jumping that hole, then I switched it to the background.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I want to clarify that I'm generally not at all bothered by Natural20 missing things or trying to wall jump at certain places. It can be a bit frustrating at times ("the secret is right there!!"), but I still enjoy the LP a lot. It's charming to see somebody play Super Metroid semi-blind. But this was the first time it felt like I've wasted my time watching this. The OP pointed out himself that he's bored, and that he has to keep his viewers in mind who might be bored as well.

I actually watched somebody bomb jump that hole (in a randomizer I think?), and I was totally fine with it. I think this might be an unique event, where Natural20 learning shine spark just a few minutes earlier, and already resorting to wall jumping while disregarding anything else might just have been too much for me in this specific instance. Keep up the fine work, Natural20 :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
"This feels like a dead end"

I'm so glad about this video's ending.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's amazing how super non-genre savvy Natural20 is for Super Metroid. Trying to swim through the lava, leaving rooms after they give him an upgrade without checking if there might be a secret in there, complaining about an alternative route that should at least award a missile pack or something without wondering whether there might actually be an item upgrade in it..., etc.

Yet he still makes great progress through the game, it's pretty impressive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bremen posted:

I'd have to agree with Nat; the "troll room" is as close as the game comes to mandatory x-ray scope room. Unless you've played the game before, of course, in which case it seems obvious that the third plant without the grabber is odd.

But Yorkshire Tea is right, there was a big visual clue in that room. You could stumble over this by using power bombs as a sort of replacement for the x-ray scope (which I did in quite a few rooms where I couldn't see a way to progress in my first Super Metroid playthrough). The room is certainly suspicious enough. But even if you don't (and I didn't as a kid), you can remember that this room exists once you get the x-ray scope, and scan it. Of course, Natural20 stood at one of the few points where a scan of the room didn't show the secret at first, but you can't fault the game for that.

Some of the other secret missile packs/energy tanks/etc. are certainly a lot more well hidden. This might be the only half-mandatory x-ray scope room, but I'd argue that it's much easier to find these power bombs without the x-ray scope than a lot of the other items just scattered around the game.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 20, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SSNeoman posted:

The bigger issue is that previously those plants have been shown to do damage so the sign-posting in this room goes against the sign-posting the game has previously established.

These power bombs are certainly better hidden than a lot of other items, but is that a negative? Calling this room a "troll room" when there is a hint in that one plant being empty in contrast to the other two seems like an overreaction. I'd say this is an appropriate level of obfuscation for a wholly optional power bomb pack. I think I'm just a bit baffled by Natural20 when he says something like "these are superfluous rooms/passages, there should at least be an item hidden as a reward". Then a quick search doesn't detect any items, and he concludes that there must not be any, and basically faults the devs for bad game design, when in reality there are items there, and he just hasn't found them.

But to get back to the "troll room", Natural20 did find the bomb pack, even if he had to use the x-ray scope to do so. That's fine I think. And I want to add, he's making good progress for a blind run. He's missed a number of optional item packs, but that's to be expected for a first playthrough. Yet he got to the Wrecked Ship in a very reasonable time. At this pace, he'll easily finish this LP next month. But he'll not find all the secrets in the game, and nobody should expect him to. I'm really enjoying this LP so far :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
"Hahaha - tit-tular."

I laughed.

Edit: I also had no problem with the grapple beam sections, but everybody enjoys different things in games. I also did a lot more shinesparking, because that always felt like a lot of fun to me.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Have to admit, I got a bit angry watching this. What kind of entitled attitude do you need to have to expect to never die to a boss? To say with a straight face that "I tried to do everything (reasonable)", when that's simply not true. Mashing buttons when you get grabbed by enemies is a staple in video games, not just Super Metroid. But Nat died to Draygon, so the boss sucks? :psyduck:

And then Nat's too uninterested to properly learn the space jump, and I'm seriously getting frustrated. Don't know if I will continue to watch this LP if this continues the next episode. This was my first Metroid game, and perhaps I'm seeing it through rose-tinted glasses, but I still love the game. I liked most of the following Metroid games, too (except Other M, gently caress that), yet I always found the controls in for example Fusion a tiny bit off. Because my muscle memory is just dominated from years of playing Super Metroid as a kid. But I never held that against those other games. Unlike Natural20, who clearly played the later Metroid games first, and is now put off by Super Metroid. And let's us know by constantly moaning about it.

To paraphrase: "This is not how Fusion did it, therefore it sucks". I have no problem when people think the later games are better than Super Metroid, it's is clearly dated in some respects. But the constant put downs get on my nerves. There's nothing to be done if Natural20 doesn't enjoy playing the game. It just saps my enjoyment of the LP, too :(