Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Big Bash is almost over. No international cricket on. Tennis is boring. NFL ends next week.

I'm ready for FOOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

ssmagus posted:

Hello fellow goon, tried watching basketball yet? I guess it's almost over as well.

Too many games to follow closely. I look at scores every day, read news and listen to podcasts, but its just... hard to follow.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The Melbourne pre-season documentary, 'To Hell and Back', has been short and not all that insightful until last night, especially the training component in the second half of the ep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dz78U9IEU

It was exhausting just watching them. The hill sprints in Episode 2 were pretty gnarly as well.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

When the 2020 season gets cancelled and players can just TRAIN for the next 12 months until the 2021 season... will that season be the best ever??

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

I like how the AFL saying “every option will be considered, nothing is off the table” but are sticking firm to 198 H&A games. Like, that seems like the easiest fix. Is it just because they don’t want to reduce it to 153 games, have each team play each other once, because then everyone would realize how good it is and never want to go back? No, probably just because of the contract they’ve signed with media partners to promise 198 games.

What a joke. This is just like the LNP budget surplus!

I'm still having a hard time trying to wrap my head around COVID-19 and how this is going to play out. Surely there is zero chance we'll have a season this year. Other sports are completely shutting down and we're already closing AFL games to crowds when only 250 of almost 25,000,000 Australian's have gotten the virus. Surely this is only going to get worse and there is no chance this just "blows over" in a few months?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I can't watch this. It has no soul.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

At least when Richmond win another flag it'll always have an asterisk

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

i just want milk that tastes like real milk

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Spedman posted:

Need to get VFL WAFL SANFL commenters in who are used to calling games with no crowds

No we just need Coronavirus to gently caress OFF

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

If AFL gets completely canned this year, Round 1 2021 should see be return of rivalry round.

Thurs: Carlton v Collingwood

Fri: Essendon v Richmond

Sat arvo: St Kilda v Melbourne (Saints vs Demons, battle at the pearly gates)
Sat arvo: Brisbane v Gold Coast
Sat night: West Coast v Fremantle
Sat night: Hawks v Geelong

Sunday arvo: Sydney v GWS
Sunday arvo: WB v North (sorry this one is kinda boring)
Sunday 6pm start: Adelaide v Port

Surely that would absolutely smash single-round attendance figures?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-...laide-c-1032526

quote:

Plans to see AFL’s return could be under threat as South Australian health authorities slam the brakes on interstate travel exemptions.

In an email between itself and the AFL, seen by 7NEWS, SA Health has ruled out any changes to the state’s current 14-day quarantine requirement for those crossing the borders.

Without an exemption, visiting teams would be required to stay locked up for a fortnight before they play.

Vicbias

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Richmond never led in the game, but they didn't lose. Surely that is fairly rare? You would think most draws would have lead changes.

Also Collingwood got robbed because that ball was so far over the line. How the hell do they not get it right.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Carlton look like they didn't go back to training the last few weeks. Witches hats stuff at the moment.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Now Melbourne have decided that one quarter of footy was enough.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Nathan Jones dropped.

Kinda feel for the bloke. Needed 16 games to reach 300, missed round 1 with injury, then Coronavirus shortened the season, now out of the side...

Would be a better end to a sad career if he could get to 300 this year then retire.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

realbez posted:

McKenna has admitted to purposely breaching COVID isolation protocols

Should be a $1600 fine from Victoria, plus a decent fine and a ban from the AFL?

In other news... Adelaide??

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

They should let people fly to Perth and be put in a special section of the stands with other quarantiners. Call it "The Colony".

Also Melbourne played WC in Round 1 so I assume we can't be a team to fly there.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Lol so that WA quarantine thing sounds like a good opportunity to send Melbourne and Essendon over to make up their game, except Melbourne and Essendon both played the Perth teams in round 1.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

McCluggage 1.5, Neale 0.6 :wtc:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Dangerfield is a bit of a flopping dickhead on the field, I feel like his reputation would be so much better if he was just a no fuss player.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Games decided by 1, 2, 3 and 4 points. Weird.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

SA borders are closed to Victoria until July 20th. Both Adelaide teams will have played both Perth teams and both Queensland teams by the 12th, but Victorian teams are also banned from Queensland. So the games running 16th - 19th July will need to be NSW vs the QLD hub teams? Or maybe they just need to bye that week until poo poo can be figured out.

Victoria will probably be in full lockdown within a few days anyway to whatever.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

So apparently if you grab the ball and immediately get tackled, but don't put enough effort into your fake punches at the ball to get it out, it's holding the ball.

Even when there is no chance to get it out.

Absolute loving joke.

I hate the people in charge of this game, they change rules and it's costs teams goals for one week, then the umpires will just flip back to the way they were before.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/ho16kn/joel_selwood_going_high_with_intent_then_going/

Pretty embarrassing. I made a comment here recently about Dangerfield's flopping damaging his reputation a bit it's the same for Selwood.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Goodwin should be on watch to get sacked but there is no way we could afford it.

I want Ross Lyon.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne has been completely hosed over in this fixture. We have a game in all four weeks, and each game requires travelling to a different state.

Essendon, the only other team playing four games, doesn't leave Queensland.

Pretty much every other team sets up in a hub, or has a bye week before they travel.

I get that it can't be easy to do a fixture with current circumstances but loving hell. Fingers crossed the Tassie government doesn't approve it so we can stay in Queensland for that game.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Collingwood have lost 28 percentage right now, West Coast have gained 15.

Makes the top 10~ teams very even.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The early and long contract extension given to Simon Goodwin always had a lot of risk. I don't think we can afford to fire him, but there is a lot to suggest that he isn't a great coach.

I don't want to just roll through coaches every 2-3 years, but also want to avoid an Alan Richardson situation where we hang on too long.

Ross Lyon is seemingly available, refreshed and willing to coach again...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Start a go fund me to sack Goodwin. Or consider these two years a write off and do whatever is necessary to get Clarkson given their contracts end at the same time

(@thedeebrief)

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

thepokey posted:

gently caress this umpiring. What the gently caress was that free kick against McGrath? It’s been shocking all night but that was just a loving howler.

The timing of the awful umpiring could not be worse. I'm already fairly disengaged from this dumb season, the quality of the umpiring is making it worse. Especially when teams are gifted goals in games that are relatively low scoring. Starts to become like bad penalties given in soccer.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Retire Tex after his 200th.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Adelaide really should give Jordon Butts a game because they're very stinky

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The AFL really is in a bad state.

Low scoring, poor rule changes, horrible umpiring, players diving...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Tom McDonald back...

...to replace Gawn in the ruck against Goldstein lol

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Surely Neale can't lose the Brownlow from here. The only games he might not have polled in are the losses, for most of the wins he would be 2 or 3 votes. Brisbane doesn't have many players that would steal votes either.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDqHwbflGOC/?igshid=11v1hu2ujt7rr

Thanks for ruining the game

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Honestly if they are that worried about keeping the game free flowing then just revert back on all of the dumb rule/judgement changes and instead just reduce teams to 16 players.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I almost can't watch this dumb sport anymore, the umpiring standard is completing ruining the game.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Jackson looks good for his age though.

He has that Grundy-like mobility, actually even better I'd say. We drafted him saying he could play as a midfielder and at times it looks true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

The excrement that is poor umpiring in 2020 really is contagious though. It’s getting worse and worse and transmitting to more and more umpires.

:chanpop: