Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Bola isn't playing guitar, but he's drat good at the two string lute and his singing is incredibly energetic.

From awesome tapes from Africa:
He is a singer and instrumentalist from Bolgatanga, Ghana who has been putting out tape after tape of ridiculously energetic and thoughtful songs for the last few years. I almost died when I heard this Volume 7 tape for the first time. Bola’s intense Frafra-language vocals, along with his shredding kologo—a two-stringed lute—boosted by bass-heavy, angular keyboard melodies and dance floor-ready drums. I am fascinated by Bola’s take on a traditional instrument and musical style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF-3zlHcQZc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Double posting to add something in a completely different direction than Bola

Mouhamodou Lo and His Childrenby theWau Wau Collectif of Senegal, as released by Sahel Sounds

Throwback sounds to an older style of songwriting mixed with what comes across as outsider folk as heard through a dream
The video is also really phenomenal for HD images of farming and animal husbandry, dedicated to the peasants for all their hard work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bH_Z_8xsw

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

PTSDeedly Do posted:

this rocks

Are the drums programmed??

Yup!

Awesome Tapes from Africa posted:

Volume 7, which came out in 2009, is just one entry in a brilliant series of recordings Bola has released on CD and cassette. Although he employs a traditional instrument and the age-old mode of griot story-telling, Bola embraces elements of up-to-the-minute mainstream Ghanaian music—drum machines, synths, bone-shaking bass. Inspired by pioneering kologo greats like King Ayisoba, Bola has taken a dynamic instrument used by traditional healers and herbalists to sing to god in search of advice and taken it to futuristic heights.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Pondex posted:

This just came up in my youtube-recs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGBR0Lh5JY

Doesn't seem to fit the thread theme, unless I'm missing something this is a world-jazz band from Boston.