Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Escobarbarian posted:

Here is everything you can do with Carrington, I don’t know how much of it you need to do to unlock the final act though cos I had it all done already:

• ⁠In Act I, go back to Equus Oils before heading to Elkhorn Mine. That’s where you talk to him for the first time.
• ⁠In Act II, return to the Bureau of Reclaimed Spaces before you visit the Self-Storage. There, you can suggest one of three locations to him.
• ⁠In Act III, visit the location you recommended to him in Act II.

There's one other thing after all of this: in Act 4, when you have a choice between leaving the boat to make a phone call or staying with the dogs, leave for the phone.

BUT I think you only need do to the thing in Act 1 for it to unlock? Everything else is just following up.

e: about the act 1 thing you can do it after the mine, but the point of no return is when you go back to the marquez house

SimonChris posted:

I could have sworn I did all those things already, but I think I might have lost my save somewhere along the way.

Well, I was planning to replay the whole game from scratch anyway, so I guess I will make it there eventually.

What is the intermission like?

To be very vague: it is based on Death of the Hired Man by Robert Frost, but not in the way you will think it will be.

Flac fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Flac posted:

BUT I think you only need do to the thing in Act 1 for it to unlock? Everything else is just following up.

That's what I did, but it didn't unlock.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

SimonChris posted:

That's what I did, but it didn't unlock.

My only reference for this is the Polygon article after all, hmm. I assume you're playing on PC? One thing you could try, if your file still shows Act 5 as complete: find the KentuckyRouteZero folder in your documents folder, look for the krz file that corresponds to your current save (going from left to right on the file select screen, it will be titled either save.krz, save-1.krz, or save-2.krz), then change these variables to the true setting, like below:

<variable name="met-carrington" value="true" />
<variable name="met-carrington-and-then-left-gas-station" value="true" />

Then see if it works?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm really confused about the interlude between Act 2 and 3 and then Act 3

The interlude makes it seem that what you are witnessing is a stage play. But then in Act 3 you actually go to that tavern and meet some of the characters that were in that play.

So was that a play or or actual real (game) life?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

The interlude makes it seem that what you are witnessing is a stage play. But then in Act 3 you actually go to that tavern and meet some of the characters that were in that play.

Yes.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

theblackw0lf posted:

Also, Lula and Carrington are part of the crew you can see behind you and mentioned in the directions or articles.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Pretty sure you can see the Ramblers in the seats too lol

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

theblackw0lf posted:

well, All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances but mostly And one man in his time plays many parts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Welcome to magical realism.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More than once I've reached the end of a segment and the related trophy didn't pop (Act 2-3 interlude, Act 3). Does this mean I missed something important?

Also I really wanted to fully explore the Here and There Along the Echo voice menu, but I got stuck in one option that didn't seem like it was ever going to return to interactivity and the interlude ended when I hung up to restart :mad:

vvvvvvvvvv I would believe it was deliberate, it was a menu item that introduced itself as something like "here are some of the insects you may encounter" and then played a recording of insect noises for what felt like several minutes. At least I got all the way through the "are you holding a snake" sequence which was a hoot and a half.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 30, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The former thing is a bug, I believe. Not sure about the latter. It definitely used to have a section before where you got to say if you wanted to go or not.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah I've never had the game stop while being called, unless I paused and exited myself.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, whenever you hang up you get a dialog box that'll allow you to leave or stay, even in the latest version.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chev posted:

Yeah, whenever you hang up you get a dialog box that'll allow you to leave or stay, even in the latest version.

That's not what happened to me- the moment the phone touched the cradle a conversation started between several characters and at the end the interlude ended and I returned to the main menu and got the trophy. I'll definitely try again to see if this is consistent (on PS4).

vvvvv OK, yeah, that makes sense.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 30, 2020

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

That's what they meant I think. It's a conversation between the Ramblers about where to get something to eat, and then you answer as Emily right? If you choose a place, you exit the game, but you can decide to stay and keep going with the phone.

That's the first time you hang up anyway. Once you hang up again after that, it's more clearly a "We done here?" type choice.

Flac fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 30, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
am i the only one who reads junebug and johnny as a transgender couple?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

luxury handset posted:

I seem to recall that they talk once about swapping parts with each other (which they can do, since they are robots), so I think that's canon

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some good articles on Act V:

https://www.wired.com/story/kentucky-route-zero-5/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bvgjma/kentucky-route-zero-pays-off-on-nine-years-of-hope-and-doubt-review

and interviews with the team:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/28/21112356/kentucky-route-zero-act-v-interview-cardboard-computer-xbox-ps4-switch

https://www.polygon.com/features/2020/1/28/21111029/cardboard-computer-kentucky-route-zero-seven-years

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/kentucky-route-zeros-creators-at-the-end-of-the-road-it-feels-like-we-made-10-games

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The best article on KR0:

https://twitter.com/Kawaiikochans/status/1223001101072588806

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, I really should have started over instead of picking up my old from late in act 4. I barely remembered who anyone was and kept thinking "wow scene 1 seems really long, they must have put a lot of work into V since it took so long to make. I can't wait to see the rest of it and see Conway again." Whoops.

I'm sure it's fantastic played all together though. Great game, I wish there were a hundred more like it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 31, 2020

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

luxury handset posted:

Well, I just found out Ben Babbitt is the singing voice for Junebug just with heavy voice modulation so that reading seems extremely apt to me.

edit: Finished Act V last night, I was surprised at... like all of it. The length, the main character, the climax... And yet, it completely fits. I think there's almost no part of KR0 I would have asked for ahead of time, and yet all of it feels essential and beautiful and dizzying and perfect. What a game!

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Wondering what is a favorite moment in this game, interludes included, for others who've gone through it?

A more subtle one I loved is in Act 2, visiting the church in the storage unit. Before that scene, I was playing the game with getting Conway to the doctor in mind, because hey his leg's broken, we should get it looked at and fixed. Then there was that scene where it fades to black and you choose to either hear the sermon about the Haymarket Affair or making small talk with Brandon; I did a little of both, and it sorta made connections between Brandon talking about things being unsure why he's maintaining the church when noone's coming, all while this intense prerecorded monologue about work and protest is playing (with this song in the background, similar to the one you can hear on the grand organ in the Bureau but more claustrophobic, more overwhelmed than overwhelming). Afterwards Conway's blackout happens, and he flashes back to the mine. When Shannon asked about my leg in Act 1, after the tunnel collapses, I think I was honest about it, saying my leg's messed up and it hurts and all that. When you get the chance to "redo" your choices, I took this as a moment of regret that I didn't lie, thinking back what Brandon says about going to the doctor being expensive, so when Shannon asks how your leg is again, I instead said "I'm fine". I began to see Conway's unrushed-ness in a new light, and it changed the idea around visiting the doctor for the rest of the act.

I always think about this as one of the most vivid examples of how this game got me to think in the perspective of the characters, not just on the individual level of making choices based on what feels emotionally right to them over any effect it would have, but how it connects with the associations you can make from the world itself. Things like the 1-2 punch of going from the hollow bureaucracy of a church converted to an office building to the cramped, nearly-forgotten storage cubby serving as a space in dedication to working class martyrs that the janitor takes care of for some mysterious reason really got its claws in me as this back-of-my-mind, anxious feeling of something wrong I couldn't quite place, informing how I played as these characters without ever directly telling me how they ought to feel.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I think a lot of people will say Too Late To Love You in Act 3 is like the pinnacle of the game, and it's certainly stuck with me for obvious reasons.

There are a couple moments that maybe aren't the highlight of the game but for some reason the imagery sticks with me:

Act I - When you see the two guys pushing the broken plane slowly across the screen. I always wait and watch it all the way through. I don't even know what it means, but something about this feels voyeuristic, like I'm peeping on something secret and private and maybe shameful.

Act IV - When you go mushroom picking on the little island, after awhile an abandoned barge full of cats yowling crosses the foreground. Something about it is so haunting to me, Lynchian and disturbing and interesting and sad and maybe a little hopeful?

KR0 is full of things happening behind you, near you, or around you that feel weighty and important to someone else's story. People just trying to get by, life just grinding onwards.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Act IV, Dogs on the ship

The Entertainment, turning around at the end

Un Pueblo de Nada, everything that happens when you move the mouse around

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The preacher doing the homily recording in Act II 100% has a Benoit Blanc voice

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would also go with the Lower Depths performance.

I kinda want to say the entire Xanadu text adventure/management game sequence but it's extremely long so maybe just the very end when it converges with reality.

mary had a little clam posted:

Act IV - When you go mushroom picking on the little island, after awhile an abandoned barge full of cats yowling crosses the foreground. Something about it is so haunting to me, Lynchian and disturbing and interesting and sad and maybe a little hopeful?

That is the Iron Pariah and you can learn more about it in the Act 3-4 interlude.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Had images of the Lower Depths bit in mind before I started playing and thought it would ruin the surprise, but it did not measure up to actually playing it. It's so, so amazing.

mary had a little clam posted:

I think a lot of people will say Too Late To Love You in Act 3 is like the pinnacle of the game, and it's certainly stuck with me for obvious reasons.

There are a couple moments that maybe aren't the highlight of the game but for some reason the imagery sticks with me:

Act I - When you see the two guys pushing the broken plane slowly across the screen. I always wait and watch it all the way through. I don't even know what it means, but something about this feels voyeuristic, like I'm peeping on something secret and private and maybe shameful.

KR0 is full of things happening behind you, near you, or around you that feel weighty and important to someone else's story. People just trying to get by, life just grinding onwards.

For the Act I thing, I always thought that every patched version being named after aircraft—Caudron Luciole, Douglas Dolphin, the latest being Eastman Sea Rover, etc—might be related to that. They show up in a trailer for Act 4 too. I saw it as a "we're still working at it" kinda statement, at least partially.

And for the Act IV thing, I think Jake from Cardboard Computer once mentioned an earlier vision for Act IV in which it takes place almost ENTIRELY on that barge, and characters would interact with the cats directly and learn about where they came from. But its role was downplayed in the final release. Hearing that back then I couldn't imagine why they would've thought to go in that direction, but with Act V in mind it makes a little more sense.

haveblue posted:

I kinda want to say the entire Xanadu text adventure/management game sequence but it's extremely long so maybe just the very end when it converges with reality.

I think my favorite aspect of it is in relation to the other 2 artists' versions of what their relationship to each other was, and what it says about them: Donald being ambitious yet emotionally overwrought about it with Xanadu, Joseph thinking of it as history to bury and leave to rot in the museum's archive in Act I, Lula making it this unsubtle """secret""" anybody could find in the Nam June Paik CYOA in Limits and Demonstrations, as if grumbling about it for others to see.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I'm not entirely sure why, but playing this reminds me of reading Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
*listening to the Bedquilt Ramblers songs from the soundtrack for the 100th time* this better not awaken anything in me

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I've never heard or read anything about this game before.
Just finished downloading, I absolutely have to play it right now.
Thanks for this!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Un Pueblo de Nada, everything that happens when you move the mouse around

Having finished the game that's probably my favorite of the interludes. The way it just builds up a tension you can feel without much actually happening except the power drop leading to what happens at the end

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played through that with the video version cued up on another monitor while keeping things in sync, it was great

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Does something like The Rum Colony exist in real life?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

Does something like The Rum Colony exist in real life?

tiki bars are everywhere

subterranean tiki bars which evade predatory billing practices due to being technically owned by the dead, less so

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I was thinking more about the subterranean part, the latter part isn’t important

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

iam8bit just revealed the artwork and contents for the physical games and soundtracks they're releasing for KY0. Guessed it right that the mystery LP is the Junebug album they had teased a while back, which will be available digitally at some point in the future. Also preordering ends on May 1st and the items will ship in "early Q3 2020", so this will be your last chance to get it!

The PS4/Switch versions come with this really gorgeous map of the [foggy text]Zero[/foggy text], which will be the gatefold of the double LP soundtrack.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Now that's just beautiful. Nothing like a nice video game map to keep me satisfied.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

This reminds me that someone made maps specifically to help find locations along the Zero in Acts 2 and 3: https://babblingfishes.tumblr.com/post/190116785623/navigational-map-for-route-zero-many-hours-of. The Zero is a really difficult thing to map in general and I'm kinda amazed at how elegant the official version is, even if it doesn't tell you where stuff is.

Flac fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 21, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ymgve posted:

I was thinking more about the subterranean part, the latter part isn’t important

There are basement tiki bars all over major cities but I don’t think there are any in caves large enough to contain beaches and trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Long time no posts but the Junebug album is up for digital preorder on Bandcamp: https://junebug.bandcamp.com/album/too-late-to-love-you Coming October 2.

*looks at the years this was recorded* hahahahah