Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
This is my favorite game ever, the one that showed me that games/interactive fiction are the most mysterious and compelling medium there is. It's a bittersweet feeling that it's gonna be over, because as infamous as KY0 was as this example of the pitfalls of the episodic model (and waiting has not been painless obviously), keeping track of the long development cycle has honestly added a lot to the experience for me. It's a slow-paced game about feeling lost and forgetting that plays into the long wait time in some ways, and following the project's ARGesque side content and announcements as they came has kept me so involved, just to see what kind of crazy thing the devs will do next. Very few games announcements have matched the excitement I had for hearing Act V's release date announced and NONE of them measure up to the fact that I heard it by waiting for a countdown from a telephone messaging system. I don't know what to be excited for once there's no more of this game left to anticipate, but I am happy to be playing the ending soon.

e: worth mentioning its 30% on steam and itch.io for the next 24 hrs, if anyone hasn't got it yet and is curious abt it

Flac fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

It coming simultaneously to consoles has definitely helped bring it into new conversations too, have a few friends who are gonna check this out because it's coming to Switch.

Lots of people are replaying to prep for it, but something to be said for just going in with my old save I haven't touched since 2016. Hoping to see how certain choices I made back then are reflected in Act V.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Less than one hour for EST time...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was gonna say that it feels like thinking that things will be extremely reactive is setting yourself up for disappointment based on how most choices are about reflecting on the characters rather than shaping outcomes... but I was looking at some synopses earlier and it turns out I completely missed a recurring NPC that appears in multiple acts because I didn't meet him the first time lol

It's not so much to see what will be affected in Act V, but if certain decisions I made based on how I thought of the characters will be recalled. I don't remember every instance of what I did back in 2016, but as silly as it sounds, I'd like to see if I'll be reminded of how I thought about things back then through this game.

Flac fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 28, 2020

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

About Act 5: There was definitely a general trend since Act 4 (even 3) towards being a story about many people over just Conway with some side stories from his friends, but I'm still surprised by how radical of a step this act was. It feels practically self-contained, more like a continuation of Un Pueblo De Nada with guest appearances from the main game's crew. And it's hard to fully explain but the town reminds me alot of the Museum of Dwellings, which was this place where people uncomfortably lived in this simulacrum of a community (I think I remember it was built on top a town that got flooded too hmmm). I think the juxtaposition between the two is intentional, the museum being a sanitized, detached vision of a community while the town is more "authentic" I guess, one with history and struggle. I definitely have to replay this game from the top, still fixing my thoughts on it.

Also there's preorders for a lot of good stuff. Physical versions for Switch and PS4 and the soundtrack on vinyl, as well as for a mystery LP which I'm gonna guess and say it's that Junebug album that was teased way back.

Flac fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 29, 2020

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Cardboard Computer uploaded the stuff they made from the WEVP database, related to Un Pueblo de Nada, to Youtube. The evening broadcast that was linked in the OP is up, but so are the Aunt Connie PSAs which were a little more conspicuously hidden, despite providing some pretty important context. Here's the first one of the 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftUqPQIw0z4

I'm...kinda tempted to collect info and links for all the meta stuff the devs did related to the interludes and beyond into one post, because it is loving wild how much stuff CC has done for the game OUTSIDE of the game, easily missable due to the years of production and out-of-the-wayness of it all. But it fits with KY0 as a game having so many variables and events that are practically designed to not be noticed, I suppose.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Here is everything you can do with Carrington, I don’t know how much of it you need to do to unlock the final act though cos I had it all done already:

• ⁠In Act I, go back to Equus Oils before heading to Elkhorn Mine. That’s where you talk to him for the first time.
• ⁠In Act II, return to the Bureau of Reclaimed Spaces before you visit the Self-Storage. There, you can suggest one of three locations to him.
• ⁠In Act III, visit the location you recommended to him in Act II.

There's one other thing after all of this: in Act 4, when you have a choice between leaving the boat to make a phone call or staying with the dogs, leave for the phone.

BUT I think you only need do to the thing in Act 1 for it to unlock? Everything else is just following up.

e: about the act 1 thing you can do it after the mine, but the point of no return is when you go back to the marquez house

SimonChris posted:

I could have sworn I did all those things already, but I think I might have lost my save somewhere along the way.

Well, I was planning to replay the whole game from scratch anyway, so I guess I will make it there eventually.

What is the intermission like?

To be very vague: it is based on Death of the Hired Man by Robert Frost, but not in the way you will think it will be.

Flac fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 29, 2020

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

SimonChris posted:

That's what I did, but it didn't unlock.

My only reference for this is the Polygon article after all, hmm. I assume you're playing on PC? One thing you could try, if your file still shows Act 5 as complete: find the KentuckyRouteZero folder in your documents folder, look for the krz file that corresponds to your current save (going from left to right on the file select screen, it will be titled either save.krz, save-1.krz, or save-2.krz), then change these variables to the true setting, like below:

<variable name="met-carrington" value="true" />
<variable name="met-carrington-and-then-left-gas-station" value="true" />

Then see if it works?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Pretty sure you can see the Ramblers in the seats too lol

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah I've never had the game stop while being called, unless I paused and exited myself.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

That's what they meant I think. It's a conversation between the Ramblers about where to get something to eat, and then you answer as Emily right? If you choose a place, you exit the game, but you can decide to stay and keep going with the phone.

That's the first time you hang up anyway. Once you hang up again after that, it's more clearly a "We done here?" type choice.

Flac fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 30, 2020

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Wondering what is a favorite moment in this game, interludes included, for others who've gone through it?

A more subtle one I loved is in Act 2, visiting the church in the storage unit. Before that scene, I was playing the game with getting Conway to the doctor in mind, because hey his leg's broken, we should get it looked at and fixed. Then there was that scene where it fades to black and you choose to either hear the sermon about the Haymarket Affair or making small talk with Brandon; I did a little of both, and it sorta made connections between Brandon talking about things being unsure why he's maintaining the church when noone's coming, all while this intense prerecorded monologue about work and protest is playing (with this song in the background, similar to the one you can hear on the grand organ in the Bureau but more claustrophobic, more overwhelmed than overwhelming). Afterwards Conway's blackout happens, and he flashes back to the mine. When Shannon asked about my leg in Act 1, after the tunnel collapses, I think I was honest about it, saying my leg's messed up and it hurts and all that. When you get the chance to "redo" your choices, I took this as a moment of regret that I didn't lie, thinking back what Brandon says about going to the doctor being expensive, so when Shannon asks how your leg is again, I instead said "I'm fine". I began to see Conway's unrushed-ness in a new light, and it changed the idea around visiting the doctor for the rest of the act.

I always think about this as one of the most vivid examples of how this game got me to think in the perspective of the characters, not just on the individual level of making choices based on what feels emotionally right to them over any effect it would have, but how it connects with the associations you can make from the world itself. Things like the 1-2 punch of going from the hollow bureaucracy of a church converted to an office building to the cramped, nearly-forgotten storage cubby serving as a space in dedication to working class martyrs that the janitor takes care of for some mysterious reason really got its claws in me as this back-of-my-mind, anxious feeling of something wrong I couldn't quite place, informing how I played as these characters without ever directly telling me how they ought to feel.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Had images of the Lower Depths bit in mind before I started playing and thought it would ruin the surprise, but it did not measure up to actually playing it. It's so, so amazing.

mary had a little clam posted:

I think a lot of people will say Too Late To Love You in Act 3 is like the pinnacle of the game, and it's certainly stuck with me for obvious reasons.

There are a couple moments that maybe aren't the highlight of the game but for some reason the imagery sticks with me:

Act I - When you see the two guys pushing the broken plane slowly across the screen. I always wait and watch it all the way through. I don't even know what it means, but something about this feels voyeuristic, like I'm peeping on something secret and private and maybe shameful.

Act IV - When you go mushroom picking on the little island, after awhile an abandoned barge full of cats yowling crosses the foreground. Something about it is so haunting to me, Lynchian and disturbing and interesting and sad and maybe a little hopeful?

KR0 is full of things happening behind you, near you, or around you that feel weighty and important to someone else's story. People just trying to get by, life just grinding onwards.

For the Act I thing, I always thought that every patched version being named after aircraft—Caudron Luciole, Douglas Dolphin, the latest being Eastman Sea Rover, etc—might be related to that. They show up in a trailer for Act 4 too. I saw it as a "we're still working at it" kinda statement, at least partially.

And for the Act IV thing, I think Jake from Cardboard Computer once mentioned an earlier vision for Act IV in which it takes place almost ENTIRELY on that barge, and characters would interact with the cats directly and learn about where they came from. But its role was downplayed in the final release. Hearing that back then I couldn't imagine why they would've thought to go in that direction, but with Act V in mind it makes a little more sense.

haveblue posted:

I kinda want to say the entire Xanadu text adventure/management game sequence but it's extremely long so maybe just the very end when it converges with reality.

I think my favorite aspect of it is in relation to the other 2 artists' versions of what their relationship to each other was, and what it says about them: Donald being ambitious yet emotionally overwrought about it with Xanadu, Joseph thinking of it as history to bury and leave to rot in the museum's archive in Act I, Lula making it this unsubtle """secret""" anybody could find in the Nam June Paik CYOA in Limits and Demonstrations, as if grumbling about it for others to see.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

iam8bit just revealed the artwork and contents for the physical games and soundtracks they're releasing for KY0. Guessed it right that the mystery LP is the Junebug album they had teased a while back, which will be available digitally at some point in the future. Also preordering ends on May 1st and the items will ship in "early Q3 2020", so this will be your last chance to get it!

The PS4/Switch versions come with this really gorgeous map of the [foggy text]Zero[/foggy text], which will be the gatefold of the double LP soundtrack.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

This reminds me that someone made maps specifically to help find locations along the Zero in Acts 2 and 3: https://babblingfishes.tumblr.com/post/190116785623/navigational-map-for-route-zero-many-hours-of. The Zero is a really difficult thing to map in general and I'm kinda amazed at how elegant the official version is, even if it doesn't tell you where stuff is.

Flac fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Long time no posts but the Junebug album is up for digital preorder on Bandcamp: https://junebug.bandcamp.com/album/too-late-to-love-you Coming October 2.

*looks at the years this was recorded* hahahahah