Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

What has the response to Anonymous;Code been like for people who have played it in Japanese?

Also was I hallucinating some news from a while back about the company who makes those games closing shop or going bankrupt or something? Is this the last Science Adventure game?

Regardless, it's kinda sad that higher-budget VNs don't seem to have a big audience. I feel like there used to be more of them.

Mages was reported to be insolvent around the end of last year, which is probably why they've released almost nothing this year, but they still seem to be around and holding on to Steins Gate for dear life.

They recently announced yet another Corpse Party 2.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm most interested in the translation quality for Anonymous;Code. Their last few releases have been pretty bad...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

But you're explicitly told that the red text is deliberately used in misleading ways, and it's still technically true - Shanon and Kanon are separate servants with their own schedules.

No they aren't, I do two different things at my job with different schedules and paid by different people and I'm still one employee.

It's not misleading, it's just outright false.

Also, after promising he wouldn't make up medical crap for this one, leaning on battler acquiring some specific form of brain damage previously unknown to medicine that has extremely specific symptoms feels like another cheat.

There are other structural things that were disappointing, which partially can be ascribed to the novel going on way longer than it should have. One was that dramatic beats make promises that often don't pay off. For instance, battler making a big speech about how he was going todrown beatrice in a sea of blue text, and then not following up on it (if anything it felt like he speculated less after that point).

Someone else mentioned how much characterizarion chaned between routes, and having more routes made it worse; after a while rather than make me feel like I was seeing new sides of characters, instead it made me give progressively fewer shits about each character since what had been read about them previously felt like it mattered less and less. Introducing new wackier characters towards the end might have trying to establish clear character voices after the rest of the cast had largely lost theirs, but felt more like late stage homestuck stalling introducing increasingly bizarre alternate trolls and expecting anyone to give a crap (in both cases though apparently part of the goal for these characters was to take swipes at the fanbase? Obviously in the last part the battle against the army of goatman came across as some dumb fanficcy 'my OC charatcers beat all the haters', and obviously was a reaction to the fandom in the same way terminal-stage homestuck introduced characters representing the fans as collectives)

A shorter and more heavily edited (and importantly, nonserialized) mystery probably could have tightened things up, and wouldn't have had the final summation end up sounding like a qanon post about Hilary. (The interplay with the imageboard fans probably didn't help cut down on unneeded convolution either.)

Overall though it way overstayed its welcome for me, like a long rambling joke with a mumbled punchline that just isn't funny.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 2, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's not "outright false"; it's a semantic/perspective trick and one that is very strongly hinted at (if not outright explained?) at multiple points. At certain points they specifically draw a distinction between stuff like that and "the number of humans on the island" (which actually does consider Kanon/Shannon to be one human). It's been many years since I discussed this a lot more so my memory isn't as clear, but in the end there was just one logical thing that is truly questionable in terms of whether it makes sense - the thing with Erika in the parlor where both Shanon and Kanon are seemingly there in episode 5. And this still technically makes sense due to some perspective thing - IIRC it's related to Battler not being the "detective" for that "game" - but IMO it's a bit too mean/misleading.

But more importantly, there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here about many elements of the story and characters. Like the part where you're mad about Battler not drowning Beatrice in "blue text" speculation - the reason behind stuff like this is very simple. Battler is not making a full and earnest effort to "win" (and neither is Beatrice). The reason he constantly rants about how he won't forgive Beatrice and is going to expose her (etc) is because he is conflicted about the whole situation and trying to rile himself up. And similarly (and even more obviously) Beatrice is not making an earnest effort to defeat Battler. This is made about as obvious as possible at the end of Episode 3, when Beatrice suddenly bails before "winning." It's always very funny to me when people think that the episode of Episode 4 is supposed to be read as "an enraged Battler going all-out against Beatrice."

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Tunicate posted:

A shorter and more heavily edited (and importantly, nonserialized) mystery probably could have tightened things up, and wouldn't have had the final summation end up sounding like a qanon post about Hilary.

Probably one of my favorite posts about Umineko yet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's not "outright false"; it's a semantic/perspective trick

[/quote]
It is a "semantic trick" in that if you replace words in the statement with different ones, it means something different.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It is a "semantic trick" in that if you replace words in the statement with different ones, it means something different.

Now that's some loveless behavior right there. No wonder it can't be seen.
(joking)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think I need to reread Umineko

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umineko is so good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lets hang out posted:

Mages was reported to be insolvent around the end of last year, which is probably why they've released almost nothing this year, but they still seem to be around and holding on to Steins Gate for dear life.

They recently announced yet another Corpse Party 2.

They called the third Corpse Party 2 Corpse Party 2

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm most interested in the translation quality for Anonymous;Code. Their last few releases have been pretty bad...

I think at this point, they just rely on Committee of Zero to fix their poo poo. They don't even bother to implement mouse support for their PC ports. (although they also just could not care.)

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I checked to see if the Committe is planning anything with Anonymous Code, and it seems like they've gone poof... Haven't posted anything since February.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

(Umineko spoilers)

There's no universal law that one person can't "count" as two servants if they're employed under different names and recognized as other people as being separate individuals (and all the people actually being "served" by Shannon/Kanon recognize them as separate people, except for maybe Kinzo before he died - I forget if he's supposed to be aware that Kanon and Shannon are the same person, though I think he only ever interacts with Kanon in this way). You can certainly argue that it's misleading and a trick, but it's not "factually untrue."

If it helps, you can think of it as "characters in a play" (this is part of why everything is framed as a game with "pieces" etc). That's why there's a distinction drawn between stuff like that and talk of the actual number of "humans" on the island. In the "play/game" that is the stories in the various episodes, Shannon/Kanon exist as separate characters/servants who are "played by the same actor."

(And all of this is still secondary to the fact that you're not supposed to be logic-ing out the solution using red text. The most meaningful information tends to exist in the "magic" scenes even though they aren't literally occurring, because those scenes are usually still representative of real things - like the Beatrice vs Shannon/Kanon fights in Episode 2 representing internal conflict.)

One thing more indirectly related to this is that I think the Shannon/Kanon stuff was a lot clearer in the original VNs. In the original art it's far more obvious that they could be the same person (they basically have the same face, but with different hair), and there's also no voice-acting to further confuse the reader (not that the voice acting in Umineko isn't generally great, but it does make it at least somewhat harder to recognize what's going on with Shannon/Kanon).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anonymous;Code has been out for about... forty-five minutes on Steam, and I'm impressed with the effort put into it from what I've seen thus far. Even besides all the base work they put into giving it a full dub, the onscreen popups have all been fully translated and even the text below the logo on the title screen makes sense instead of being garbled nonsense English like in all the other (unpatched) SciAdv games. I also heard elsewhere that the translator did consult with the Committee of Zero for some of the terminology so maybe it'll even hold up once it gets more self-referential later, I dunno.

e: main complaint so far is honestly just that while there is baked-in controller support, there's no way to check the controller bindings in the Help screen. I'm fine with that though because for once, the game's "fullscreen" actually seems to be Borderless Windowed, which is good because it means I can click off the screen onto my second monitor while letting the text autoplay.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 8, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Arist posted:

Anonymous;Code has been out for about... forty-five minutes on Steam, and I'm impressed with the effort put into it from what I've seen thus far. Even besides all the base work they put into giving it a full dub, the onscreen popups have all been fully translated and even the text below the logo on the title screen makes sense instead of being garbled nonsense English like in all the other (unpatched) SciAdv games. I also heard elsewhere that the translator did consult with the Committee of Zero for some of the terminology so maybe it'll even hold up once it gets more self-referential later, I dunno.

e: main complaint so far is honestly just that while there is baked-in controller support, there's no way to check the controller bindings in the Help screen. I'm fine with that though because for once, the game's "fullscreen" actually seems to be Borderless Windowed, which is good because it means I can click off the screen onto my second monitor while letting the text autoplay.

Does it actually have mouse support?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Does it actually have mouse support?

Yes. The menus are all clickable, and there are some controls for stuff like the auto mode and backlog that you can click to turn on at any time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Arist posted:

Yes. The menus are all clickable, and there are some controls for stuff like the auto mode and backlog that you can click to turn on at any time.

I'm glad that mages has finally decided to start doing the bare minimum for PC ports.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've played Anonymous;Code for around 5-6 hours. I'm enjoying it so far, though with the way these games work a lot will depend on how its various mysteries are resolved.

I'm kinda mixed on its main mechanic. It's neat in theory, and I like how Pollon's response to you attempting to Load (which I'm capitalizing to make it clear I'm referring to the mechanic) varies depending on the circumstances - if you try to Load at a "wrong" point Pollon will reject it, and how he does so depends on what's happening. But I find myself getting confused over the fact that my game Saves and auto-saves exist separately. Like if I want to go back to a point and try Loading, I've been confused a few times whether the Save (or auto-save) I'm returning to is after a previous Load. And Pollon's Saves exist during the game's timeline, so if you load into an earlier autosave they won't exist. So the game gets the player directly involved with its core mechanic, but only sometimes, with the auto-saves basically being "normal" saves, as opposed to the Saves that exist within the story and are used by Pollon. But you can also create story Saves yourself (though it's clear that you created them instead of Pollon), and I think they maybe don't even stick around if you load an earlier auto-save? It's a bit confusing to me, but maybe I'm just dumb. I think it would have been easier to understand if the game straight-up gave you some sort of branching "timeline" UI where you could select where you wanted to go, instead of having to look through auto-saves and hope you're choosing one that isn't on a failed branch or something.

One other issue (that is probably a bigger one since I imagine I'll be able to wrap my head around the stuff above eventually) is that it can be a pain getting back to a specific point where you want to try Loading. In a game like Steins;Gate you can just skip all dialogue until you get to the text message prompts (or in other VNs just normal dialogue prompts). But in this if you skip it'll just keep zooming along until it reaches the "end" (which is presumably whatever bad end you reach if you don't Load correctly). So I'm left button mashing through the dialogue and hoping I don't gently caress up and skip past the line where I want to try Loading (in which case I think I'm hosed and have to load the Save/auto-save again, since I don't think I can go backwards). I understand that the game doesn't want to just directly reveal the "decision points" to the player via the skip function, but as is it can get a little tedious when you're searching for the correct decision point. I was confused for a while during one of the Chapter 3 decision points where Juno shows up and places you in front of the train. The game obviously expects you to load there, which I did, and it leads to a bad end where you die and it gives you a message that's something like "you need to avoid running into Juno." This makes me think that I need to load some earlier point and do something completely different that doesn't involve going to that guy's apartment. But it turns out you're supposed to just not load at all when she throws you in front of the train, and Momo will push you out of the way and save you. IIRC you then get a later obvious prompt to Load. The bad ending text was misleading! It makes you think that you need to go back and do something differently as the player.

If there's a way around this that makes it easier to "fast-forward" to decision points, someone let me know.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I didn't realize we had a new one of these out so I went out to find the steam page and, uh

Wow how descriptive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MiddleOne posted:

I didn't realize we had a new one of these out so I went out to find the steam page and, uh

Wow how descriptive.

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

100% accurate

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So is this Anonymous;Code a sequel to something or it's own separate thing?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Same universe as all the others in the science adventue series, but its own story. I expect it'll probably have a few shared things as the other games, particularly the main antagonist, but can be read as its own thing

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

It's at minimum some kind of sequel to Steins;Gate, but it doesn't really seem that important to the story as a whole so far where I am.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So I'm not that far into the game, but I think its going to turn out to be all taking place in GAIA or some other earth simulator, which explains how it can be hacked. The mystery hacker is going to be Pollon himself or his dad. Momo might not actually exist in reality.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I'm at act 4 and the game is absolutely rocketing past the endgame twists of other Chunsoft titles.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finished Anonymous;Code. While I love its characters and would definitely recommend it I feel like it suffers from not putting enough time into its central gimmick. It reminds me a recent other horror VN in that its central gimmick you being an otherwordly spectator guiding the protagonist gets underutilized despite being core to the experience. Right as it picks up steam it's already over because the story is simply out of characters and out of plot and is now in a hurry to get done.

It needed more weird bad ends and more moments when the protagonist absolutely breaks entire scenarios.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

which horror vn?

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Sounds like Paranormasight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was thinking it was actually nirvanA Initiative, lmao

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Enemabag Jones posted:

Sounds like Paranormasight.

There's the name I couldn't remember.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it could apply to a whole bunch of Chunsoft games and a lot of more recent ones by the authors who used to write them (Uchikoshi and Nakazawa)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I liked the one optional bad end early into Anonymous;Code where Pollon loads before the plane even took off to try and address that situation, and it doesn't work partly because it fucks him up a bunch (since you learn that the save/load system causes increasing strain if you use it to go too far back in "time").

I kinda feel like that (or something similar) shouldn't have been optional, because it answers an important question that the reader would otherwise have - why Pollon doesn't just load a really long time before something bad happens, since normally you'd think that having more time would definitely be better and it wouldn't make sense to just go 15 minutes back when trying to solve some urgent problem.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ANOTHER CODE IS BACK BABY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6i9BGlGQyU

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Full Metal Daemon Muramasa was a mix of pretty good and pretty atrocious, huh. I wonder if they designed the game that way on purpose to kinda-sorta fit the narrative theme

Like the comedy parts were 90% just not that funny and really poorly timed in the script. A few jokes out of a hundred made me smile but it was mostly just weird and unnecessary.

The trolling-the-player parts were dumb and overdone. Although admittedly if it was 2009 (the year of original release) when trolling was the epitome of comedy worldwide, I guess I'd have given them a pass though

On the other hand the serious and melodramatic parts were great. Swordfighting was great.

The politics parts were actually decent, like all parties' motives were considered, and actual explanations given for things like why GHQ members are behaving a certain way etc.

Although the plot was padded with some dumb poo poo, I was glad each respective route tied most things up in a satisfying way. One or two characters didn't really get a resolution like the crossdressing shogun's son, but maybe in the sequels?

I'll admit I was glad to hear there is more, apparently it's a trilogy, and the later entries are better according to some people

Whoa I am looking forward to this

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The original illustrator is doing the art design for the remake, and also did the cover, which is gorgeous

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/1702333379927253414?s=20

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

The original illustrator is doing the art design for the remake, and also did the cover, which is gorgeous

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/1702333379927253414?s=20

This is amazing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I never played 2 but the first one was the game I bought with my DS and even though I finished it that night, I liked it a lot, so I'm glad it's coming back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The second one was pretty much more of the same but with Wii gimmicks instead of DS ones lol very low key/stakes again but a bit longer I think. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I helped translate a VN for Dreamcast and there’s a patch out now, if anyone here likes that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB6oLyMEk94

I finally got past the drat wikipedia mini-game lol

This Nakoruru VN is warm and fuzzy but with some worrying undertones and foreshadowing :ohdear: (I don't know the backstory)

I got stuck for a while because of the minigame that says "be wise and do your research if you don't know the answer" meaning literally look up real-life trivia answers on wikipedia or the guide by the translator, but having no Internet at the time and I wanted to be wise dammit