Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm gonna play Yu NO on my Nintendo Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The go getters theme is incredible, actually

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Uhh the bit where Yuri stabs herself to death in front of you and then you sit with her over the weekend as her corpse rots is much worse actually from a shock point

I don't think anything in the game is intentionally exploitative but boy it does have Very Uncomfortable Scenes

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 28, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The curly haired girl looks like a cat but I bet she's not actually a cat :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

i don't think you're dumb. it's pretty wild.

as i understand it (FULL rear end ENTIRE SPOILERS PLAY THE GAME OR READ THE LP) there definitely is a "real" set of events which happened (notice how this already sounds ridiculous to say when talking about a fictional story): eva solves the riddle of the treasure while battler is killing everyone else, but the island blows up because of the perhaps-understandable suicidal-homicidal impulse of a young servant (way too long pf a story to get into) with only eva surviving, but actually battler survives too with enough TBI that he's basically a different person. because no one knows he survived, an explosion destroyed all evidence, and eva refusing to say what happened (probably out of bitterness that ange is suspicious that she killed or knows who killed battler when really it was the other way around, and also maybe to spare her happy memories of her brother, more on which in my conclusion), no one knows what really happened on the island. then the next level: the stories which are "actual" published books by a mysterious author who is actually the person caring for "battler" and building on his fragmented memories, telling detailed "possible" explanations of what happened, except they involve witches and magic and furniture and all. then theres the third level where characters which are allegorical to the dilemma of the readers and ange struggle to determine the "truth" of what happened, driven by many different contradictory impulses and lines of thought, including the desire to think it's possible that people who have died are happy, somewhere, basically to remember them kindly, to have a wish that there could be a redemption of the pain they suffered and caused. oh, i think also at some point ange actually does find "Beatrice's" diary on the island, before she finds battler where hes been partially recovering and tries to free them both from the metaphorical ghosts haunting them. in a mystery novel, you're challenged to imagine an explanation of the crime which doesn't require "magic," but maybe sometimes it's a deserved kindness not to tear away that illusion.

i liked it! i never really tried to figure it out by myself, i just read the LP like a book. i think it makes quite a meal out of its concept.

I understand why you did, but it's kinda funny summarizing the technical main character of the series as "a story way too long to get in to"

Also maybe a typo on your end, but Battler didnt kill anybody

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There is a definitive answer, and it's in the manga for people that didn't figure it out in the game (where it is very obtuse and obscured)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

RE: Very very postgame Umineko spoiler stuff:

I don't think Sayo Yasuda would have ever have killed any of her family members, she doesn't seem to actually have the heart (or "evil", if you will) to do it. Which is fair, fantasizing and writing stories is a far safer way to channel your self-hatred and generalized hatred of your mostly awful family

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

I think one of the weaknesses in the story is that this isn't that true (or at least not well supported) for a lot of the less central characters and early plots. A bunch of the mystery stuff needs people to be acting in ways that are physically possible, but they never really do otherwise.

To pick on Episode 1 as an example:

- The mechanics of the rest of the story basically requires that in Ep 1, Eva and Hideyoshi are conspirators for the initial round of planned murders, coverup, and lying convincingly directly to the kids whose parents they've just killed. There's not really a lot of later characterization to support that, it seems much more like a Kyrie/Rudolf personality kind of thing. When we see murdery Eva in Ep 3, she's initially impulsive, conflicted, and generally a mess. (Hideyoshi is more in-character, if you take his Ep 3 behavior as him being fully aware of Eva killing instead of him choosing to have faith in his wife despite the evidence.)

- Then the plan to deal with Kanon/Shannon duality is Hideyoshi telling everyone "Shannon's body is just around this corner out of sight. Nobody else come over and look at it, it's too horrible". That makes sense for Sayo, who is fine if they get caught, but it doesn't make sense for cold-blooded, murder-for-money Eva & Hideyoshi, who very much don't want to be found out.

- Finally, Eva & Hideyoshi go off and isolate themselves, despite the murder conspiracy (whose motives they presumably don't understand) still being around. They leave George behind with the other murderers though

Isn't it the case that in most of the scenarios

Sayo lies and says they're doing a pretend murder mystery to welcome Battler back to the island?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

The original illustrator is doing the art design for the remake, and also did the cover, which is gorgeous

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/1702333379927253414?s=20

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Namtab posted:

It's good so far, but would benefit from not showing me extended map/door cutscenes

yeah that poo poo is crazy, it's been a complaint since the original release in 2012 and it has never been changed

maybe its not an easy change but it never stops forcing you to watch it even on further playthroughs