Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry, double post, but questions for Umineko people: after the Chapter 2 Tea Room, how the hell is Beatrice redeemable in anyway? I see a lot of people talk about how Beatrice is the best and such a great character, and I'm gonna say that, generally speaking, I don't think there's a way to redeem "person who tried to feed a mother their own daughter".

Just going to file in here that in the Studio Deen anime adaptiation they animated this scene. :captainpop:

Also keep going.

EDIT: Right I just finished 428 Shibuya Scramble and how I have never heard of this before. I guess it's another casualty of the PSP, but how did it never come up when people were hyping 999 back in the day. Has an absolute banger of a theme too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKQIRaAsFMw

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dmboogie posted:

it was Japan-only until it got localized in 2018 is how

game fuckin rules though yeah

Man where are fan-patches when you need them.

It is fantastic. The premise is you time-skip between a group of five extreme weirdos and try to keep them alive and well throughout a kidnapping turned terrorist plot. Make the wrong decisions and things go all fate/stay night on you (there are so many bad ends, other Chunsoft games aren't even close).

It is so creative with its use of photo and video too. Real gem.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 18, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Just finished Umineko episode 3 last night. GODDAMN that was good. My only hope is that we start to focus more on the meta-world rather than the piece-world next episode, because I am getting tired of each episode starting with the same thing more or less. It'll suck to go from that energy back to another slow start.

This train doesn't slow down. From this point it's acceleration all the way to the end.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doki Doki is real short so you might as well run it to the end if you've already gotten this long.

Also,

Gaius Marius posted:

Play umineko instead

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did you watch both endings?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

- Just how many "games" were played in there? Was the first game the one in chapter 1 when Battler is promoted and pulled into the meta-narrative? Everything has a vibe of having gone on for Higurashi lengths of time for Beatrice, but I don't know if that's just a feeling or something I misread.

Umineko ending spoilers

The talk of infinite games is in my opinion made clear in chapter 7 when it's revealed that the golden witch is a made-up construct created by Yasu. There are only 5 games played by "Beatrice the Golden Witch", the first being the real world-incident as shown by Bern (siblings solving the epitath and killing each other) which leads to Eva escaping, Yasu comitting suicide by drowning, Battler losing his identity trying to save her and everyone else being already dead.

The four remaining message-in-a-bottle games are all taking place in the cat-box between dead Yasu and Battlers lost identity until meta-Beatrice simply gives up, having failed completely to get what she wants through any of the stories penned by her and thrown in the ocean. Just like the game in real-life, it failed to bring her any resolution.

The rest are arguably real-world Battler trying to make sense of his lost identity by helping penn all these alternative stories from his scattered memories. By chapter 6 meta-Battler finally realizes the truth and him and Yasu rest in peace, having re-united in death through living on in the stories.

Berns game in chapter 8 is made up by Bern to mess with Ange, If Bern accepts it she gives up on her dreams of re-uniting with her brother. If Bern rejects it then a miracle happens, real world Battler leaves enough crumbs for Ange to find him. It's then stated again that meta-Battler really is dead just like Yasu, which is why they both live on but only in the stories.

Oh, and stories are as real or fake as we want and believe them to be. They can be changed into anything according to our whim and through them anything is possible. Ergo, stories are magic.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 4, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Namtab posted:

I’m playing 13 sentinels and I’ve reached the point where things are starting to come together.

Overall it’s been about a 7/10 experience so far, it’s interesting but a bit clunky. There’s a lot of repetition even for a time travel narrative, and they’ve locked one of the draws of the experience (robot fighting) behind needing to complete a hefty chunk of narrative.

I think one of the weaknesses of 13 sentinels is that it genuinely is just too long. It's fantastic, but there's just not enough variety for the length.

Arist posted:

I finished Chaos;Head tonight

How does one play Chaos;Head these days? Remember trying to get it more than a decade ago and just giving up mid-setup at some point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I didn't realize we had a new one of these out so I went out to find the steam page and, uh

Wow how descriptive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So is this Anonymous;Code a sequel to something or it's own separate thing?

It's at minimum some kind of sequel to Steins;Gate, but it doesn't really seem that important to the story as a whole so far where I am.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I'm at act 4 and the game is absolutely rocketing past the endgame twists of other Chunsoft titles.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finished Anonymous;Code. While I love its characters and would definitely recommend it I feel like it suffers from not putting enough time into its central gimmick. It reminds me a recent other horror VN in that its central gimmick you being an otherwordly spectator guiding the protagonist gets underutilized despite being core to the experience. Right as it picks up steam it's already over because the story is simply out of characters and out of plot and is now in a hurry to get done.

It needed more weird bad ends and more moments when the protagonist absolutely breaks entire scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Enemabag Jones posted:

Sounds like Paranormasight.

There's the name I couldn't remember.