Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished Chaos;Head tonight, I had been considering waiting for the fan translation of the updated version to come out but I eventually gave up on that because I was mainly playing C;H in the first place because I wanted to get to Robotics;Notes and I read I should play this one first (I already played Steins.Gate a few years back). Ultimately, I thought it was... fine. A rather uneven experience with some parts I actually liked a lot. My main problem, other than how long it takes for the story to really come together, is just how gratuitous and overbearing the descriptions of gore were, holy poo poo. The scenes with Sena's mom and the description of the brain murder, in particular, made me kind of want to vomit.

I was considering going back through and getting the B ending but upon hearing that it's a bad ending route that probably contains yet more gore I doubt I'll bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was playing a translation patch of the PC version of the original. However, Spike Chunsoft has since announced a Switch port of NOAH (the remake which originally came out for phones) later this year with a translation included.

e: anyway, I've since moved on to Robotics;Notes. This chapter structure is... uh... something, all right.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished Robotics;Notes today. Normally I blitz through VNs, but R;N was a bit of a slower burn for me. I think a lot of that is probably due to how long it takes not just for it to get crazy, but even just for it to pick up, period. Chaos;Head was something of a slow build with ever-present insanity, and Steins;Gate used a relatively uneventful first half to seed a ton of payoffs when the poo poo hit the fan at the halfway mark. Robotics;Notes takes a different tack, in that... it's honestly not that dense with stuff happening until the back third (and mostly just the last two chapters, even then). I don't want to call it "plodding," but it's certainly pretty slow. If it wasn't for the Kimijima Report hunting, which honestly feels more like a subplot for a long time, it'd just be lazy days hanging with the characters, mostly. And I liked the characters in the end, even if Frau's whole deal got more than a bit grating and even Junna herself didn't seem to know what she was doing in the story for a long-rear end time.

Once poo poo did pop off in the last few chapters, though, I rushed through to the end in a day or so. There's some dumb and contrived parts, and a lot of the villain's various machinations seem to almost make anti-sense if you actually stop to consider them at all (and considering the way they frame that villain, it's not even totally clear if their actions are supposed to make sense), but that's not really something that bothered me. The emotional payoffs near the end relating to the Robotics;Club coming back together and finding acceptance really, really got me, which is the important part.
All in all, I liked it more than Chaos;Head and a little less than Steins;Gate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have not played Chaos;Child yet, but I bought it forever ago. I'll probably do that one, then R;N DaSH. Might take a break for a while though before that, at least until I finish the sequel to AI: The Somnium Files when that releases.

e: already played S;G0, as well.

Arist fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 19, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

As a recent R;N reader these were my thoughts in the other thread

My memory of the Robotics;Notes anime was that while it was worse than S;G it was still decent enough when all was said and done. Finishing the VN if anything lowered my overall opinion and I left it absolutely disappointed.

The pacing is honestly kind of insane where a good 75% of the VN is spent on the SOL Robotics club nonsense with what feels like only token overtures of the larger real story, and this has the effect of kind of ruining both sides of it. Anything with the club feels undercut when it's set aside for what "really" matters and the actual serious story segments never feel earned because they show up too infrequently that it never feels like a cohesive part of the story. If anything I bet this felt better in the anime because the shorter runtime and more condensed story meant you were probably bouncing back and forth between those two poles more reliably. Further, Kaito being the only POV for actually further said main story is such a bad choice given the type of listless, unmotivated dullard so he never has anything actually interesting to contribute to the conspiracy theorizing or SciAdv lore. This could have easily been remedied if like S;G the entire cast was involved but weirdly having it all pigeon holed into just him makes it so much less fun than it was in the other games.

Then the finale hits and due to all of the weird pacing from before it has to sprint to the finish in a way that isn't going to satisfy anyone. Doesn't even have an epilogue or anything which boy it needed so it really has a "The End, No Moral" vibe of all things which just tonally is awkward as hell.

I can't disagree with any of this, honestly, even if my feelings were more positive. Kaito isn't a terribly engaging protagonist because of his active disinterest in the ongoing story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

psychoJ posted:

going through Chaos Head Noah and... does Takumi ever become anything more than incredibly pathetic later on? like does he develop a single positive character trait, ever.

Honestly, kind of a hard question to answer. (Minor spoilers, nothing specific) I played the original version, not Noah, but the story is kind of about him (very) slowly breaking out of that shitheaded mindset. And, semi-realistically, going through that process doesn't magically make him "good." He's still kind of a shithead by the end, but he's undeniably in a better place to grow from. That said, I would say that by about the halfway mark he shows that he is willing to risk himself for others. I'd say part of the point of the character is to make him so incredibly and consistently pathetic that it makes his heroic moments legitimately impressive and not a given.

So, short answer: yes, with an asterisk that he's still going to suck as a person.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just finished the common route of Chaos;Child. I liked it far more than Chaos;Head, even though parts of it can be best described as "emotional terrorism."

I was a little worried when the first fifteen minutes contained the Don’t Look murder, but thankfully that’s about the worst it ever got in terms of descriptions of gore, at least in terms of stuff on par with Chaos;Head. It's definitely hosed me up more emotionally, but I'm still grateful it's got less of the sheer gross-out factor. Several points throughout where my stomach just sank like a rock. Like, the moment the story suddenly kicked into high gear was the Itou “reveal”, which I hated in the moment (and felt slight relief over when it wasn’t his fault) because I had started warming up to Itou as one of the better guy friend characters in this series. I thought I’d have that same reaction with the reveals of the ultimate masterminds, but by that point I was so emotionally exhausted that it honestly worked? Like, the VN had battered my critical impulses into submission through sheer emotional trauma, which sounds like a criticism but I don't mean it that way at all. Part of that, though, is that the game let me figure out both of those reveals myself several scenes in advance so I had more time to sit with them beforehand. Also, I kept thinking Kawahara was gonna be evil over the Senri thing, but I kept overlooking that Senri was an in-universe fakeout, so I kept getting blindsided, lol. At the moment where Takuru lists the three final suspects on the board and it became clear who the culprit was, I couldn't believe it. I had actually been wondering why that character was so front and center, even though they didn’t have much of a dynamic with Takuru or much story focus at all, but it still hit me completely by surprise.

I'll definitely go do the other routes now that they're unlocked, but how vital are the bad endings?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finally, after about six months and like fifty-seven hours, got through Chaos;Child. I did the common route in like a week and a half and took long breaks between all the alternate chapters.

The true end justified itself decently in the end but it still didn't feel super necessary. Even so, one of the better entries in the series. Liked it a hell of a lot more than Chaos;Head, that's for drat sure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think I'm going to finish Robotics;Notes DaSH before Anonymous;Code comes out in a week. I might just save it for after I finish the latter, because I'm not really enjoying it so far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anonymous;Code has been out for about... forty-five minutes on Steam, and I'm impressed with the effort put into it from what I've seen thus far. Even besides all the base work they put into giving it a full dub, the onscreen popups have all been fully translated and even the text below the logo on the title screen makes sense instead of being garbled nonsense English like in all the other (unpatched) SciAdv games. I also heard elsewhere that the translator did consult with the Committee of Zero for some of the terminology so maybe it'll even hold up once it gets more self-referential later, I dunno.

e: main complaint so far is honestly just that while there is baked-in controller support, there's no way to check the controller bindings in the Help screen. I'm fine with that though because for once, the game's "fullscreen" actually seems to be Borderless Windowed, which is good because it means I can click off the screen onto my second monitor while letting the text autoplay.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 8, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Does it actually have mouse support?

Yes. The menus are all clickable, and there are some controls for stuff like the auto mode and backlog that you can click to turn on at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was thinking it was actually nirvanA Initiative, lmao