Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The real cause of death is heavy metal exposure. An unnaturally large amount of heavy metals were present on the island, with smaller exposures resulting in erratic behavior and larger amounts proving fatal.

The symptoms displayed are consistent with tetraethyllead exposure.

Pictured: Kinzo, a man who looked normal, burst out in insane fury, and apparently was the type of guy who would randomly jump out windows.

More than that, TEL has a very specific symptom which was present on the island. It causes hallucinations. And what kind?

Well, because of what the workers were seeing, the factory that made it got nicknamed the house of butterflies.

Ryukishi did it again, this was another actually-a-medical-mystery story like Higurashi, just with a real poison instead of a conveniently fictional parasite.

But if you have to blame someone, they had to get lead exposure somehow, so it's that one minor guy with a portrait who shows up early on, seems unimportant, but turns out to be the true killer.
Boat Captain Kawabata

(The rest of the wacky stuff in the story, like there being secret child-raping tunnels under the mansion or fake deaths from crisis actors is all speculation from the in-universe q-anon chan board 'witch hunter', and can be safely disregarded)

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

kinzo could get lead poisoning from all that alchemy, but i don't know who else would have been affected by it

Everyone had provable levels of lead poisoning back then, but also they start the VN cruising around in a small private plane which is using leaded avgas. The killer shows up in the first act hohohoho.

But yeah the red text statement early on that there are exactly five servants ruins the intended puzzle for me. Any attempt to weasel or rationalize out of it ends up being so contrived that you can knock out any other part of the story with the same level of bs and the whole thing collapses

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 29, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

But you're explicitly told that the red text is deliberately used in misleading ways, and it's still technically true - Shanon and Kanon are separate servants with their own schedules.

No they aren't, I do two different things at my job with different schedules and paid by different people and I'm still one employee.

It's not misleading, it's just outright false.

Also, after promising he wouldn't make up medical crap for this one, leaning on battler acquiring some specific form of brain damage previously unknown to medicine that has extremely specific symptoms feels like another cheat.

There are other structural things that were disappointing, which partially can be ascribed to the novel going on way longer than it should have. One was that dramatic beats make promises that often don't pay off. For instance, battler making a big speech about how he was going todrown beatrice in a sea of blue text, and then not following up on it (if anything it felt like he speculated less after that point).

Someone else mentioned how much characterizarion chaned between routes, and having more routes made it worse; after a while rather than make me feel like I was seeing new sides of characters, instead it made me give progressively fewer shits about each character since what had been read about them previously felt like it mattered less and less. Introducing new wackier characters towards the end might have trying to establish clear character voices after the rest of the cast had largely lost theirs, but felt more like late stage homestuck stalling introducing increasingly bizarre alternate trolls and expecting anyone to give a crap (in both cases though apparently part of the goal for these characters was to take swipes at the fanbase? Obviously in the last part the battle against the army of goatman came across as some dumb fanficcy 'my OC charatcers beat all the haters', and obviously was a reaction to the fandom in the same way terminal-stage homestuck introduced characters representing the fans as collectives)

A shorter and more heavily edited (and importantly, nonserialized) mystery probably could have tightened things up, and wouldn't have had the final summation end up sounding like a qanon post about Hilary. (The interplay with the imageboard fans probably didn't help cut down on unneeded convolution either.)

Overall though it way overstayed its welcome for me, like a long rambling joke with a mumbled punchline that just isn't funny.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 2, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's not "outright false"; it's a semantic/perspective trick

[/quote]
It is a "semantic trick" in that if you replace words in the statement with different ones, it means something different.