Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I remember laughing hysterically at the YOSHINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO joke which was enough for me to decide Rewrite was good. I'm never gonna re-read it though, it's insanely bloated and if I wanna remember it the anime is decent enough as a recap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I'm enjoying Raging Loop a lot so far, it's moving at a strong pace and I like sitting back with a controller. There's also a total of three jacked dudes which is great. Well, the protag has some muscles too, so I guess 3.5. I also appreciate that there aren't that many characters, at least at the start - makes the Harvest Moon-esque character conveyor belt go a little faster.

Ytlaya posted:

happened during one of the evolution cycles that kept getting re-done? That whole plot point, if I'm remembering it correctly, was strange because I'm pretty sure that the Earth literally isn't old enough to have multiple cycles of "humans evolving from scratch" (even if you assume things play out roughly the same each time for whatever reason).

That's what I understood, yeah. There's probably some explanation in the exposition somewhere, but around midway through the Terra route I remember pretty much checking out. It was a bold move to completely change the entire story and take all the heroines out, but it didn't work for me at all. Also, the way the text changed was annoying and kind of exhausting to read for a long time cause it dulled every color. That might have been the point, but imo there's a limit to trying to create that sort of synergy with the character and instead of making me feel ground down and depressed it made me bored and frustrated.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

e: Yomi route complete.

There's a lot to like about the game, I think. It misled me quite a bit, and I was certain that Takumi and Kiyonosuke were the wolves. Main thoughts so far are the hope that, despite the fact that it successfully tricked me, that that was the most standard route in the game. If things only escalate a little from there, I think I'll be a little disappointed. Other than that, it would have been nice if the lack of food was played up more. It would have been great if everyone started looking a little more sunken and malnourished, though the fact that they're all Yomibito might explain why they could all go without food for so long. It felt more like everyone chose not to eat rather than it being a survival situation, which I don't think is a mistake on the part of the writers. It's interesting and I don't really know where the game is headed.

I'm fairly optimistic. It hasn't lit my world on fire or really gotten my gears turning just yet, but it's set up an interesting mystery.

klapman fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 29, 2020

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Nope, after Yoshitsugu's death Kaori stops making food until she tries to poison everyone. I get the sense that she's the only one allowed to make food, so after her death nobody else steps up either. Chiemi mentions she's extremely hungry on the second to last night, but that she's stockpiling her own food just in case.

Also, the second route is doing exactly what I wanted, and giving the villagers a time to show their lighter sides. It's been very funny and Tae in particular is a much more fun character already. The impact of her showing up at like 3x size and screaming was enough to immediately make me like her. Fusaishi is also getting noticeably more insane which is fun. His whole interaction with Yoshitsugu about daring him to cut his finger off ruled lol

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I'm an absolute ace detective at figuring out who the wolves are in Raging Loop, and equally dire in actually doing anything with that information lmfao. I keep loving dying!!! The hint thing keeps going "ahh, that's the right move for playing Werewolf in real life, but in this situation it's not so good" and I've only ever played Werewolf like twice, it's just that my natural instincts seem to send me careening towards the nearest death!!!

I've never been more glad I'm not actually in a VN's situation lol

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
raging loop, post Wit route

Fusaishi has 500% lost his mind already lol, I really hope he's a Wolf in the next route. He's already discovered that winning the feast on the human side means nothing. I will say that I'm kinda disappointed that the game didn't go for a huge swerve, with Fusaishi living out his life with Rikako for 60 years or whatever and then being sent back to the beginning of the loop. It would have been a cool way to change him immensely.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
It is, it's not 100% fantastic and I got really annoyed when I died 3 times in a row, but it pulled me back in right away to the point where I was looking forward to playing more of it even while dreaming lol

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
more raging loop, Darkness route, end game theorizing that might turn out to be true and would almost certainly taint your thinking process regardless

Lmfao, when I saw that Fusaishi was going to trick Haru and Kaori, I assumed the writers were about to go kinda chickenshit and walk back how crazy Fusaishi had become by the end of the Wit route. That is not even remotely the case, this dude is 500000% a demon now and the true thing that the Feast is meant to kill. I honestly think the last route will be, in some way, the wolves and the townspeople banding against Fusaishi, the lone yomibito.

My alternate theory is something that I really, really loving hope it isn't, but has equal amounts of evidence pointing towards it. My greatest concern is that this is all a show done up by the head families of Kamifujiyoshi. It's been mentioned several times that they're far richer than any family in a rural area has the right to be, and Mamiya was talking about how the kanji for Ookami-sama and Shin'nai-sama have radicals that spell out "big" and "show". I really, really hope this isn't the end game twist. Actual supernatural stuff is always more interesting to me than the inevitable explanations.Oh, there's paths hidden beneath the village, and the mist comes from that fog machine that was mentioned as a possibility in the Yomi route, and the water they're spilling is a repellent to the actual wild dogs that the head families release every night in order to simulate the corruption.

There's so much evidence that points to this latter theory, especially the fact that the Nosato family is experienced in pharmaceuticals and could just drug and murder anyone who tries to escape Yasumizu. That would explain Fusaishi's lack of memory, they stalk any escapees until it's clear nobody's coming and that they're completely lost, and then hit them with chloroform or something.

As for the sleeping, that is one of the few reasons I still have hope that this isn't the case. I was initially thinking there might be something in the Yasumizu water supply and that's why the cleansing is required, some kind of contact poisoning that knocks people out, but that's so outlandish that if they were willing to use that I think they'd just go for a supernatural story anyways.

Considering that my initial worry that they weren't going to deliver on Fusaishi's insanity was immediately dispelled, I still have faith that they'll tell this story in an interesting way, even if it does end up being a non-supernatural solution. But I do hope that these are all red herrings.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

klapman posted:

more raging loop, Darkness route, end game theorizing that might turn out to be true and would almost certainly taint your thinking process regardless

Lmfao, when I saw that Fusaishi was going to trick Haru and Kaori, I assumed the writers were about to go kinda chickenshit and walk back how crazy Fusaishi had become by the end of the Wit route. That is not even remotely the case, this dude is 500000% a demon now and the true thing that the Feast is meant to kill. I honestly think the last route will be, in some way, the wolves and the townspeople banding against Fusaishi, the lone yomibito.

My alternate theory is something that I really, really loving hope it isn't, but has equal amounts of evidence pointing towards it. My greatest concern is that this is all a show done up by the head families of Kamifujiyoshi. It's been mentioned several times that they're far richer than any family in a rural area has the right to be, and Mamiya was talking about how the kanji for Ookami-sama and Shin'nai-sama have radicals that spell out "big" and "show". I really, really hope this isn't the end game twist. Actual supernatural stuff is always more interesting to me than the inevitable explanations.Oh, there's paths hidden beneath the village, and the mist comes from that fog machine that was mentioned as a possibility in the Yomi route, and the water they're spilling is a repellent to the actual wild dogs that the head families release every night in order to simulate the corruption.

There's so much evidence that points to this latter theory, especially the fact that the Nosato family is experienced in pharmaceuticals and could just drug and murder anyone who tries to escape Yasumizu. That would explain Fusaishi's lack of memory, they stalk any escapees until it's clear nobody's coming and that they're completely lost, and then hit them with chloroform or something.

As for the sleeping, that is one of the few reasons I still have hope that this isn't the case. I was initially thinking there might be something in the Yasumizu water supply and that's why the cleansing is required, some kind of contact poisoning that knocks people out, but that's so outlandish that if they were willing to use that I think they'd just go for a supernatural story anyways.

Considering that my initial worry that they weren't going to deliver on Fusaishi's insanity was immediately dispelled, I still have faith that they'll tell this story in an interesting way, even if it does end up being a non-supernatural solution. But I do hope that these are all red herrings.

:shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I need to go to bed

edit: Okay I can't go to bed what the gently caress was that? What? What the gently caress? I haven't been stunned into disbelief like this since Muv-Luv. It was so stunning I didn't even realize I was stunned. What the gently caress was that? What the gently caress? What am I even supposed to say? What the gently caress was that? What?

Lose all words.

I really want to see what happens if I go back. I won't, this time, but I really really really really want to. God I want to so bad.

klapman fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 1, 2020

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I've read a lot of thrillers and Raging Loop has surpassed my expectations, though I'm still not quite at the full end yet. I hope there's another route in here somewhere cause I don't want it to be over just yet lol

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
raging loop post darkness spoilers

First off, god loving drat I'm good lol, so much of my theorizing was spot on. I assumed from the gigantic loving monster that I was clearly wrong and it was only supernatural in nature, but now I don't know. Fusaishi seems to have come to some conclusion regarding God, but my theorizing on that front begins and ends at "he's just tripping balls". All the rationalist explanations have left me kind of at sea on the supernatural front, because it looks like almost the entirety of the feast is manmade. The fact that the girl at the inn Fusaishi wakes up in has the same voice as God wasn't lost on me, but at the same time why did Haru speak exactly like her if Haru never met her before?

Is God something that can alter itself within communication itself? I'm not sure what I typed there, but that's the impression I think I have right now. Haru said something, and Fusaishi heard something else, but God manipulated it so that it made sense to both parties? If that's possible, then what has everyone else been hearing this whole time? What if instead of God possessing people, God is only capable of distorting communication? After all, God says they're powerless, and defines powerlessness as being unable to benefit humanity. If they were capable of possession, they'd be able to take direct action and impact the world, thus making them capable of beneficial actions.

But if all they can do is distort communication between people, I think that would fall under that definition of powerlessness. You can't build healthy relationships based on distorted communication, so even attempts at causing good things would inevitably backfire in a way that would harm the very foundation of those relationships. Not only would it be impossible to create a positive environment, any action at all would end in far greater harm than good. If I consider the seemingly supernatural elements of the feast as God trying and failing the first few times to interfere, and only making it harsher and more brutal, I could see them being driven insane by their powerlessness and coming to hate themselves for it.

After all, in the song the Badger comes late, right? And God hates being called by that name. Maybe the Badger came so late that it couldn't help Shin'nai-san, and that reminds me that apparently Shin'nai-san was all broken up. Originally Shin'nai-san was a mother, a father, and a child, but God says that they got all smashed up and mixed together. The badger came late, with nare as a fix... I remember that the "shishi" in "shishinare" was random meat, meat from beasts in general, but I forget what the nare was. They had to ferment the meat, was "nare" fermentation then? Aaah, I don't remember what fermentation is very well exactly. Something to do with yeast, and I think you have to do it to make booze. It involves waiting, so...

Waiting would imply looping until it fully "ferments" and then the "shishi" (random, maybe cobbled together meat, meaning the disparate and cobbled together parts of Shin'nai-san) is now safe for consumption. However, that implies that the sheep is the Badger, not God. Mamiya makes a point of saying that religion is always influenced by politics and changes based on how things change, so...

That's the exact point where my brain has fried. I'll go back to playing the game now. This one's got me firing on all cylinders, though I have no idea if anything I've said is actually on the mark or not. This is a very fun game to speculate about.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Also just finished the True Ending of Raging Loop. I'm satisfied, I think. How the gently caress did they add even more to the game though lmfao come on jesus christ I looked through the scenario chart almost every chapter has a new scene in it!!!! Come on!!!!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Endorph posted:

There is also one plot point I'm kinda shaky on. In Darkness, why did Chiemi killing herself count as a kill for the wolves? It wasn't caused by them and they didn't lay a hand on her. I could see not wanting to risk it, like 'well she killed herself when we showed up, so maybe that counts as us doing it' but the characters just act like it obviously counts as their kill and literally everyone works off that assumption, even when the possibility is brought up in the feast. It's not a huge deal but it was the only time the logic of the game didn't click for me.

Now that you mention it, I don't get that either. Like, an explanation comes to mind that since it was a human that killed a human it can't count as "the corruption", but that takes some thought and so it wouldn't be the first thing that naturally comes to mind. Maybe that was the first sign that Fusaishi was getting hit with the God thoughts? Like his first thought was that they weren't allowed to kill anyone, and when he said it out loud everyone just went "ah, yes, sounds right". It's possible that Fusaishi's the one who brings up the idea of "that counted as the wolves' kill" in the feast, but I don't remember the micro-level lies very well.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Tonfa posted:

https://itch.io/s/29062/stayathomevnsale

1 day to grab five highly acclaimed Fruitbat Factory localized VNs for free

good looking out, been looking for seabed for a while

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Snooze Cruise posted:

chloe... chloe!11

(note you are allowed to empty quote for support of chloe ciconia)

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Gonna play Sakuranomori Dreamers today, the Moonstone moege/horror VN. I'm insanely excited, I've been hyped for this one for like 3 years now and then yesterday found out it's been translated for a month and a half lmao

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The ending as it stands was satisfying enough to me, and I haven't read any of the epilogue stories. I did go through Revelation mode, but that's more for fun side scenes and a few more character moments. It's probably the weakest part of the game but everything leading up to it was good enough for me to not worry about it too much. Besides, even in itself it's a good emotional conclusion to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Sakuranomori Dreamers was kind of a mess, in retrospect. Fun to go through as it's happening, but in retrospect they almost immediately get outright bored of their entire premise. They only really bother to do 2 actual nightmarish dream scenarios, then there's one that's just "oh now this character's a BDSM queen in her dream, that's it" and then they drop it entirely except for a brief 5 minute segment near the end. Instead of dreams the protagonist and antagonist both suddenly go Parasyte the Maxim and it's just really stupid and boring. The whole point of a premise where you invade the dreams of serial killers and fight them within those dreams is to lead up to the big cheese, the real hosed up motherfucker, the huge showdown, and instead you fight him in a parking garage like he's a Resident Evil boss.

I was looking forward to this game for years so I'm very disappointed.