Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

sweet fuse gives the protagonist a prompt to yell "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU" at the otome boys whenever they do a dumb otome boy thing so it owns imo

anyway the setup is superficially similar to danganronpa but the substance of the games are completely different, because sweet fuse is an otome game about dating hot older men (with some mystery and suspense elements) and danganronpa is an actual murder mystery death game

even with that in mind, sweet fuse wins because it has likable characters who all have a place in the story, and have actual arcs that aren't randomly cut off by them dying, and also danganronpa is many things (that i mostly enjoy) but 'sense making' is not one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i mean thats a solid concept but i dont think dr2 does that well at all, the endgame surviving cast is a handful of flat characters who've barely had any plot focus with the exception of fuyuhiko, but even his arc was super sabotaged by saionji dying where she did, and i guess akane technically had some development???

Dr Pepper posted:

For DR it helps keep up the tension of who might die next. If a character couldn't die until their narrative was all neatly wrapped up it would become predictable what would happen to them. "Oh hey this guy got over his issues guess he's the next victim"

yeah, but in a game like DR not everyone even has an arc. sure, it's surprising when a flat comedy character makes it out alive, and it's surprising when a character who could have had an interesting arc is tossed aside like garbage, but i don't think the games execute those concepts well at all. it's novel on a first playthrough but it weakens the actual quality of the writing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

lmao cmon man...

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

HE... IS ALL THAT REMAINS OF A ONCE POWERFUL NATION (SHOWTIME)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Steely Glint posted:

for one thing, why are Gonta's lines all Tarzan-like in the eng translation? His manner of speech seems perfectly normal to me

idk but it's a weird and bad localization choice, nisa's speciality

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: Right I just finished 428 Shibuya Scramble and how I have never heard of this before. I guess it's another casualty of the PSP, but how did it never come up when people were hyping 999 back in the day.

it was Japan-only until it got localized in 2018 is how

game fuckin rules though yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

really?! :monocle:

alright then huge grain of salt on everything else i said. it wasn't a typo, i must have misunderstood that part.

yeah, battler being a killer is just a mean trick used for the logic puzzle murder mystery in episode 8. If there IS a ‘true’ version of events, it’s probably closest to the EP7 tea party where the family winds up killing each other despite Beatrice surrendering… but, of course, the ‘truth’ ultimately doesn’t matter much in the end.