Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So what are some good VN's that couldn't be mentioned in the games forum? I know Kara No Shoujo 1 and 2 (mystery VNs) are really good, though they have ridiculous hentai scenes that seem out of place.

Sayo No Uta as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1302001933029343235?s=21

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I really do recommend reading the two additions that came out after. I think it caps off the series beautifully.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

What are the weirdest, most imaginative and creative visual novels you’ve ever seen?

I’m brainstorming ideas for a game mod I’m making, and part of it involves making a handful of small but creative and engaging VNs, or at least VN-like experiences you can accomplish with Renpy.

That got me thinking about what kind of cool poo poo you can pull off in a VN that isn’t just about clicking through text boxes and dialogue. Unfortunately, the extent of my VN experience amounts to Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, which aren’t all that creative or weird. And they’re certainly not transformative, game-like, or boundary-pushers.

But I know there’s good, cool, weird poo poo out there, even if it isn’t necessarily popular! I just need to find it. Any recommendations on that front?

Have you tried If Found yet? I wouldn’t say it’s one of the most creative I’ve ever seen but the way you interact with the story is really cool, and i loved the art and animation

https://youtu.be/q_Qs6CjGeQc

VVVVVVV yea that’s another I was thinking of

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 28, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Not a visual novel but you should really check out Paradise Killer if you’re looking for a murder mystery that you have to solve. One of the few murder mystery games where I really felt like I was solving the mystery myself instead of it being handed to me.

Also this VN isn’t on switch but if you haven’t checked out Kara No Shoujo and it’s sequel you definitely should, especially as you want a murder mystery that you have to solve yourself. Just be warned it has some really unfortunate hentai scenes. (Though I’d say they take up 10 minutes of a 30 hour game).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 10, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Muramasa is one of the highest rated games on VNDB and just got an English release through JAST

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Muramasa chapter 3 end spoilers: (regarding the mechanism that determines what routes you end up in. So spoiler warning if you still haven’t figured it out).

realizing that who you have the most affection for is who you kill was truly shocking. I sat there stunned as he killed Kanae at the end of the chapter. I’m sure some of you smarter realized what the affection meter meant sooner, but I unfortunately didn’t realize the consequences of my choices till then

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Did anyone play Hakuchuumu no Aojashin which came out last year? It’s supposed to be really good. The English version will be called Cyanotype Daydream and is being done by the same developers. I imagine it’s a few years away though. They’re also making it all ages as the developer is moving away from 18+ VNs.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Acerbatus posted:

I find it weird FMD muramasa decided one of the few cg sex scenes it should have is rape.

Weird as in its definitely framed like you're supposed to get off on it but that makes it kind of out of place.

I find that to be kinda common for nitro+ though.

Hmm I never got the feel you’re supposed to get off on it. I got the feeling it was supposed to disgust you and piss you off.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

If you’re looking for a subversive visual novel that goes to unexpectedly dark places read Totono: The Love Between You and Me and Her. It takes a while till the game shows it’s true colors, but man once it goes there it became one of the most memorable visual novel experiences I’ve had.

It helps to read it after you’ve got a couple VNs under your belt. Also there’s an all ages version but honestly I think this is a game that loses something if you don’t play the 18+ version, for reasons that would be spoilerish to say.

Doki Doki gets all the attention but Totono is far more fascinating in its subversion.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 28, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Cephas posted:

:T I don't think it's for me. Thanks for all the feedback yall. I think I'll just play Umineko or check out Totono instead.

Definitely play Umineko. It’s my second favorite visual novel ((House in Fata Morgana is number one so definitely play that if you haven’t).

Totono is a pretty unforgettable experience though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

How severe is the nastiness in Muramasa? I'm not exactly sensitive to scenes of sexual violence, but at the same time if it's treated like a major selling point with a lot of focus, I'd probably rather spend my time elsewhere

Like on a scale of Saya no Uta to Wolf Guy

There’s three scenes that have harsh sexual violence, and while they are very uncomfortable, it does serve a point to the overall narrative.

I question whether each scene needed a graphic. The words were sufficient. But thankfully there’s only those three scenes.

Sexual violence is not the point of the visual novel. It’s main point is a critique of war and violence in general.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 29, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Arist posted:

I finished Robotics;Notes today. Normally I blitz through VNs, but R;N was a bit of a slower burn for me. I think a lot of that is probably due to how long it takes not just for it to get crazy, but even just for it to pick up, period. Chaos;Head was something of a slow build with ever-present insanity, and Steins;Gate used a relatively uneventful first half to seed a ton of payoffs when the poo poo hit the fan at the halfway mark. Robotics;Notes takes a different tack, in that... it's honestly not that dense with stuff happening until the back third (and mostly just the last two chapters, even then). I don't want to call it "plodding," but it's certainly pretty slow. If it wasn't for the Kimijima Report hunting, which honestly feels more like a subplot for a long time, it'd just be lazy days hanging with the characters, mostly. And I liked the characters in the end, even if Frau's whole deal got more than a bit grating and even Junna herself didn't seem to know what she was doing in the story for a long-rear end time.

Once poo poo did pop off in the last few chapters, though, I rushed through to the end in a day or so. There's some dumb and contrived parts, and a lot of the villain's various machinations seem to almost make anti-sense if you actually stop to consider them at all (and considering the way they frame that villain, it's not even totally clear if their actions are supposed to make sense), but that's not really something that bothered me. The emotional payoffs near the end relating to the Robotics;Club coming back together and finding acceptance really, really got me, which is the important part.
All in all, I liked it more than Chaos;Head and a little less than Steins;Gate.

What about Chaos;Child? Where would it rank compared to that game? Assuming you played CC.

Also I’m into the second route in Rewrite+. Really fantastic game. Different than your usual Key game, and all the better for it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I found Chaos;Head more emotionally affecting with higher highs, but also lower lows. I did enjoy my time with Chaos;Child more though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/thewillarowe/status/1648704481003986946?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The original illustrator is doing the art design for the remake, and also did the cover, which is gorgeous

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/1702333379927253414?s=20