Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Kansas City Chiefs 65 0.71%
San Francisco 49ers 42 0.46%
Goku 9016 98.52%
Lamar is the MVP 28 0.31%
Total: 9151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
There's no bad guy in this one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Have it in Baltimore. Our winters are mild enough these days. I saw nine pine warblers and three palm warblers yesterday. Ridiculous!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Wouldnt the 49ers losing cheapen the Ravens victory over them?

A little but not completely. Not enough for me to latch onto. I like Andy Reid and want him to win a SB and also think Mahomes is good to deserve it. So they can win. But if the 49ers win then the Ravens win is improved. We can't lose.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Than You posted:

What is Baltimore's appeal other than seafood

What's New York or Minnesota's appeal?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

You already did.

We lost with a major silver lining.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Than You posted:

NYC smells like stale dog piss, and the people in Minnesota are passive-aggressively nice? idk

Yeah so if any of those can have it why not Baltimore. But it's probably more trouble than it's worth anyway.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ehud posted:

this is the first super bowl in a while where we were pretty confident no one is cheating

Mahomes is cheating. We just haven't figured out how yet. But he's gotta be cheating in some way.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can see either team blowing the other out.

Yeah I agree. It's a great matchup and I could see it being close or a blowout in either direction.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I predict 49ers will control the Super Bowl to their ultimate victory (though the Chiefs will make it a decent game to the end), then Mahomes and Reid will never get past the AFCCG again in their careers (though Mahomes will probably have another MVP season at some point).

Mahomes and the Chiefs will control the AFC for the foreseeable future.

I think a team like the Ravens can break past them every so often. But they are going to run things unless Mahomes falls off somehow. What he brings to the table is just too much. Like you look at how the Houston game started. Most teams are just not going to come back from the 24-0 deficit, let alone come back to win in a blowout. Very few in the NFL bring that ability to the table like Mahomes does. Even a lot of the best.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

19 years ago today the Ravens, led by QB Trent Dilfer, won the Superbowl against the New York Giants. It was our first ever SB win and to this day the Giants' only SB loss, and the only SB a New York team has ever lost in fact.

The defense pitched a shutout. The only points by the Giants were scored on Ron Dixon's kickoff return. Their other best chance at points ended with a Chris McAlister interception near the end of the first half. On a very very poor throw by Kerry Collins.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

The Bills are a New York team (the only one) and lost 4 in a row, post invalidated.

That is true. Well team with New York in the name then.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it just me or is basically no one in the media or really in the general NFL world giving the 49ers much of a chance? I know the Vegas line is almost a pick-em but if feels like everyone is just getting ready for the inevitable coronation of Pat Mahomes.

I'm surprised they're favored. They can win but I think the 49ers have such an insane overall team that it will overpower them. They haven't faced a team like the 49ers this year and I think it will be too much for even Mahomes at this point.

But I look at Mahomes and the Chiefs as being the AFC frontrunners for the foreseeable future. I just don't see them beating the 49ers.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Harbaugh doesn't deserve it. Even Lamar Jackson says he doesn't really do anything.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I give him credit for looking out for the best interests of his QB and creating an environment where he can succeed. But that's like the baseline of what a coach should be doing. People are overcrediting the coaches for what Lamar Jackson did this year. Not saying they weren't a help but he had some of the same effects on the team under Morninwheg as he did when Roman was in this year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The things we keep calling basic coaching escape so drat many NFL coaches

It does say something that a guy who just does the basics of what a head coach should do and offers little more probably is more deserving of the award than a lot of the rest of the coaches in the NFL.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I am grateful to Patrick Mahomes for murdering the Establish the Run era. 2020 is the year of FUNslinging!

Running would have had a better chance of beating him. I'm not sure why the 49ers didn't run more on their last offensive series. Teams are very foolish about how to use the clock to their advantage. The 49ers should know there that you need to score a TD and you want to score it LATE.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Scoring too early is very much a thing. Especially in a position like the 49ers were in and who they were up against. You cannot rush to score a TD there. Yes, it is imperative that you try to score as late as possible or make KC use their timeouts. Even if that means a slightly less chance you will score. You CANNOT trust defenses.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ehud posted:

lol

The Chiefs scored “too early” and left the 49ers like 3 minutes to win the game. Their defense came through just fine.

They weren't in a position to score that late and the 49ers were. I am talking from the position the 49ers were in when they had their last failed series. I realize it's not always possible to do that but when it is you have to try it especially when you are facing a QB who is currently eating you alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

take the points when they are there so you have time to score again if your defense lets one get by

They wouldn't have had time to score again if they had scored and the Chiefs had.