Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Kansas City Chiefs 65 0.71%
San Francisco 49ers 42 0.46%
Goku 9016 98.52%
Lamar is the MVP 28 0.31%
Total: 9151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

All foods with multiple ingredients are either a soup, a salad, or a sandwich.

Spaghetti is a very dry soup, for example.

Fried rice is a salad I've now decided, and I love salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

Did they bring Tony in for a layman's perspective?

Swing and a miss.

Chichevache posted:

If so, it's definitely a Meatlovers.

Swing and a miss.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CyberPingu posted:

9ers currently have the lead.

The Chiefs spotted 24 points to an equally bad team before blowing them out?

I will admit there is generally no running game argument for the Chiefs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CannonFodder posted:

Is there a famous Kansas City beer? When the 49ers were in the SB a few years ago I got Anchor Steam and then something from Baltimore to rep the Ravens.

Boulevard is probably the famousest of KC beers? I am not a beer expert.

e: pale ale is what I've most heard about but if No Butt Stuff wants to submit something go with his direction.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I never saw him play

I once randomly came across the 1981 playoff game in full and linked it to you!

This should make you put Kellen Winslow on your list instead of Fouts though. Looked it up again if you want to relive something you probably weren't alive for.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
These are always ridiculous and way too obviously wrong but we have nothing else to talk about so let's discuss:

https://twitter.com/TodayInSports3/status/1222554302029402112

I somehow doubt Louisiana is the hotbed of pork tenderloins.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I also wouldn't have guessed Arkansas to be the state specifically looking for beans in chili.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shinji2015 posted:

He somehow made it look worse for himself by talking.

Like, if you wanted to call and talk to him, you could have done it at any time!

If I had a super bowl wish beyond my team winning, it would be for Damien Williams to score like 4 TDs and be the MVP just to annoy Spoeank.

I see almost no way for this to actually happen both because Damien Williams and the 9ers D, but if it does I'll remind him about it for the rest of my life.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

Who on the Saints is helping? Is it their PR Department?

PR guided by ownership is the least :psyduck: interpretation but even that is pretty goddamned :psyduck:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1223272750518820864

I'm almost sure this will be me on Sunday. Pissed off but not surprised enough to lose it at how they play.

I would greatly enjoy being wrong.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I want to find and shake the hand of the person who came up with the idea of a snake taking a knee

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I don’t know about you Gritty but I am weirdly not nervous about the Super Bowl at all, especially compared to the other playoff games. Maybe because losing another AFCCG at home would have been catastrophic, or because losing to the Texans or Titans again would have sucked, who knows. Of course I will still be crushed if they lose Sunday

Not gonna lie I'm pretty terrified. It seems like they should be involved deep in the playoffs for the next decade but then I remember the story of Marino, so like, I really really want them to get this one so that's out of the way.

I suppose if I were a 49ers fan I might be scared in the other direction because it seems so hard to keep elite defenses rolling for multiple years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I remember that beer bread recipe was always a winner back when we had the super bowl food threads, but I do not remember the recipe.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

got any sevens posted:

Kobe threw balls in a hoop. There are plenty of other people who do that too. Is the media even bringing up his rape?

A Washington Post reporter got suspended for tweeting about it.

I guess she's reinstated now, but the knee jerk reaction was to suspend her.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A.o.D. posted:

Boy, if people are this mad about dissing Kobe for his failings, imagine how furious people are going to be when Jordan finally goes.

I remember when Wilt died I made a joke about the all the women he slept with thing and an older guy who'd lived through him playing chastised me for it.

People love their guys who throw balls through hoops.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 31, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

vanishing like AI

Iverson had some other problems that contributed to that. Which manages to make his career both more impressive and sadder.

I will agree that in a football focused forum 2 days before what should actually be an exciting super bowl based on the matchup and that it's not the Pats the fact that we're spending this much time talking about the NBA is probably not a good thing for the NFL.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DeimosRising posted:

Kobe has almost nothing in common with Miller besides being shooting guards, very weird comparison

Maybe he meant Cheryl.

The best thing about that 30 for 30 about the Nicks and Pacers was Cheryl relentlessly talking poo poo on Reggie.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > The Football Funhouse > Super Bowl Week News/Views: (Throws ball) "KOBE!"

The fake throw with no flinch was right there man.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

gently caress, I forgot about Matt Barnes.

I just watched the whole thing again and the T on Howard around 1:20 with no foul on Kobe is ridiculous.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

OPOTY should never be a QB, so I'm glad for once they got that right.

Hasn't it traditionally been used as a consolation prize for not winning the MVP? If I'm right on that it makes sense since the MVP has been almost exclusively QB or RB other than LT, Alan Page and a couple of kickers.

Well a kicker/OT in the first year it was awarded because the old NFL was weird.

e: oops Lou Groza never won AP MVP, I was looking at a different list.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 2, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have the serenity that comes with knowing your team is about to win a superbowl

I have the opposite of this.

I mean I don't think it's preordained that they lose, but I have the opposite of serenity.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Tying Coach of the Year to turnarounds is dumb as dogshit and has led to so many stupid winners

On the other hand Belichick would have won it for like 15 of the last 20 years or more if they didn't do that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

There is only one outcome that results in seeing Jimmy Garoppolo's smile. I'm not telling people to root for the Niners, just reminding them what's at stake today.

He throws a terrible interception and does the sheepish smile that guys do when they do something really bad is on the table.

That would require him to throw though, so I'm not entirely sure that would be necessary.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1224019742081671175

I love how much his own team hates Derek Carr.

e: oops beaten in another thread. But as a Chiefs fan I will say I am all for this.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 2, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It both seems like it wasn't that long ago that Vernon Davis was a monster and also loving forever ago.

Looked it up, 2013 was his last good year, although he did okish in 2017.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 2, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

solarjetman posted:

Quarterbacks who are 0-1 as a starter in Super Bowls:
Ron Jaworski

God bless Jaws for making it to a Super Bowl.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Why did the Chiefs take those style of victory kneel downs?

It looked weird as if they were taunting or something but they had to get it down to 6 seconds or so for that final play in order to not punt.

I mean they almost surely didn't actually have to up 2 scores, but that's the only way they didn't give the 49ers the ball back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I didn't think about it until now that the game ended on a play where they just wanted Mahomes to throw the ball as high and far as he could to run the clock out :unsmith:

Like, I recognized that was the plan, but didn't think about it being Mahomes doing it. After, well, no offense to any of the others, the strongest armed quarterback the Chiefs had in the last 20 years was Brodie Croyle.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 3, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Have the Chiefs had a dominating win beginning-to-end this season? I remember there being more of those last year, but the stars show this year to be a "down" year for them offensively.

Jags even though Mahomes sprained his ankle and I was worried about that. Broncos on Thursday night even though that's when we all thought the season and the career might be over was never competitive. Second Broncos game and the Bears. Oh second Raiders game too, the first wasn't close but Raiders jumped out to a lead early.

I guess 5 regular season games out of 16 where you never have to worry might not be abnormal for a champion? Like, most Super Bowl winners aren't the 2007 Pats who only had to worry like twice (in the regular season, you know the rest).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Picking up Mike Pennel mid-season.

Pennel deserves more credit than he gets even from KC press. It's not like he was amazing but man he helped a ton with the terrible run D and even managed to get a fair amount of pressures.

I'd agree that Veach overall has largely been winning the shots he's taken after wondering if he was taking too many of them at first. Kendall Fuller aside, although it looks like he might have found a home as a hybrid safety.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kalensc posted:

So, to put it another way: should K.C. invite these Dolphins as honored guests at next season's banner-raising ceremony?

There's definitely been a lot of joking going around that Fitzpatrick should get a ring.

Alex Smith too, who is apparently the one quarterback who has ever really sat down and trained his replacement. Like, there was apparently never a beef between them and Mahomes talks about how much Alex helped him learn how to be a professional QB and Alex knew the score the whole time. Might be Mahomes doing PR but if he was it worked on me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just noticed the spinny play also had the old Tom Landry all the linemen stand up from the ready position before getting set too.

https://twitter.com/247KevinBoilard/status/1224208710735712257