Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what computer did your mum buy you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
the rich doctor who lived down the street came around asking all us neighbors for donations to get computers for the elementary school i went to

dad said no cuz he was saving money to get us our own compute

rich doctor said "if i give you my old one will you donate?"

dad said sure you bet, and that's how i ended up with a 512k mac in my room. thx dad.

mostly i remember playing toxic ravine and being very bad at it.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
machines are fleeting. much like love

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I had a commodore 64 and I don't think my family ever paid for a single piece of software for it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

two computers for one family? what nonsense!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

two computers for one family? what nonsense!

same but phone lines

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
a used ibm pc xt that my parents got because it was cheaper than an electric typewriter they originally went out to buy

first pc that was mine was a pentium 166 mmx :hellyeah:

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

my grandpa got a new computer so he came over to my house and dropped his old tandy 1000 on my desk. I didn't have the 5 1/4 drive, but i had the printer and the joystick along with a few games.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Fabricated posted:

I had a commodore 64 and I don't think my family ever paid for a single piece of software for it

my dad had a bunch of atari floppies and none of them were commercial

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my mom bought me a macbook (2007) for college because I was getting good grades for a change

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

the first computer I ever had was some 386/16 clone with a meg of ram that my mom bought. I played hella DOOM and wing commander and logged into my friends BBS at 2400 baud. I also went to my first IRL BBS meetup in like 1995. I never did that again

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it was an ibm ps2. it was a floor model so it had a weird graphics program that played a demo and aces of the pacific which i could complete the steps needed to make it run about 1/3 of the time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

first computer program i have a memory of using in my house growing up was WordStar on a Kaypro with CP/M

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my first college roommate had some goddamn word processor with a model-m style keyboard that he loved to type on at 3am. also, when he was done, it would print everything ibm selectric style over the course of 10 minutes or so for a 10 page paper. what an rear end in a top hat

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Origin posted:

my grandpa got a new computer so he came over to my house and dropped his old tandy 1000 on my desk. I didn't have the 5 1/4 drive, but i had the printer and the joystick along with a few games.
gently caress, are you me? I had the 5" drive tho :smug:

My grandfather's new 486 ibm could run the gently caress outta word perfect now tho.

I had some fighter jet combat sim for it that i played the gently caress out of. I don't remember anything about it though other than everything was wireframe.

i don't think i had a 3.5" drive, i can't remember exactly what model it was.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 2, 2020

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

pentium 2 300 i had to use until 2006 with a 4mb ati rage '3d' pro that wasn't fully DX6 compatible.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
apple //c with dual floppies, no HD’s.

played a lot of donkey kong on it. and shuffleboard and a bunch of other games that i don’t remember the names of i guess.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

some 386/16 clone with a meg of ram that my mom bought. I played hella DOOM

drat like what at 5 fps in a postage stamp sized window

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
yeah gotta say 486-DX2 66 was like, the slowest box that could actually doom right

the DX33 was poo poo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's all about the pentiums baby

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
first pc the family ever had was a Packard Bell with win 95 on it. I remmeber there was also like this pseudo-other desktop thing that had shelves and stuff

hell yeah packard bell navigator

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my grandparents had an original macintosh at their house with an extra floppy drive and a dot matrix printer. i loved going there and playing with that thing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

first pc the family ever had was a Packard Bell with win 95 on it. I remmeber there was also like this pseudo-other desktop thing that had shelves and stuff

hell yeah packard bell navigator

this is what my grandparents eventually replaced their mac with. it was a step down in every conceivable way.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My first computer was a Dick Smith VZ300, which was a rebadged VTech Laser 300. Supposedly compatible to the TRS-80. I hated it as I wanted a Commodore 64 like the rest of my friends.

I still had the computer up to recently when I cleaned out dad's house. I gave it to a friend who is into retro computers (well, more than I am)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

You Am I posted:

My first computer was a Dick Smith VZ300

really? i had a dong forger 2000

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I had the hogsculptor 8e

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the first Pentium in the family was a PB 120mhz with what I thought at the time was the super cool but now agree with my father was a completely loving stupid packard bell navigator. I’m glad they are practically out of business and now computers are all just iMac abominations

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

on the topic of doom.

I have a Socket 4 Pentium 60. Which is like 10,000 dollars of computer right there.
Even it can barely do Doom at 30fps in heavier levels, and chugs for a lot of Doom 2.

We're loving spoiled by consumer level hardware being able to do 60fps 4k at less than 2,000 dollars in cost.

Tres
Jun 21, 2003

Richard Stallman AKA St. iGNUcius-sama <3
Grimey Drawer
I had a Mac Performa 575 I think.

I hated it at the time because it wouldn't play any cool DOS or Windows games, but I have a lot of good memories of playing Theme Park, Warcraft 1/2, and SC2K on it for hours on end.

It was also the first computer I ever used on the net, which we got hooked up in like 1996. My parents were pretty forward thinking about that.

I really wanted it to run Netscape Navigator Gold so that I could make my own website using the built in WYSWYG editor, but there was some reason it couldn't (CPU?). I also loved flight sims so I remember wanting to play Flight Unlimited on it, only to be absolutely devastated that it couldn't because it wasn't a Power Mac.

Got an IBM Aptiva in 1997 and loved the absolute hell out of that thing because of Flight Sim 98, then built my first PC in 2001.

That Performa made me hate Macs and Apple products until the launch of OS X and the first-gen iPod.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Sniep posted:

yeah gotta say 486-DX2 66 was like, the slowest box that could actually doom right

the DX33 was poo poo

it might seem like that to us now, but, back in the day, if it could execute that was usually considered 'playable' to most

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

WilWheaton posted:

it might seem like that to us now, but, back in the day, if it could execute that was usually considered 'playable' to most

it seemed like that to me then

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

akadajet posted:

really? i had a dong forger 2000

My parents were too cheap for that :(

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

dougdrums posted:

gently caress, are you me? I had the 5" drive tho :smug:

My grandfather's new 486 ibm could run the gently caress outta word perfect now tho.

I had some fighter jet combat sim for it that i played the gently caress out of. I don't remember anything about it though other than everything was wireframe.

i don't think i had a 3.5" drive, i can't remember exactly what model it was.

One thing that I got were all the Kings Quest and Space Quest games up to that point. My grandfather probably also had the Leisure Suit Larry games as well, but I obviously never got them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Fabricated posted:

yeah, bbc model b (one of the later ones with a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive) and same

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
start with greenpos, turn the div borders purple, and turn all the buttons and links yellow and I reckon you'd have a pretty good Chuckie Egg 'pos

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i had a 386/25. i played a lot of id/apogee games from software creations bbs.

timick
Apr 7, 2016

Yes, the first computer I bought was a commodore 64.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

yeah I think I’m confusing wolfenstein 3D with doom. gently caress you it was almost 30 years ago

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
doom sucked. quake was the first fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Hammerite posted:

doom sucked. quake was the first fps

corridor 7 alien invasion