Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SRQ posted:

on the topic of doom.

I have a Socket 4 Pentium 60. Which is like 10,000 dollars of computer right there.
Even it can barely do Doom at 30fps in heavier levels, and chugs for a lot of Doom 2.

We're loving spoiled by consumer level hardware being able to do 60fps 4k at less than 2,000 dollars in cost.

My dad had an IBM with a 25 MHz 486 and it ran Doom just fine full-screen? It did have 80 MB of RAM, dunno if that helped vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah iirc any 486 was fine and the 386dx was also ok? idk

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I had a 486/SX33 and I remember it struggling with Doom a little bit unless you reduced the viewport a few notches.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

I had a 486/SX33 and I remember it struggling with Doom a little bit unless you reduced the viewport a few notches.

oh maybe it really wanted that fancy math coprocessor?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as likely as not a more modern pc can struggle with doom from stalling everything doing then-already-outmoded graphics pokes

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
An Atari 800XL. Returned home from school to discover my mum had given it away because "you don't play with it anymore".

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

My dad had an IBM with a 25 MHz 486 and it ran Doom just fine full-screen? It did have 80 MB of RAM, dunno if that helped vOv

no it didn't.

I mean I'm not trying to gaslight you or dismiss your memory here, it ran fine _for you_, but on that hardware it absolutely would have chugged in intense spots and was probably pulling 15-20 FPS in the best of cases, or else it had sound-mixing down to 2 voices or something like that.

also yes Doom runs a shitload better with a DX vs an SX to the point where a DX-33 is as much of an improvement over an SX-33 as a Pentium is to a DX-33.
This is based on my own testing and experience in relatively recent times.
my point that we're spoiled in 2020 with solid framerates at high resolutions on consumer hardware stands. even consoles caught up.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I got Quake running on that computer too, with some program that touted itself as a 'math co-processor emulator.' It worked in that it technically ran and I got in-game but it would be more accurate to say it ran in frames-per-hour than frames-per-second.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I got Quake running on that computer too, with some program that touted itself as a 'math co-processor emulator.' It worked in that it technically ran and I got in-game but it would be more accurate to say it ran in frames-per-hour than frames-per-second.

Well Quake SUXIT so it was for the best.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i overclocked my pentium 75 to 90 so i could run quake better

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
yeah i distinctly recall that doom on a DX-33 or less vs a DX2-66 being the specific cutoff where doom played Acceptably for me. Anything under a DX2-66 chugged FPS wise with high detail mode and full screen. Sample size of very many different computers, i played a shitload of doom as a teen and it was painful to go down to a 33mhz machine math coprocessor or not

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

if love it if that program just replaced the regual doom executable with one compiled after they commented out a bunch of hard stuff in the code

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

SRQ posted:

also yes Doom runs a shitload better with a DX vs an SX to the point where a DX-33 is as much of an improvement over an SX-33 as a Pentium is to a DX-33.

i thought the only difference between a 486sx and dx was the disabled fpu, which wouldn't matter because doom is all fixed point integer math, but i am very open to being wrong about any or all of this sentence

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Acer Acros 486 SX/25, we used it until maybe late 1997

The first upgrade my dad made was a Sound Blaster 2.0. Then we doubled the RAM from 4MB to 8MB for $200. I filled up the 170MB hard drive with game saves so he bought a 850MB hard drive for it. A DX2/50 upgrade at some point in all this. We also tried adding a 2x CD-ROM drive but every one we tried failed within a month, early CD drives were just such poo poo quality.

We upgraded it to Windows 95 on floppies. It did not run Win95 well at all.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well Quake SUXIT so it was for the best.

sounds like someone couldnt figure out a proper 3D game :sweatdrop:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
every time i jump irl I make the quake guy jumpoing noise

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hammerite posted:

sounds like someone couldnt figure out a proper 3D game :sweatdrop:

Yeah, ID software.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, ID software.

:eyepop:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Doom? more like, uh, doomed to be remembered as the game that people put up with until quake was released

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ken Silverman made a better engine than John Carmack :colbert:

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
vic-20 -> plus/4 (ugh) -> Apple IIc -> IIgs (woz edition yo) -> Mac Plus -> Performa 450 -> iMac Rev B. -> UMAX SuperMac S900 -> nothing cool since then

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Hammerite posted:

every time i jump irl I make the quake guy jumpoing noise

same

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gerbil Ambassador posted:

I remember my parents coming home with a Gateway 2000 with windows 95 on it from Best Buy or Circuit City and my brother being really excited, but me, being a dumb kid, thinking it was pointless because I couldn't play Donkey Kong Country on it. But I eventually came to love it when one of my uncles introduced me to Warcraft 2.

i dont think they sold gateway computers in stores. at least not in the mid 90s. you probably had a compaq or Packard Bell, or if it definitely was a gateway, they got that poo poo thru the mail

my first computer was a ti 99/a but my first real one was a compaq with the monitor built into the tower. it had a 1X cd rom drive, 200 MB hard drive, and windows 3.1 with TabWorks. it was so slow it couldn't run this Kid Pix thing we had. but it ran AOL and that's all i really cared about

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 5, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

there were those gateway country stores in the mid-late 90s. maybe they got it there?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Arson Daily posted:

there were those gateway country stores in the mid-late 90s. maybe they got it there?

the one near me is a guitar center fedex store now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Arson Daily posted:

gateway country stores also did not stock any computers for sale, remember?

it was just a showroom where you could play with one of a few limited models, and have human help to put in an order for a mail delivery computer like you would otherwise.

you Literally could not walk out of a gateway country with a computer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

finally some corporate responsibility

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"look hoss, if I sell you one of these and you walk outta here and crash it, I could lose my license"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

it was just a showroom where you could play with one of a few limited models, and have human help to put in an order for a mail delivery computer like you would otherwise.

it was because if gateway actually sold things in their retail stores then theyd be doing business in a particular state and have to pay state sales taxes on all the computers they sold in that state (retail or mail order) which would put them at an enormous disadvantage relative to their mail order competitors (compaq, micron, dell, hp, etc)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

FMguru posted:

it was because if gateway actually sold things in their retail stores then theyd be doing business in a particular state and have to pay state sales taxes on all the computers they sold in that state (retail or mail order) which would put them at an enormous disadvantage relative to their mail order competitors (compaq, micron, dell, hp, etc)

makes sense but still you could go to CompUSA or Circuit City and walk out with a computer so it still felt weird to have a B&M store with no products

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

makes sense but still you could go to CompUSA or Circuit City and walk out with a computer so it still felt weird to have a B&M store with no products
theyve largely disappeared from the retail landscape but catalog showrooms used to be a fairly common thing

apple had no problem selling stuff in their retail stores because their mail-order business was minuscule

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sniep posted:

I had no idea wow. I never set foot in one just saw them randomly scattered amongst the rest of the suburban sprawl where I grew up

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I "had" an Apple ][ and then a generic 486 but those were hand-me-downs so the first one I actually built was a P2 266.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i seem to recall that during the same era (late 90s) dell had a similar arrangement, except instead of stores they had carts inside of malls with a couple of demo laptop models and a guy to answer questions, upsell you on features, and guide you through putting the order through on the shop.dell.com website (which he had up on his laptop)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

im going to say the first real experience with one was a school apple ][e

my first home computer was an ibm ps/1 expert with the proud features of cd-rom and 3.5/5.25 inch combo drive. i scavenged the combo when it stopped working and my dad got a new computer 11 years later (!!!) and added it to a 1.33 Ghz tbird tower

the wild thing is that, in the mean time, we got a second computer and id even built two more from new or used parts, so i had no idea he was still using that thing until i visited one time and he showed me a terribly limited hp discount tower hed bought to replace the old desktop

that ps/1 had more performance running win 3.1 than the celeron hp had running windows xp and i miss that little pizza box a bit sometimes

FMguru posted:

i seem to recall that during the same era (late 90s) dell had a similar arrangement, except instead of stores they had carts inside of malls with a couple of demo laptop models and a guy to answer questions, upsell you on features, and guide you through putting the order through on the shop.dell.com website (which he had up on his laptop)

they still do i think

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Arson Daily posted:

even if that were the case (as mentioned already it couldn't have been) i don't think it would have been in the windows 95 days. i remember them being around in the 98-ME days.

edit: looks like it made it up to the Vista days! this guy on Reddit still has a gateway store sign up at his shopping center in Rochester, NY

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 5, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
my parents were teachers so when I was little sometimes we got to borrow Apples ][ or Macs SE over the holidays

when I was older we purchased a LC575 and had a mix of older and newer games; Math Blaster, Vette!, Scarab of RA, SC2K, F/A-18 Hornet, Return To Zork

in adolescence I managed to scrounge discarded Macs, having a Colour Classic, IIsi, Power Mac 7200 at various points

I have an embarrassing photograph of my childhood room somewhere...

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it was first this

then this risc piece of poo poo that had Lemmings and Chuck Rock plus some midi music programme my dad and young me mucked around on

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

128k zx spectrum -> amiga 1200 -> ps1 -> pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

amiga 500 into a victor brand 386. never really got on with the amiga to be honest, in the end playing some civ and writing some basic on the 386 was my formative computer experience.