Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

do we have the sense of yopsos yet — what is a computer??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that......................

which computes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that’s all. that’s all there is to it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
first computers are a gateway drug

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

fack you posted:

vic-20 -> plus/4 (ugh) -> Apple IIc -> IIgs (woz edition yo) -> Mac Plus -> Performa 450 -> iMac Rev B. -> UMAX SuperMac S900 -> nothing cool since then

i am confused as to why you went from a g3 based all in one to a... 604 based desktop.
Expandability? a g3 upgrade?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

President Beep posted:

that......................

which computes.

i need more evidence op

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Commodore 64 that I got for Christmas and had to exchange the next day because it was broken out of the box (screen was covered with $ characters).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

theadder posted:

i need more evidence op

ah, how did you come to that conclusion?

did you....compute that? (think about it)

hmmm??

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
I do, op

presenting the vtech precomputer 1000

it's got a z80 compatible processor, it runs basic, it has a one line 20 character display, and zero persistent storage

somewhere, there's notebook after notebook filled with scribbled basic code for programs that five year old me wrote

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

SRQ posted:

i am confused as to why you went from a g3 based all in one to a... 604 based desktop.
Expandability? a g3 upgrade?

I got a really good deal on it, even though it was already outdated by then. It came with a g3 upgrade. I honestly used the iMac a lot more at the time so I shouldn't have listed it I just wanted to be cool ok

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I am considering buying an Atari 1200XL and a floppy emulator for it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

President Beep posted:

ah, how did you come to that conclusion?

did you....compute that? (think about it)

hmmm??

no op

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

my parents wouldn't buy me a computer so i saved up some money and bought a used computer from the local library that was selling their old computers off

it was a 33mhz 486 with 2 scsi cd drives and a 500mb hard drive

i think the hard drive might have actually been 1 gig but the bios didnt support it or i didnt know how to do it at the time or something

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Silver Alicorn posted:

I am considering buying an Atari 1200XL and a floppy emulator for it.

Buy a 800XL instead. The 1200XL is too buggy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it was probably a mac iivx or one of its contemporaries. it would make sense if my dad bought it after it's big price cut

that was a loving good computer:

• sim ant
  • sim city
  • encarta cd rom to read about bugs
  • badass scuba diving tutorial to learn how to use the mouse
  • claris works for writing lovely sci-fi stories
  • star trek 25th anniversary
  • mac paint or a similar program
  • you could make your personal folder cool colors
  • aol (after a system update)
  • happy mac on boot

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
a tandy 386 sx 25, windows 3.1, i played a lot of battle chess and cga wheel of fortune on it, and a lot of netscape internet browsing

i wish i still had it but i think we sold it to upgrade to a 486 dx 33 a few years later so i could do or play something, maybe encarta?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

fack you posted:

I got a really good deal on it, even though it was already outdated by then. It came with a g3 upgrade. I honestly used the iMac a lot more at the time so I shouldn't have listed it I just wanted to be cool ok

nah it's pretty cool and if this was 2000 or so you woulda been pretty hot poo poo, that's like using a 2012 maxed out mac pro these days.

and equally useless outside of a workstation use case.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I miss my old dual Pentium III 866mhz BeOS rig, the motherboard blew up and cooked a cpu :(

that thing screamed!

and it could play mp3 files backwards

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes op

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I remember my older brother playing with a Commodore, then I remember also my father buying a 77 mhz computer or something like that. Good times those were.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

You Am I posted:

Buy a 800XL instead. The 1200XL is too buggy

thanks. I forgot which one was the good one

do you think any of the XE computers are worth getting?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

r u ready to WALK posted:

I miss my old dual Pentium III 866mhz BeOS rig, the motherboard blew up and cooked a cpu :(

that thing screamed!

and it could play mp3 files backwards

oh poo poo I should try beos on my dual p3 box

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

The 130XE looks cool. I don't know if it's good or not because I've never used anything else vOv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

looks like the 65XE and 130XE use a different expansion bus from the earlier models, and they were mostly marketed in europe so getting peripherals is probably a pain

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Silver Alicorn posted:

The 130XE maybe, but by then Jack Tramiel had taken over Atari and cost cut a lot of the components in the XE series compared to the XL, leaving a lot of them buggy due to the GTIA chip issue.

Silver Alicorn posted:

looks like the 65XE and 130XE use a different expansion bus from the earlier models, and they were mostly marketed in europe so getting peripherals is probably a pain

The XE series still used the SIO ports that were around since the 400/800 days, so you can still use printers, tape drives and disk drives from that era

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who cares - the 130XE looks like a hosed-up ST so everyone should have one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
to7/70 -> Amiga 500 -> Amiga 1200 (I kept this for like 8 years, turned into a tower mounted monstrosity with a power pc accelerator card and a permedia 2 graphics card) -> ps1 -> dreamcast -> pc running freebsd (lol) -> pc running Windows and linux

I was a die hard anti micro$haft idiot for a super long time, I had this riced up Amiga 1200 until like 2001