Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Ruffian moving like he's in the Donkey Kong Country cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This mission was a giant pain in my butt. Took me a half an hour jumping between the space and ground sections because I couldn't find the elevator.

Also I died a bunch too.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Star Wolf is looking pretty good for some guys who got turned into cyborgs and then splattered all over the surface of Venom

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

The term for a female fox is "vixen," which probably wouldn't go over any better with Krystal.

Loving this LP, by the way.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I miss pseudo-British Wolf, although Subdued Cowboy Wolf isn't too bad.

This rendition of their theme is definitely one of the best, though. What a killer trumpet!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Pretty sure it was this rendition of the theme that made teenager me convinced that wolf was some kind of spanish gentleman demanding that you duel for his honor or some poo poo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Even though Leon lost his suave voice and Panther is the Stereotypical Spaniard on the team :v:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even though Leon lost his suave voice and Panther is the Stereotypical Spaniard on the team :v:

Teenager me was pretty goddamn stupid, in my defense.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

While not a great level, Fichina is one of the better examples of the potential of Assault's mixed playstyles. The Landmaster just needed to control better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It'd also be nice if your teamates helped out too. You're on Falco's Arwing and he's just lazily circling around not firing once.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

So, with the comparison to Sonic Unleashed, where the werehog levels were there to pad the game because 3D Sonic running levels are really expensive for how many minutes of gameplay you get out of a level, I'm curious if Arwing levels were more time consuming to make or if they were just wary of how traditional Star Fox gameplay would sell in the early 2000s without on-foot and landmaster stuff? I know that Rogue Squadron III came out around the same time and put a bunch of ill conceived on-foot missions in the game.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
you say "Fourth playstyle: turret section! These are actually pretty fun."

I say "imagine if it was Barnstorming tho"

also his tail flailing in the wind is a funny detail

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So who's gonna buy new binoculars for the team since Fox just tossed them into the snow?

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

So who's gonna buy new binoculars for the team since Fox just tossed them into the snow?
They have enough money from Gen. Pepper to keep a stock of landmasters and arwings for Fox to completely wreck and vaporize.
Binoculars are not a big loss in their budget.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
Are you guys going to show off the special flags? or is that being saved for a bonus episode.

edit: watched video four. the multiplayer weapons it unlocks are cool but underwhelming for how much effort it takes.

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 7, 2020

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Well that's, uh, fuckin horrifying.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Wow that was a quick resolution.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah this is the part of the game where poo poo gets real.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I don't know how but I somehow totally missed this game's existence. I would have loved this as a kid.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So how exactly did Pigma wind up looking like the Borg Queen's butthole? Was it just holding on to the core memory unprotected?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So how exactly did Pigma wind up looking like the Borg Queen's butthole? Was it just holding on to the core memory unprotected?

Something like that, I think.

It dawns on me that boss is just a remix of the boss of Area 6 in SF64. Granted, with more... mutation involved.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like to assume all the obvious advice like 'don't fly into the wall' is meant for Slippy.

Also I'm waiting on the Chekov's gun of the Core Memory that Fox picked up in the first mission to come back.

This game seems pretty good, so I hope the next mission doesn't require you to keep Krystal from getting trapped in one again.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 11, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought Pigma stole that Core Memory.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I thought Pigma stole that Core Memory.

No, we got the first one in the first mission/episode and then Pigma stole the second one.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
including Pigma, i think Star Wolf's drastic characterization shift is what cemented my sour opinion on Assault.

the general ease of the all-range missions while flying vs. the general frustration of being on the ground were the lead-up.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

No, we got the first one in the first mission/episode and then Pigma stole the second one.

The first one we got was damaged and incomplete, and so it doesn't actually have enough complete information to be useful. That's why we desperately needed the one Pigma stole - it was intact, and thus would likely have all the information they're looking for.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I hate to alarm you guys but Mauler has released a 10 hour video rebutting your statements about asteroid belt density.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We gave it a name and then shot it to poo poo. And Tricky lived.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am pretty positive I have beaten this game and I don't remember Sauria at all.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Slippy practices dental hygiene twice a day

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

there's something deeply hilarious to me about the idea of Dinosaur Planet - Now I Have A Machine Gun Ho-Ho-Ho edition

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fish Noise posted:

there's something deeply hilarious to me about the idea of Dinosaur Planet - Now I Have A Machine Gun Ho-Ho-Ho edition
Now we see how much faster that game would have gone if Fox had a machine gun

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now we see how much faster that game would have gone if Fox had a machine gun

Well, General Scales certainly would've been less of an issue.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I hate to alarm you guys but Mauler has released a 10 hour video rebutting your statements about asteroid belt density.

oh dear god no

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

One of my favorite levels for multiple reasons, one of them being how our commentary goes off the rails when The Good poo poo happens.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Star Fox Assault one level ago: Funny dinosaurs! Fox getting flustered about Krystal! Good times!

Star Fox Assault now: "Honor! Let me keep my honor, Fox!!"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say this for the turret section, and your ride's flying:

Fox's ability to remain standing on the wing of the ship while in flight is certainly impressive, but the pilot is, after all, trying not to throw Fox off. So they're kinda forced to keep their movements simple, which means they need to rely on Fox and his inexplicable Blaster Bazooka thing to take out any threats.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pepper: Fox! Cornelia is under attack! Help us!
Fox: We're on our way.
*Fox beams down completely unarmed*
Pepper: what are you doing?!
Fox: We're here to save the planet, not blow it up. *stares at flagship *

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

my new Star Fox game concept: at least 4 player co-op and each level can be approached in multiple configurations, depending on level environment. Barnstorming is always available on levels with vehicles, but try not to lose wings that your buddies are standing on.

Jacob posted:

It's only the worst thing I ever said cuz Leon's a part of it. He may have a sexy voice in Star Fox 64 but he's still a lizard.
That's your objection???

Yoshi posted:

I would actually appreciate a darker Star Fox game. Like, not too dark to the point where it's like unrecognizable but like-
my new Star Fox game concept: STAR FOX: THE LINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Slaan posted:

Why can't they make Star fox games as Star fox games? :(

Same problem as Sonic has. A lot of developer effort for not much game time. You have to carefully design and script the whole thing, and it's over fast. Meanwhile, stuff like the on-foot segments is relatively simple to design, and can be easily extended. It's like Gunpoint V. Heat Signature. Similar dev times, same team, but the scripted campaign of Gunpoint is much, much shorter than finishing Heat Signature's proceduraly generated campaign.

If people were willing to pay full price for replaying an hour of gameplay to master it, Starfox style games would be an easier sell, but as the market sits, people tend to want a lot of game for their dollar if they're interested in singleplayer. (Thus, to an extent, the rise of Ubisoft's current formula and GTA V's perpetual money fountain.)

...And, of course, Starfox Zero sucked. That didn't help.