Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well I’m sold.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That's some pure industrial grade sent-to-texas-engineering-school-international-student-one-of-the-good-ones right there. They are not sending their best (to trump country)

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Can’t forget the OG https://youtu.be/DH5rzvt-fcY?si=HXdmRUhCBrqrfAS7

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
look at how far ahead PRC is on AI-generated content

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
re: left/tankie views -

https://twitter.com/CNguyenEc/status/1776367508133482664

https://twitter.com/CNguyenEc/status/1776371236844528086

(I personally don't think this is a mystery - the late Soviets were willing to drop 15% of their own GDP, and easily >40% of the GDP of recipient countries, in military spending. With this kind of largesse you can escalate domestic conflicts against your rivals as far as you care to do so. China has no such intentions, much to e.g. Cuba's disappointment in the late 2010s)

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Also I feel like the belt and road initiative has made a lot of countries wary of Chinese aid.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Doesn’t China explicitly say it’s not their intent to export ideology in their foreign relations?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they also don't like, have one

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Isn't telling other nations that they hurt your feelings an ideology

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

"China #1" qualifies as an ideology.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
my ideology is yum cha

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

my ideology is yum cha

Your ideology got killed by a Saibaiman. Pathetic.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Doesn’t China explicitly say it’s not their intent to export ideology in their foreign relations?

China abstractly does not engage in 意识形态输出 ideological export as a longstanding communist theory idiom (i.e. 输出革命 exporting the revolution), but it does engage in 讲好中国故事 telling the China story well (不断提升中华文化影响力,把握大势、区分对象、精准施策,主动宣介新时代中国特色社会主义思想,主动讲好中国共产党治国理政的故事、中国人民奋斗圆梦的故事、中国坚持和平发展合作共赢的故事,让世界更好了解中国)

This has some real and material distinctions, e.g., China remains not interested in backing communist insurgencies as it once did up to the 1980s with the Philippine/Thai/Malaysian communist parties/insurgencies ("backing" as in, supplying actual arms and funding, not just notionally supporting!). This is naturally important to countries in the region, and is reflected in conflicts which China could very easily ideologize not turning ideological (e.g., ongoing Myanmar civil war). On the other hand, when one normally says "ideological export" today we don't normally think of it in its mid 20th century sense, but instead in the sense Milanovic describes: promoting one's own ideological model as a model for success.

tl; dr: when China says they "don't export ideology", they're not being disingenuous - it means something that is really different from past Chinese foreign policy - but it also doesn't mean what you might think it means

There are some limitations to Nguyen's observation: it's pretty clear that e.g. the Vietnam govt looks to China to crib notes. Policy discourse in India is noticeably much less enthusiastic about Western alt-globalization discourse than it was in the 1990s. Actually, I would say Nguyen's puzzle is more applicable to Africa and Latin America.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 8, 2024

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

McGavin posted:

Your ideology got killed by a Saibaiman. Pathetic.

hey shanghai had a giant dead yamcha

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they also don't like, have one

Chabuduo is the ideology

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/tGUYlZu.mp4

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

those laundry commercials feel like a long time ago now

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Extra lol at that server losing it.

That poor girl has a rough week ahead of her.

https://i.imgur.com/jSvmSCl.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

"Are... are we supposed to kiss now too, Chen?"
"Damned if I know, Wu."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boy that video comes across a lot different if you miss the first 10 seconds or so.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

lmao there is no ''winner'' country at the olympics. That's the point of the olympics.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Tai posted:

lmao there is no ''winner'' country at the olympics. That's the point of the olympics.

I also appreciate that even after the inclusions they still don't have the most total medals.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'm impressed that Hong Kong and Macau actually win medals. Taiwan too, but I am less surprised that they are good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Taiwanese men's doubles badminton beat China for gold so there's a lot of bitterness.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The PRC should simply eat the bitterness.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Macau doesn't participate in the olympics though?? :psyduck:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
russia can only salivate at all the alt accounts

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
congrats to Taiwan

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Article is firewalled but you can watch the video where they run a wargame on the invasion of Taiwan.

https://www.wsj.com/video/what-war-games-tell-us-about-a-potential-chinese-invasion-of-taiwan/27A8FCE8-EC84-4D3D-973A-B7EFD6B1930A.html

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/ppW6N9K.mp4

I hope they got paid well.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

They interviewed the guys after and their story is basically: “we were hired to set the pace for the guy, idk why we had bibs, etc.” seems like a run of the mill fuckup?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

"We investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing, case closed."

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacemaker_(running)

It's not super secret that some runners are just there (and paid for it) to help others.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xakura posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacemaker_(running)

It's not super secret that some runners are just there (and paid for it) to help others.

Yeah they probably weren’t allowed on the course without bibs.

Not that weird tbh

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

quote:

WASHINGTON, April 16 (Reuters) - China is directly subsidizing production of illicit fentanyl precursors for sale abroad and fueling the U.S. opioid crisis, a U.S. congressional committee said on Tuesday, releasing findings from an investigation it said unveiled Beijing's incentives for the deadly chemicals.

China continues to provide subsidies in the form of value-added tax rebates to its companies that manufacture fentanyl analogues, precursors and other synthetic narcotics, so long as they sell them outside of China, the House of Representatives' select committee on China said in a report.

"The PRC (People's Republic of China) scheduled all fentanyl analogues as controlled substances in 2019, meaning that it currently subsidizes the export of drugs that are illegal under both U.S. and PRC law," the report said, adding that some of the substances "have no known legal use worldwide."

The report cited data from the Chinese government's State Taxation Administration website, which listed certain chemicals for rebates up to 13%. It additionally currently subsidizes two fentanyl precursors used by drug cartels - NPP and ANPP, it said.

According to the Chinese government website, the subsidies remain in place as of April, the report said.

I figured they just turned a blind eye to the companies manufacturing the stuff.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I figured they just turned a blind eye to the companies manufacturing the stuff.

I mean, they might be doing that plus having really loving dumb structures for claiming subsidies. I should see if the committee report is posted somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Some part of me wonders if the party doesn’t see it as deliberate revenge for flooding China with opium.