Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Shumagorath posted:

Some part of me wonders if the party doesn’t see it as deliberate revenge for flooding China with opium.

Wrong country. Although some back benchers are putting the blame of fake postage stamps on the CCP.

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I figured they just turned a blind eye to the companies manufacturing the stuff.

Part of the issue is that these are pretty basic precursors and there’s not a whole lot you can do besides ban the import without permits of ALL CHEMICALS including dangerous ones like DHMO to actually stop anyone from making Fentanyl

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Opium flooding claim always seems suspect to me. China had such immense population, how was pre-green revolution agriculture and early 19th century maritime trade suppose to produce and ship enough opium to be more than a blip? Opium export from India also increased many folds after the Opium War, meaning a much smaller amount of opium trade apparently already devastated Chinese society? Also that poo poo was expensive, how could the 95% subsistence farmer portion of the population afford it? Sounds like only urbanites and fail sons of landowners can be affected (of course we often have disproportional amount of sources from the literal class). Then there was also the long history of domestic opium cultivation and use in China itself, and the Warlord era was infamous for opium cultivation. Feels like it's a *100-years of humiliation* narrative blowing the importance the opium trade way out of proportion (as a harmful drug vs catalyst to the event marking the definitive decline of China against colonial powers).

THAT SAID, I think it's still a stretch to blame China for opioid epidemic in the US. From the reporting I've read so far it feels more like total apathy of Chinese government to regulate and enforce export (often there is also no agreement to control these substance, Chinese chemical company is just selling them to anyone and not asking many questions) than some nefarious plot as the evidence of this committee seems mostly consist of public available information.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
total trade was 40,000 chests, or 2800 tons, p/a, by 1840

they hadn't had the green revolution yet, but they knew how to farm stuff by 1840...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The British definitely sold lots of opium, but the modern narrative is always that the British were solely responsible and introduced China to the scourge of drugs, when in reality opium had been grown and used in China for many centuries just like everywhere else. There had been an explosion in its use as a recreational drug because the price had come way down so it was widely available, but that was already a thing before the British opium trade--they were exploiting a pre-existing market, not creating one. The majority of opium in China came from Sichuan.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

buh buh how could anyone farm 1800? without tractor??!!

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I personally have a hard time giving the PRC the benefit of the doubt over the precursor story being an innocent side effect of being a chemical exporter, particularly as it's been a high level diplomatic topic between the US and China. Chinese industry has a solid track record of profits above all while the government tends to draw a line under this that goes something like as long as those negatively affected are foreigners. Still the demand is a US problem and I'm biased in general when it comes to topics like this.

Unrelated the headlines today say Biden admin wants tariffs raised on Chinese steel and AL.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I buy that they just don't give a poo poo. The idea of it being some sort of long game revenge for the Opium Wars smells like the same kind of orientalist nonsense like the "China thinks in decades and centuries" stuff, I'm not going for that one.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I buy that they just don't give a poo poo. The idea of it being some sort of long game revenge for the Opium Wars smells like the same kind of orientalist nonsense like the "China thinks in decades and centuries" stuff, I'm not going for that one.
I don’t think it’s what you’re describing so much as low-effort “fair’s fair / being a boat anchor on north american public health is cool and good”.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yes, that's from a post I read that attempts to do the math on how much does 2800 tons annually (or whatever year's number you take) means. The conclusion is the import level is only enough for like tens of thousands addicts (as narrowly defined by the author because there's no one to take comprehensive survey of people's drug habit in 1840 like how often the drug is taken and dosage) vs the population of ~450 million Chinese population at the time and domestically produced opium soon overtakes import.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I don’t think it’s what you’re describing so much as low-effort “fair’s fair / being a boat anchor on north american public health is cool and good”.

Yeah, I can't imagine it's some nefarious plot handed down from the ghost of Mao, but "why should we help the west with their opiate problem, gently caress 'em" seems plausible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it seems like they don’t give a poo poo about it.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Whilst you can make the argument that China should maybe doing more to clamp down on things like precursors to devastating drugs, this is the same country that happily enabled a vast bear bile farming industry despite there being a huge oversupply of something that isn’t proven to have any benefit.

You could easily see this being about purely not giving a poo poo.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

code:
if (affects_CCP()==TRUE)
    {
        react_harshly();
    }
    else
    {
        do_nothing();
    }

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Speaking of that it's funny how hard the Chinese government is pushing back against a possible TikTok ban.

quote:

The Chinese Embassy has held meetings with congressional staff to lobby against the legislation that would force a sale of TikTok, according to two of the Capitol Hill staffers.
The embassy downplayed the national security concerns with TikTok in both meetings, the two staffers said, and sought to align the app with American interests: In one meeting, the embassy said a ban on TikTok would harm U.S. investors who hold some ownership in ByteDance. In the other, the embassy emphasized that not all ByteDance board members were Chinese nationals.

The embassy also sought to claim the company as Chinese, the staffers said, despite TikTok’s public efforts to distance itself from the origin of its founders. TikTok, unlike ByteDance, is based in Singapore and the United States. In one of the meetings, the embassy argued that the legislation amounted to a forced data transfer of a Chinese company, according to the House staffer. In the other, the embassy argued that the effort was not fair to a Chinese company because the U.S. would not treat a company with a different national origin the same way, according to the Senate staffer.

Rich.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cabal Ties posted:

Whilst you can make the argument that China should maybe doing more to clamp down on things like precursors to devastating drugs, this is the same country that happily enabled a vast bear bile farming industry despite there being a huge oversupply of something that isn’t proven to have any benefit.

My understanding is that China actually does clamp down on precursors quite emphatically ... in Chinese markets. They have no issue with those companies exporting these drugs (which aren't used for anything other than fentanyl) as long as they don't sell in China.

Reuters posted:

China continues to provide subsidies in the form of value-added tax rebates to its companies that manufacture fentanyl analogues, precursors and other synthetic narcotics, so long as they sell them outside of China, the House of Representatives' select committee on China said in a report. "The PRC (People's Republic of China) scheduled all fentanyl analogues as controlled substances in 2019, meaning that it currently subsidizes the export of drugs that are illegal under both U.S. and PRC law," the report said, adding that some of the substances "have no known legal use worldwide."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-committee-finds-china-is-subsidizing-american-fentanyl-crisis-2024-04-16/

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Speaking of that it's funny how hard the Chinese government is pushing back against a possible TikTok ban.

Rich.

hmm wonder why this Singapore company wouldn't provide their valuable service to Hong Kong

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Cabal Ties posted:

It does actually have a benefit!

...as it turns out, so they (western medicine) produced a synthetic version thereof that requires no actual bears to be harmed. It's called ursodiol, I take it for my chronic liver and gall bladder issues.

So it somehow manages to be both less and more pointless/cruel than rhino horn/tiger dong.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 17, 2024

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is this not exactly what the CIA whined about decades ago - the USSR is promoting hard drugs to undermine upstanding patriots!!!!

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I stand corrected, tho my point still stands

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Kaal posted:

My understanding is that China actually does clamp down on precursors quite emphatically ... in Chinese markets. They have no issue with those companies exporting these drugs (which aren't used for anything other than fentanyl) as long as they don't sell in China.

are the tax rebates for selling fent overseas? cause it doesn't specifically say that, it just says the companies get tax breaks. which all pharma companies do

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cactus Ghost posted:

are the tax rebates for selling fent overseas? cause it doesn't specifically say that, it just says the companies get tax breaks. which all pharma companies do

The Reuters article continues:

quote:

The report cited data from the Chinese government's State Taxation Administration website, which listed certain chemicals for rebates up to 13%. It additionally currently subsidizes two fentanyl precursors used by drug cartels - NPP and ANPP, it said.”

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Rich.

It is absolutely impossible for China not to take credit for something. Just can't be done no matter how beneficial it would be to them.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

I figured they just turned a blind eye to the companies manufacturing the stuff.

the only things reuters has listed as actually subsidized are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-ANPP and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Phenethyl-4-piperidinone, which are precursors to fentanyl (and presumably analogues), but regular fentanyl is a legal (if scheduled) drug frequently used in clinical settings, and China has a legitimate interest in fostering a domestic pharmaceutical industry

the reps are being willfully ignorant of how pharmaceuticals are manufactured and conflating the legitimate precursors with the grey market operations for CHYNA political points

the grey market operations can and do attract the eye of sauron if they sell banned poo poo. you don't exactly see methoxetamine coming out of there anymore. analogues are a complicated space even in light of blanket bans, because there's usually not a formal scientific definition of one. laws usually play whack-a-mole with specific chemicals as they become prominent on the scene

china has cut down on precursor sales to a degree, in that you used to be able and go get poo poo off alibaba in bulk. per hamilton morris that's no longer an option, but he was able to contact one of the companies formerly listing things on alibaba and they were happy to sell it still offsite. that was for buproprion precursors though, which aren't as much law enforcement concern.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 18, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol an alibaba ad tried to sell me literal meth, not the precuror just straight up pure stuff

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Lol an alibaba ad tried to sell me literal meth, not the precuror just straight up pure stuff

So what was the stuff you actually received?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
man this makes me realise i've slept on the pharmaceuticals section of the canton fair

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One of my friends would regularly find drugs or ingredients to easily make drugs on Taobao. Dunno if that's been cracked down on at all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
my entire reason for ultimately posting in this thread was all the business i did in china and if it's anything like when i was in the game it's something of a stupid mix of all of the above posters' hunches. i'll scattershot this as quick as i can, apologies if i misattribute someone's statement but i'm not interested in doing a serious effortpost since everyone's already clear that this is mostly a political game.

1) CCP has an interest in a homegrown pharma industry
this is almost certainly why those rebates exist to begin with, autarky has always been something the CCP likes and not-created-here is the entire reason so much IP theft has happened/continues to happen. there's about a 99% chance that the rebate in question isn't specifically for those precursors, and instead is some more vague and broadly worded "useful pharmaceutical chemicals" break that the deeply arbitrary tax authority is choosing to interpret that way for now. chinese companies tend to be very clear on these tax loopholes and are ruthless in exploiting them. when i was importing small electronics, one of the only things i could rely on my chinese factories for was telling me how to list my import manifests - they would ALWAYS know exactly the codes to use to get around tariffs and taxes, so they could deliver me the lowest price (for a predictably lovely product).

2) CCP cares more about what happens in the country and doesn't give a poo poo as long as it leaves
guaranteed true. this threads through every aspect of chinese law and chinese business practices. you could be making the abovementioned meth two blocks away from a police station and as long as you were able to prove that every last gram of it left on a freighter there's a 0% chance anyone would bust you for it. if it doesn't happen to Han people, it does not matter.

3) this isn't a long game revenge play
yea, no way. the CCP can't remember what it was up to a few years ago in many cases, there's so much "we have always been at war with eurasia" doublethink it's insane. this is just a way to make money in a world where people are progressively going to china for less and less stuff. it'll stop when other countries force it to stop somehow, until then it's just a way to get cash in.

4) ultimately this is a US problem
100% and most of the problem is older generations anyway. i'd have to go hunting for it again but there were a bunch of studies around 2015-2018 that basically pointed out that boomers have used way more drugs than any generation cohort either before or after and it's not a new phenomenon. they used the most LSD in the 70s, the most meth in the 80s, and the most opium every decade thereafter. it should come as no surprise that the pack of ancient lichs in the US congress care a lot about this drug epidemic and not things like crumbling infrastructure, the out of control state of housing, the huge spike in difficulty for younger generations getting actual careers rather than a lovely chain of gigs, and all the other basic crap governments are supposed to care about. the drug epidemic is the only thing that's affecting their crusty-rear end age cohort.

by no means is opioid abuse going to go away, ever, but nobody should be surprised as the problem progressively resolves itself without the government doing basically anything. doctors are going to keep getting more and more reluctant to give out opioids because of the buzz and the life long drug customers are going to continue to die of old age. nothing will happen at any federal or state level but the problem will magically disappear anyway. politicians will nonetheless claim credit for being tough on the topic because they introduced motions that didn't go anywhere. so it goes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I’m with you on a lot of that, but the average fentanyl user who ODs is 37. It’ll be a long time before old age makes an impact on consumer habits at large.

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2020/08/06/alarming-spike-fentanyl-related-overdose-deaths-leads-officials-issue

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that's only san diego county, i was speaking nationally

i can't say i'm surprised that one of the largest staging areas for illegal opioid importation has just a general opioid problem tho.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Xincos

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i havent seen pants that baggy since 2002

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Please Kimmer Don't Hurt 'Em

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

everybody having a wonderful time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
north korea attempts to do autarky in everything, including clothing. they make this fiber called vinylon from coal (which they have in large quantities), calling it juche-fiber

it is absolute dogshit

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bob dobbs is dead posted:

north korea attempts to do autarky in everything, including clothing. they make this fiber called vinylon from coal (which they have in large quantities), calling it juche-fiber

it is absolute dogshit

Today I learned that Fjällräven's Kånken backbags, which cost hundred euros on average and are really popular among kids here, are made from Juche fiber.

No wonder that Scandinavian teens are so woke! :tinfoil:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean presumably not the same cloth that was actually made in NK? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Cactus Ghost posted:

i havent seen pants that baggy since 2002

i would have said 2020, and probably soon again in 2025