Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Phone posting for luck.

Whats the best way to post images nowadays

If you are on iOS use the imgur shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Please don’t eat bats.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol are those two paragraphs together like that? Is there one missing some place?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What kind of stuff is he looking for?

N95 and N99 masks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lilbeefer posted:

Do not give this dickhead airtime (the artist, not supreme leader Xi)

Why?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I live in a city with a lot of beautiful creative mural artists who decorate the city very well with large street paintings and scenes and letterings, its not that complicated of a concept and your response makes you look like a nerdo.

I mean it kinda is complicated.

Is he painting over other people’s poo poo?

Is he a huge dick?

You said he paints memes for Instagram but??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hearing reports from friends in Hong Kong who have relatives nearer Wuhan that if you’re caught outside without a pass from the local health officials authorising you to be outside then the police are authorised to execute you to prevent the spread of disease. Very scary stuff.

Oh come on now...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

Both

Twinkies are okay but they’re nothing too special

Yeah they are ok.

I mean definitely have one but they aren’t gonna blow your mind.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zushio posted:

Didn't the FBI have to get hackers to unlock a dead suspect's iPhone a few years back because Apple wouldn't give them a way in?

Pretty much but I think it was more of it was quicker for them to pay the hackers vs going through the legal route of making Apple do it.

They needed the information fast and Apple wasn’t going to do it as fast as they wanted.

It was the guy and his wife who shot up the building and they were concerned that there were more suspects out there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The North Tower posted:

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Posted on my Facebook wall.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fish and chips and dip posted:

Speaking of airlines, there are still flights in and out of China mainly on Chinese carriers and at reduced frequencies.

Most if not all airlines who have cancelled or reduced their flights to China have set end of April as the target date for when they'll go back to a normal schedule. Two weeks ago the target was end of March.

Honestly the tourism dollars that are lost from this are going to hurt a lot of people.

I was just in Bali and 60-70% of their tourists are from China and that is 0 now. Imagine a country just suddenly losing a huge chunk of its income for months on end.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

You're really making me want to get out and travel now, to be honest. Not even the Chinese specifically, but anything that cuts down on tour group types is going to make major tourist attractions way better. Hell, if I'm lucky other countries' tour groups will get paranoid and cancel too.

I’ve heard cruises are pretty cheap now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The junk collector posted:

It seems a lot of people in here don't know much about 5G or what it actually is. That's ok, most politicians pushing it don't have a clue either (see the self driving car comments).

5G is just a collection of standards so that when all the carriers roll out their next set of infrastructure upgrades it all plays nicely. 90% of 5G that is planned for rollout in the next 5 or so years is going to be FR1 under the 5gNR standard. It's basically the same thing as LTE-A which is what 4G is but they improved the back end routing and logic to reduce latency on the network by a lot. This means that all the crowded LTE bands in high traffic areas suddenly get a big capacity boost and outside of those areas you'll notice that stuff should load faster, though you won't actually have more bandwidth. Consumer side, it's basically it's getting network latency down low enough that you can play a multiplayer FPS on it and not hate yourself. This part of the 5G rollout uses the same frequency bands as LTE and is designed to seamlessly co-exist with LTE networks.

FR2 is the spooky millimeter wave band stuff that shows up in the news constantly. This is the stuff that has very limited propagation range but also extremely high data throughput. It runs at around 40 GHz where FR1 is around 800 MHz.
There are a ton of neat little technological things that running at 40 GHz enables. Stuff like antenna's being so miniaturized you can have entire arrays bonded directly onto a microchip and whatnot. The only country that is seriously rolling out FR2 currently is the US and it is being almost entirely used for backhaul infrastructure for the time being. Basically using steerable arrays between fixed base stations, they can use line of sight peer to peer microwave links on demand when the wired connection gets too full and alleviate network congestion at relatively low deployment costs. I would expect to see FR2 in Japan, Germany, and Korea next then the rest of the EU to follow.

Basically, 5G is just the general infrastructure improvements that are going to be required to keep ahead of the expected demand curve but has the potential to allow some new technologies down the road thanks to improved latency and potentially very high throughput. The hype around it has all been very weird to me.

I mean, this is basically the history of most of the US' major tech breakthroughs. There are a ton of smart people in the world and when you give them access to cheap resources, they figure out how to put it to work. Eventually corporations move in and raise the barrier to entry and then we move on to something else. There used to be a school of economic thought in the US where the best way to make money was to create new markets and capture a tiny share of it via first mover advantage because when a new market emerges, it's so large that any early share of it will be giant as well.

This is a good post and really helps to understand this poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wtf y’all even arguing about?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Divorce with Chinese characteristics.

Also I swear I’ve read a story exactly like that in the r/relationships thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If the money is already gone to China good luck getting anything back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

Yeah, this fucko:
https://twitter.com/theMHcomedian

Former writer for Jay Leno, of all people, who snuck out of the hotel where he was quarantined because he had "speaking engagements back home and didn't want to lose money".

He definitely lost that gig and any other future bookings, at least for a while.

Apparently putting millions at risk was worth 9k.

loving lol he’s getting lit up in the comments

https://twitter.com/themhcomedian/status/1230521371811143680?s=21

He is also wrong and a loving dumbass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

d0s posted:

Do you guys know if Guangzhou is under some sort of lockdown due to the virus? I am dealing with someone there about a sea freight shipment and he says everyone is locked in their homes because government orders so nothing can get done for two weeks or so. I was assuming that was just Wuhan/Hubei but idk

I dunno about that specific location but it’s not just Wuhan.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thrasher posted:

I’m getting a bunch of stuff manufactured in Liuyang,Hunan and my contact there said the factory is starting back at work this Wednesday.

Logistics of getting it out to port may be another issue but I’m waiting to hear back on that.

I’d take that date with a grain of salt TBH.

If it does happen great! Don’t be surprised if it gets pushed though the situation isn’t better China is just downplaying it as much as possible at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thrasher posted:

I think that’s a bit extreme. I’ve had this factory manufacture for me in the past and we have a good working relationship.. I can understand companies trying to be overly optimistic about dates and trying to keep customers from jumping ship in this situation.. but lie, stall, repeat hasn’t been my experience .. they have been upfront about their delays and how they have been impacted by the virus.

At least that’s what I’ve found with my supplier

Can you do us a favor and keep us updated if they actually do end up shipping?

I’m honestly curious if they are gonna reopen.

I really get the impression that the CCP is going to force a lot of these places to open back up because of the hit it’s already taken.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thrasher posted:

Will do.. just curious who is your logistics provider? I use FedEx Trade Networks and my arrangement with the factory is FCA.. FedEx does door to door for me which I arrange from my end.

With the factories behind I’m actually more worried about the container ship not having enough cargo to justify sailing so I get the goods in time.

Oh I've been out of that game for literally 20 years. Back when I did it we were getting our PCBs and metal cases made in china and it was a poo poo show to say the least.

I'm more just curious to see how things are on the ground level for people actually trying to get things done. The news is poo poo most of the time so I'm just interested in hearing people's real world tales.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atopian posted:

Supposedly there is now a ban on selling wild/hunted animals for consumption.

No idea how long it'll last or how hard it'll be enforced (this being China, the answer to both will be "varies by region"), but it's definitely there now.

And, interestingly, came about due to popular opinion. The Chinese internet has had some... scathing things to say about the whole practice, which were permitted to spread uncensored.

Good. I really hope it stays in place for good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well this is one way to get the factories running again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nathanattrill/status/1234085700946890752

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just saw a breaking news tweet that the virus is still not under control In Wuhan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atopian posted:

I forget exactly, but I think some people in this thread were talking about some 4chan-derived statistic about Chinese phone cancellations as a proxy for virus deaths.

I found out about that today by accident from someone who cancelled along with loads of people they know:
Apparently China Mobile, one of the biggest mobile phone companies, had a really good promotional deal a while back, but tied to really high monthly rates for a year.
Loads of people got it, then a couple of months ago that deal ran out, and here we are.

Wait that phone company murdered all those people??

gently caress things are bad in China!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

I had a cup and it was sub McDonalds tier, which means its still better than whatever garbage Tim Horton's calls coffee

McDonald’s has good regular coffee though :confused:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Page 88 maybe it is very lucky

Posting for luck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So China sent a team to check on Kim

Turns out they got there late lol oops

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s gonna be real interesting to see what happens in the area now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is really cool and I’d love to see a video on how it actually works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blistex posted:

Did The Martian have the pandering in the novel?

I haven't read it but I'm gonna go with a big fat NO.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atopian posted:

It is impressive how angry a lot of mainland people get when you mention that Taiwan handled this whole thing quite well.

Taiwan isn't my favourite country, but it really did well in its recent response. And exists as a demonstration of all sorts of things that the mainland government would rather were not demonstrated.

Hey whats wrong with Taiwan?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I guess I should have clarified on what you term as "oppressed".

To me, oppression is what you have in North Korea. Nazi Germany oppressed the people they invaded and occupied. Living happily in a society that lacks freedoms of other societies, but where one can function and prosper isn't oppression to me.

Singapore is a single party nanny state that lacks significant freedoms to both the press and speech. However I would guess few people in Singapore would consider themselves oppressed due to the benefits that their society bestows on them. I think there is a similar condition in China. So long as society is improving (which it has been for decades), I think the Chinese people accept the fewer freedoms in exchange. I have always said that China will have much more unrest once their economy starts to go south and the government doesn't hold up their side of the bargain.

So what about the Uyghurs?

Like NBD?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

Out of all the countries I'd be saying Vietnam is handling Covid-19 even better than ROK. :uncleho:

Yeah I was gonna say Vietnam seems to have done one of the most impressive jobs out of anyone.

Well besides that one dumbass that skirted through customs and bragged about it (they caught up with her later and punished her).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like if you get banned from China ever even thinking about going back is a horrible idea.

Follow your heart though!

Straight into the gulag.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm actually surprised someone even looks into the status of universities and the validity of degrees.

Yeah me too.

Like this would almost never happen in the US lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

It's amazing how literally everybody hates Trump but won't impeach

Why would they want to though?

Seriously they make more money and gain more seats while he’s in power.

The Democratic Party has like 0 incentive to see trump removed from office.

If they really wanted trump out they certainly wouldn’t have run Biden lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

I just read an article on Vice that the CCP is harvesting Uighur organs to sell them on the black market, especially to the middle east. This sounds pretty outlandish (and Vice magazine may not be the most respectable publication) but given the recent Chinese history, is there any truth to that?
I mean, the concentration camps to which they admitted are already a huge human rights violation that would merit cutting the PRC out of all international relations (same as NK basically) but this is a whole other level of evil :ohdear:

That rumor has been floating around for like years now.

I definitely believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

“Stopped”