Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

In case people don't know, it is common to be a party member if you're just a good student or something. It's not necessarily analogous to being a member of a political party or political movement in the US. I know someone who was a party member just out of highschool, but became disillusioned with them pretty quickly. They haven't paid their dues in over a decade and are hoping they no longer qualify as a member, but I know it's stressing them out. They're pretty vocal about their problems with the CCP, so it would suck if they got caught up in this. I supposed the government could even use this as a weapon - "yep, they're a member, send 'em over!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The main guy just abandoning his friends and family for no apparent reason and never thinking about them again was pretty weird. Not sure what Lord Ugly means but that's the part I remember being most dumbfounded by.

I still preferred him to the second book's protagonist, who seemed to spend the whole book imagining his dream wifu and then managed to get a real life equivalent through government magic and also become the world's ultimate badass who was the only person the aliens would respect.

The stories sometimes had interesting concepts; I just couldn't like any of the characters.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

bones 4 beginners posted:

Yes! The dream girl thing was so lame and annoying, especially when the other (2?) female characters are not good people at all, if I remember right.

Then the 3rd book is entirely from a woman's perspective, but she just spends the whole book failing constantly because she isn't as much of a badass as the guy from the last book. Near the end she reflects on this fact, but the guy she's with says that her naive disposition is ultimately what was going to save the universe, so she should keep trusting her instincts (I'm badly paraphrasing here because it's been awhile). I honestly wasn't sure what the book was trying to say at that point because it never demonstrates this in any way. Also there was an anime samurai robot lady.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

That's a pretty cool move considering the Taiwanese seemed pretty nervous about Trump leaving office. I know some of them were really pro Trump due to his anti-China stances, and Biden's history with China.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember watching someone prepare a sort of chicken salad dish. They chopped up the meat, threw it in, then started chopping up the chicken bones and throwing them in. I was too dumbfounded to ask them to stop. There was also a street vendor who made wraps. When I asked him which one was the most popular, he said it was the chicken drumstick wrap. Just a bone-in drumstick in the middle of a wrap.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

When Xi decided he was going to be Dictator For Life and started removing any references to how Dictators For Life might be bad. Up until that point I was somewhat optimistic.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

ili posted:

When I found out the devious mainlanders stooped to cutting up drumsticks with cleavers. Nobody who does that could be even remotely trustworthy. Real countries do everything boneless so you can just inhale your food.

Either that or growing up with mostly taiwanese and honkie friends, with the Taiwanese living under threat of invasion while Hong Kong just slowly got worse and worse until we came to the situation now. While a few mainlanders I know couldn't even understand Taiwan is a different country.

All of my bones-in-food anecdotes actually come from Taiwan. A Taiwanese friend even told me that a western restaurant chain (Pizza Hut maybe?) had to create reconstituted bones to insert into their boneless ribs there because the Taiwanese demanded them.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Not realizing red bean isn't chocolate is kids' stuff. I was eating congealed duck blood for months before I finally found out it wasn't just "the red tofu."

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

All I got in Taiwan was kids stroking my hairy legs if I wore shorts, and lots of people wanting photos. A woman I know who went to Korea almost got grabbed and shoved into a white van, but managed to break free and run for it (that's the entirety of the story). There are some pretty unfortunate gender differences when traveling to Asia.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I saw a few of what I thought were street dogs in Taiwan, but they were all dressed in clothes. Not dog clothes though, but filthy human clothes. Like there would be a small pack of dogs roaming the street wearing dirty human t-shirts. Maybe someone was going around clothing the street dogs.

I don't think I saw a dog without clothes the whole time I was there.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

executing the IOC, while perhaps not strictly necessary for replacing the olympics, is absolutely something that should happen

I'm thinking we can work the first torch lighting into this.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember I was in QingDao and reading a little tourist pamphlet. The English part was something like "we are very proud of our beer tradition. We know the beer is bad but we are trying to improve, so please be kind and don't say anything mean to the tour guide." I really wish I had kept it, it was hilarious. For the record I don't mind QingDao beer but I also have terrible taste.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It can kind of suck because sometimes apartments just aren't built for any kind of heating whatsoever. I remember my place had AC but no way to heat and sometimes it was uncomfortable :( . Yes I cheaped out on apartments and could have bought a space heater, but that's not the point!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

generally the racial feature of white peeps in racist east asian drawing has converged on the nose. big racist honkers. which you never do in the actual west ofc

I remember a few times getting a drawing of myself at some roadside artists because they'd be a cool traditional style, and they'd get to the nose and pause for a bit trying to decide if they should just slap my big racist caricature style nose on there and I'm just like hell yeah, give it to me!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Every ID I've seen in Taiwan or China has had the exposure so blown out that people just look like a white blob with eyes. I always wondered what was even the point of photo IDs if everyone does that.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

New dystopian nightmare incoming

loving "brain-wave trackers" because that's a thing which really exists and works flawlessly.

I remember being at a trade convention for those things, the various companies who make them desperately trying to figure out what they could use them for. Mostly it was "uh... you could meditate with it I guess?"

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

On closer inspection I believe the lines are coming out of the top of Russia anyway.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I find regular old orange pekoe, cooled and with a bunch of milk and sugar tastes pretty much exactly right.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I wasn't a fan of hotpot in Taiwan. A bunch of boiled food and salty water, and hotpot shops were more numerous than Tim Hortons in Canada. I was also biased against them because my favorite place had to change to yet another hotpot shop to make money.

Since then I've come around on hotpot and eat it a lot at home. Not sure if it's the better ingredients or what.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember a Korean woman saying that Korean women would try to date Chinese guys to avoid Korean guys and wondering how awful Korean guys must be. It seems like they could just arrange a trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Tarkus posted:

I used to think this but consider the people who generally participate in athletics, children and adolescents. They're already put through a meat grinder when training, no need to incentivise pumping them full of drugs and hormones.

I also assume there's a safety difference between an amount that's at least somewhat difficult to detect and trying to hit the limit of chemicals you can take before your heart explodes.